Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | The Faster We Go the Rounder We Get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Phil Kessel is a top 10 offensive player in the NHL. Sheahan can't produce playing with Phil. Sheahan is not an acceptable 3rd line center.

Define "can't produce". Sheahan has contributed on multiple goals from that line.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You just can´t explicitly say this. You just can´t. No matter how you overrate Sheahan, no 3rd line line with him is guaranteed to be "incredibly effective"..

That's not me overrating Sheahan, I don't want him in the top-9. However, if you put Hornqvist and Kane with him, I really doubt your 3rd line is going to be anything short of phenomenal. You're putting 2 top line wingers that mask Sheahan's weaknesses well with Sheahan. Even with a poor 3C, that's still a great line just because of how good the wingers are.

Anything but Sheahan in the top 9.

I agree, but you might not have another option. If the options are Letestu or Sheahan, I'd rather try and make Sheahan work there. And if your 3rd line wingers are Kane and Hornqvist, does your 3C matter that much? Sure, you can't have Rowney there, but is Sheahan with Kane and Hornqvist such a problem?

I don't like Sheahan on the 3rd line role, but they might not have any better options and I think the dislike some people have of Sheahan is a little overblown. If Sheahan is your 4th best center, you're in a very good spot with your centers.

But but but... Kane-Sheahan-Hornqvist would be "incredibly effective"... Man, is Empoleon annoying with Sheahan :help:

Do you ever provide anything of substance or do you just waste your time attacking people? Serious question, because you seem to do that extremely often. In response to a post where I said "Pouliot sucks", you responded with "YOU DEFENDED HIM A BUNCH!!!!".

Last edited:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I want my Pageau yesterday. Time for the rubber to hit the road here...I'm sick of watching godforsaken Guentzel-Sheahan-Kessel already, and it shows no signs of slowing down.

Are you willing to pay the price? I suspect the people who have guessed that it could get done for Sprong and a small plus are going to be sorely disappointed. Think Sprong and a small plus PLUS a 1st, because it's my understanding that's where Ottawa's ask is.

Maybe they lower their ask. Maybe they settle for photographic proof of Matt Cooke on the grassy knoll instead. But, failing that . . .

That's not me overrating Sheahan, I don't want him in the top-9. However, if you put Hornqvist and Kane with him, I really doubt your 3rd line is going to be anything short of phenomenal. You're putting 2 top line wingers that mask Sheahan's weaknesses well with Sheahan. Even with a poor 3C, that's still a great line just because of how good the wingers are.

That depends on how liberally one defines phenomenal.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Tht depends on how liberally one defines phenomenal.

I'd say that line would be really good offensively because of Kane and Hornqvist and good defensively because of Sheahan and Kane. I wouldn't be concerned with that 3rd line if the Penguins ended the season with that 3rd line. The issue is that you couldn't retain that line after this year, because you can't re-sign both Hornqvist and Kane.

I'd love to add a better 3C than Sheahan, but at this point, who can the Penguins even get? I like Plekanec as a center for Kessel, but people who have watched him more have been very critical of his game. There's Letestu, who is awful at ES. I'd love Pageau, but it sounds like the asking price is ridiculous for him. I don't see many options out there. The only other center on TSN's trade bait is Shaw, which is an interesting thought but I think his contract would prevent that.

Shaw is an interesting thought, to be honest. He's 26 and has 4 years left at $3.9 million, so he'd be a long term solution here. He's a right handed shot, which the Penguins lack. He brings some physicality for sure and he has had good offensive numbers over the years. He has been a 3C on cup winning teams twice with a pretty good playoff resume (35 points in 64 games from 2012 to 2016). Interesting thought if the cap could work.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
That's not me overrating Sheahan, I don't want him in the top-9. However, if you put Hornqvist and Kane with him, I really doubt your 3rd line is going to be anything short of phenomenal. You're putting 2 top line wingers that mask Sheahan's weaknesses well with Sheahan. Even with a poor 3C, that's still a great line just because of how good the wingers are

Do you ever provide anything of substance or do you just waste your time attacking people? Serious question, because you seem to do that extremely often. In response to a post where I said "Pouliot sucks", you responded with "YOU DEFENDED HIM A BUNCH!!!!".
A) Center is always a key for the line. No point of having good wingers when you are having a 4th line calibre centre on that line. Paying a big price for Kane and then playing him with Riley Sheahan is no bueno.

B) It just looked weird to me that a guy who defended Pouliot a lot in the past is now bumping a thread to bash him, since he is in Vancouver now. That´s all. I think we can all agree that he absolutely sucks and always did.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
A) Center is always a key for the line. No point of having good wingers when you are having a 4th line calibre centre on that line. Paying a big price for Kane and then playing him with Riley Sheahan is no bueno.

But the issue is you might not have anyone else better to play him with, speaking in terms of Kane on the 3rd line. There aren't many good centers available for reasonable prices right now, as far as I can tell.

At this point, I'm expecting them to bring in Letestu, and I think I've made my option of Letestu crystal clear :laugh:

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Are you willing to pay the price? I suspect the people who have guessed that it could get done for Sprong and a small plus are going to be sorely disappointed. Think Sprong and a small plus PLUS a 1st, because it's my understanding that's where Ottawa's ask is.

Maybe they lower their ask. Maybe they settle for photographic proof of Matt Cooke on the grassy knoll instead. But, failing that . . .

Craziness, if that's the case. I don't know of any team throwing around 1sts and Sprong calibre prospects for 3rd line centers.

Will Hunting

Immortal Adams
Dec 14, 2011
European Union
But the issue is you might not have anyone else better to play him with, speaking in terms of Kane on the 3rd line. There aren't many good centers available for reasonable prices right now, as far as I can tell.

At this point, I'm expecting them to bring in Letestu, and I think I've made my option of Letestu crystal clear :laugh:
You either go all-in or just make some solid tweaks. Acquiring Kane and then playing him with Sheahan is a very risky business. I really think we have to start with that 3C and operate from there. If we can add him and then still have a chance for Kane, then ok. But 3C shoud be a priority and everything else is a bonus.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Craziness, if that's the case. I don't know of any team throwing around 1sts and Sprong calibre prospects for 3rd line centers.
No one wants a 3C more than I do, but if that indeed is the ask, that tells me OTT really doesn't want to make a deal with us.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Well, I don’t see why any team is throwing the back to back cup winners the solution to what ails them for cheap on that same thought process.

Surely there's a middle ground between throwing us a solution for cheap and that hilarious offer. If that's what they're looking for, then my impression is that they're not actually looking to move Pageau, but feel that we might get desperate enough to cut off our nose to spite our face so they don't want to flat out say "no sale" just in case.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Surely there's a middle ground between throwing us a solution for cheap and that hilarious offer. If that's what they're looking for, then my impression is that they're not actually looking to move Pageau, but feel that we might get desperate enough to cut off our nose to spite our face so they don't want to flat out say "no sale" just in case.

This. He's still their only center signed past next season. I do not think Dorion wants to move him - at least not before he's had a chance to really get Duchene and/or Brassard's contracts/plans for their next contracts sorted out. But like most people... he's prepared to make an exception if someone is stupid enough to offer up both arms and a leg for him.

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
No one wants a 3C more than I do, but if that indeed is the ask, that tells me OTT really doesn't want to make a deal with us.

Yeah, if that is indeed the opening salvo, that's either a "f*** off" offer, or they believe we're on the verge of making a panic trade. Neither one of those is a good look. :laugh:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I feel like 90% of the time a player is available for trade in the NHL, they're only actually available for a dream haul. The other 10% being times when a team really needs the trade return or has absolutely no use for the player. Ottawa dangling half their roster and saying no to all offers (if the rumours are to be believed) is no different.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I mean the weird way this season has played out, teams who have Centers that are expendable are either contenders or are teams with no interest in helping the Pens out... its like when we desperately needed wingers and the same situation arose later in the Bylsma era....

Our best bet, outside of overpayment, is to stay relevant to the deadline, then, while everyone chases the top two or 3 centers that are available, target one or two of tge high end middle prospect trade available centers and hope the GM panic trades them while attention is focused on the top centers...

Happens at some position every year

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I personally would be very interested to see what LA values Trevor Lewis. I really liked @Honour Over Glory talking about that guy. I've always noticed him in games. He holds some serious value, i'm sure, but I wonder if we can get some goal scoring their way and make it happen.

2 years left at 2m.

Reactions: KIRK

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I personally would be very interested to see what LA values Trevor Lewis. I really liked @Honour Over Glory talking about that guy. I've always noticed him in games. He holds some serious value, i'm sure, but I wonder if we can get some goal scoring their way and make it happen.

2 years left at 2m.
Great idea, absolutely the type of player we need. Plus that cap hit is great. I've also always secretly hoped the pens would acquire Tanner Pearson.

Reactions: ColePens
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad