Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | The Faster We Go the Rounder We Get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Is Trevor Lewis much better than Sheahan?

He's stupidly fast and has a much higher compete level. In terms of production, there's probably not a substantive difference between them (although Lewis is comfortably on pace for a career high in points this year), but yeah, I think he's better. Is he what we need? It's hard to say, but he's worth exploring.

Reactions: Tom Hanks and KIRK

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
He's stupidly fast and has a much higher compete level. In terms of production, there's probably not a substantive difference between them (although Lewis is comfortably on pace for a career high in points this year), but yeah, I think he's better. Is he what we need? It's hard to say, but he's worth exploring.

I think Lewis on 3C and Sheahan at 4C is pretty sweet.

While I am ok with RS as a 3C, it would be nice to do a bit better. RS as a4C would be pretty damn good. Replacing him with Lewis would be pretty sweet. I like that guy a lot.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Great analysis of his game. Really well done.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but at least back it up with some substance.

45% CF this year and last, -4% CF relative to his teammates (6th worse on the team), producing points this year at a rate only slightly better than Riley Sheahan (.36 ppg Pageau, .31 Sheahan).

About the only positive thing I can say about him is he does score a little bit, at least historically (he was up to .40 ppg last year).

It'd be a disaster if we moved major assets for this guy. He's not worth it.

Reactions: NeedleInTheHay

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I think Lewis on 3C and Sheahan at 4C is pretty sweet.

While I am ok with RS as a 3C, it would be nice to do a bit better. RS as a4C would be pretty damn good. Replacing him with Lewis would be pretty sweet. I like that guy a lot.

Yeah, he's increasingly appealing the more I think about it. His contract is fantastic, though, so he'd probably be expensive.

CanadianPensFan1

Jun 13, 2014
Canada
Yeah, he's increasingly appealing the more I think about it. His contract is fantastic, though, so he'd probably be expensive.

Absolutely. Expensive is relative though. I"m not sure what it would cost nor will I venture a guess but it might be worth it. That would be some pretty insane center depth on 3 and 4.

Now the question becomes .. would Lewis work with our existing crop of wingers? Maybe. Maybe not. But I think its worth exploring.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'm curious, what do people think about bringing in Shaw as the 3C? I mentioned it last night, it's an interesting idea. He has basically the same contract as Bonino, but I think he might be a better fit here as the 3C.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Absolutely. Expensive is relative though. I"m not sure what it would cost nor will I venture a guess but it might be worth it. That would be some pretty insane center depth on 3 and 4.

Now the question becomes .. would Lewis work with our existing crop of wingers? Maybe. Maybe not. But I think its worth exploring.

I'm pretty sure he's played on every line for LA except the first, which is definitely a point in his favor as far as adaptability. His speed game seems like a good fit on paper, although it goes without saying that there's more to line chemistry than that.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Great idea, absolutely the type of player we need. Plus that cap hit is great. I've also always secretly hoped the pens would acquire Tanner Pearson.

I just flat out figured Pearson wouldn't be available. He's definitely a guy i'd be happy with for sure.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Lewis is on track for a career year after a career full of stats you'd give a hard no to and he's doing it with a S% about half again as good as any he's previously had. Not saying definitely not but they do make me a bit cautious on the idea.

Saints11

Jan 24, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm curious, what do people think about bringing in Shaw as the 3C? I mentioned it last night, it's an interesting idea. He has basically the same contract as Bonino, but I think he might be a better fit here as the 3C.
Isn’t Shaw still injured in Montreal?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Lewis is a solid add, but he's not a 3C. He might be one of those fits that is better than the quality of player and everything gels, but I don't see how he's a better offensive player than Sheahan.

He's had seasons of 11, 25, 16, and 24 over the last 4 full seasons. He's on pace for a career year, but has a shooting % double his career average. He's also terrible in the faceoff dot at a career 42.5%.

He's a Hagelin replacement IMO that can play center.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Isn’t Shaw still injured in Montreal?

Yeah he got injured about 10 days ago. That's not a move that would happen right now, that's likely a move that would happen in about 3 weeks from now if Shaw is healthy by then.

Shaw might be someone you can actually get for a package of Cole and a 2nd, because he was traded for 2 2nds not that long ago.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Lewis is a solid add, but he's not a 3C. He might be one of those fits that is better than the quality of player and everything gels, but I don't see how he's a better offensive player than Sheahan.

He's had seasons of 11, 25, 16, and 24 over the last 4 full seasons. He's on pace for a career year, but has a shooting % double his career average. He's also terrible in the faceoff dot at a career 42.5%.

That was my thinking. I like him or Sheahan as the 4th line centre but not keen on one of them as the 3rd line centre. Being terrible at faceoffs is a bigger downer too.

Reactions: Shady Machine

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

I think JR's cards were shown. He was flat out looking at Vegas and Vegas only. Duchene was a hail mary if price came down. Pageau/Bozak are too pricey and i'm 100% sure JR asked.

It's time to think outside the box. People can post Sheahan's stats all they want, he doesn't mesh with Kessel and the team needs Kessel to be on his own line with a player who meshes well with him to dominate. So i'm just looking outside the box right now for ideas. Sheahan needs to play L4 C on this team. He may be a 3C on other teams, but he looks like garbage with Kessel.

edit: Post #66. Nothing better. Lemieux is a hockey god.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I think JR's cards were shown. He was flat out looking at Vegas and Vegas only. Duchene was a hail mary if price came down. Pageau/Bozak are too pricey and i'm 100% sure JR asked.

It's time to think outside the box. People can post Sheahan's stats all they want, he doesn't mesh with Kessel and the team needs Kessel to be on his own line with a player who meshes well with him to dominate. So i'm just looking outside the box right now for ideas. Sheahan needs to play L4 C on this team. He may be a 3C on other teams, but he looks like garbage with Kessel.

edit: Post #66. Nothing better. Lemieux is a hockey god.

I agree we need another center. I just hope it's a good center and not one we pay through the nose for only to get a mediocre contribution.

Reactions: ColePens

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If they're gonna keep Guentzel-Kessel together (which I'm not sure is smart away from Geno), then a Hags-esque guy who can play centre might be an idea. Can always ride Guentzel for the face offs. That bit of it does at least make sense to me.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
If they're gonna keep Guentzel-Kessel together (which I'm not sure is smart away from Geno), then a Hags-esque guy who can play centre might be an idea. Can always ride Guentzel for the face offs. That bit of it does at least make sense to me.

It's why I'm thinking about Shaw as a potential fit for that line. You need someone who's smart defensively and physical to slide between Guentzel and Kessel (or Sheary and Kessel). Shaw certainly is that.

Daeni10

Kunitz was there
Dec 31, 2013
Cologne
How much impact has Cole not seeing any action this month on his trade value? What do you guys think?

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
How much impact has Cole not seeing any action this month on his trade value? What do you guys think?

Cole being a healthy scratch combined with playing like garbage while hes in the lineup has to hurt his value.

I'm sure he still has some value, but not as much as he would of had before the season.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Great analysis of his game. Really well done.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but at least back it up with some substance.
Check my last like 20 posts that have statistical analysis of Pageau , Sheahan and Bonino.

On another note, Paajarvi on waivers. He's better than literally everyone that's played on the Pens 4th line this year.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Check my last like 20 posts that have statistical analysis of Pageau , Sheahan and Bonino.

On another note, Paajarvi on waivers. He's better than literally everyone that's played on the Pens 4th line this year.

Have you watched any of them though?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Cole being a healthy scratch combined with playing like garbage while hes in the lineup has to hurt his value.

I'm sure he still has some value, but not as much as he would of had before the season.

Yeah from playing like garbage sure. Showing your floor doesnt help your trade value. But not playing isnt hurting anything. It might actually be helping if he continued to play poorly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad