Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Calm Before the Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
A lot of folks around here seem to think we aren't but our forward group is so deep I can't see us missing the playoffs without big injuries.

And from there it's not much of a stretch to say we're a Cup contender given how this year's playoffs went and how that seemed to indicate it was anyone's Cup for the taking.

Mind you my opinion could change if we trade Kessel for crap or do something insane like move Malkin or Letang.

I think we're a bubble playoff team right now, how likely, to borrow your point, depending upon the extent of injuries.

And, even with this 'deep' forward group, the defense's lack of consistency, outside of Letang, driving offense is a killer (yes, Schultz, I know, but Jack Johnson neutralizes him, along with Malkin, who Sullivan so generously sticks behind him more regularly than anyone else).

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Which is why we need Johnson for cheaper -- via CBA loop hole.

Pens send Johnson (and maybe extras) to Team A
Team A sends Johnson (with perhaps salary retained) to Team B
Team B sends Johnson (with perhaps salary retained) back to the Pens -- Pens maybe send extras to this team

Pens now have a cheaper Johnson via trades. Loophole.

tenor.gif

Johnson via two teams trading him, back at 50% = saves $1.625M
Kessel for Zucker = saves $1.300M
(this should cover Pettersson's new contract)

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Zucker-Malkin-Hornqvist
McCann-Bjugstad-Rust
Simon-Blueger-ZAR
Wilson (I'm assuming)

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola-Gudbranson
Ruhwedel
----------
Johnson

Murray-Murray (j/k, DeSmith)

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
I think we're a bubble playoff team right now, how likely, to borrow your point, depending upon the extent of injuries.

And, even with this 'deep' forward group, the defense's lack of consistency, outside of Letang, driving offense is a killer (yes, Schultz, I know, but Jack Johnson neutralizes him, along with Malkin, who Sullivan so generously sticks behind him more regularly than anyone else).

If FLA lands Panarin/Bob - that pushes the Atlantic to host at least one of the wild cards this coming season imo. Toronto/Boston/Tampa/FLA are good bets for the playoffs - with the first 3 virtual locks.

This is the first year in a while where I tend to disagree that our forward group alone is guaranteeing us anything. It took us 81 games last year - it may very well take 82 this season WITHOUT JJ. The East is just looking to be too stacked to chance anything on sheltered D-men, one-line forwards, or going out to lunch for 15 game stretches. The Rangers and Devils are already improved from last year and it doesn't appear that the NYI/Carolina/Philly are going to stay put either.

Reactions: KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Won't any other team besides us be on the hook for $8M if they acquire Kessel? Correct me if I'm wrong, but the $1.2M retained by the Leafs doesn't transfer to any other team.

No, it transfers. Whoever acquires Kessel is only on the hook for the Pens part.

Cut down on the juice, will ya? :D

Reactions: UnrealMachine

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd honestly prefer Archibald over Aston-Reese.

Why are you comparing them? There's a spot for both if you trade Rust to get cap compliant.

And anyway, I'm not surprised that this board heavily upvotes a post saying that they'd prefer the fast player over the physical player. That's like asking a kid if they like pizza or vegetables more :laugh:

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Johnson via two teams trading him, back at 50% = saves $1.625M
Kessel for Zucker = saves $1.300M
(this should cover Pettersson's new contract)

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Zucker-Malkin-Hornqvist
McCann-Bjugstad-Rust
Simon-Blueger-ZAR
Wilson (I'm assuming)

Dumoulin-Letang
Pettersson-Schultz
Riikola-Gudbranson
Ruhwedel
----------
Johnson

Murray-Murray (j/k, DeSmith)

I'd bury Johnson in the minors and recall him ONLY in the hope someone claims him for half his salary

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Wait, active managers/coaches get inducted into the hall of fame? I find it weird that players have to be retired for a certain amount of time (unless you're an amazing player), but GMs and coaches can get put in the HOF while still active.

Reactions: Scandale du Jour

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Wait, active managers/coaches get inducted into the hall of fame? I find it weird that players have to be retired for a certain amount of time (unless you're an amazing player), but GMs and coaches can get put in the HOF while still active.

It makes sense when you consider most GMs and coaches are substantially older than the players. Probably better to induct them while they're still alive and not senile.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Malkin is definitely the wild card. Can he rebound, and can that even be expected if he's constantly playing in front of JJ?

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Malkin is definitely the wild card. Can he rebound, and can that even be expected if he's constantly playing in front of JJ?

Malkin always has been the wildcard, for better or worse. It's something the organization has never fully appreciated, at least if you judge by how management and coaches approach him (and his usage).

Reactions: Pancakes

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I somehow always forget about the Redden Route. Doing this would only have Johnson count for $550k on the NHL roster (when in the minors), I think.

I don't think you can bury that much. BUT, you can bury 1.075M. I'd rather have another Riikola, a couple hundred grand extra cap space, and Johnson nowhere near this team than Johnson on the NHL club.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I don't think you can bury that much. BUT, you can bury 1.075M. I'd rather have another Riikola, a couple hundred grand extra cap space, and Johnson nowhere near this team than Johnson on the NHL club.

Oh, I meant Johnson at 50% retained. $1.625M - $1.075M = $550k. I thought you meant bury Johnson in the minors after he's back to the Pens at 50%.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Oh, I meant Johnson at 50% retained. $1.625M - $1.075M = $550k. I thought you meant bury Johnson in the minors after he's back to the Pens at 50%.

I think we're speaking the same language here, but if someone claimed Johnson off re-entry waivers, then the Pens eat 50%, which saves about 1.625M. BUT, if nobody wants him even then, I'd just leave him in the minors and save the 1.075M. Even THEN, the Pens are better off with another Riikola type and the few hundred grand then they are with Johnson on the big club.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad