Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Calm Before the Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts podcast: several teams are interested in Jason Zucker

call me weird, idc but i still want Zucker

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Especially when the hero spends 24 months doing (almost) everything in his power to expedite the process?

(all is lost)

Blues were ready to sell off The Tank and their other best players and go full rebuild in December. By June they were holding the Cup.

Hope is only lost to me when Malkin and Crosby retire.

I’m wary of what Jim “Pushback” Rutherford will do, but I’m giving him another year before I join the lynch mob.

We’ll know within a month if he’s gotten back on track or not.

Last edited:

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
And that's not even going into the improvements that the Pens have already made with a (hopefully) healthy Schultz, full seasons from Bjugstad and McCann instead of Brassard and Sheahan, and the addition of Kahun.
Ok, I agree with nearly all of your post, but for this part, it's also a full season minus Maatta, which means more minutes for JJ and Gudbranson. Maatta got a lot of deserved criticism because he flatly cannot skate. But his positioning, stickwork, body positioning, boardwork, gap control, and lane control will be missed.

Reactions: Andy99 and domaug

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Ok, I agree with nearly all of your post, but for this part, it's also a full season minus Maatta, which means more minutes for JJ and Gudbranson. Maatta got a lot of deserved criticism because he flatly cannot skate. But his positioning, stickwork, body positioning, boardwork, gap control, and lane control will be missed.
I don't think it effects JMFJ's minutes at all as he was mainly filling in on the right side since Schultz was out and they didn't have Gudbranson yet.

I do have reservations about Gudbranson, but if he continues his play with the Pens, I don't think it is much of a downgrade from Maatta if at all.

Plus 30 extra games from Petts.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
they need to move cap first before they can even consider a legit signing, so we'll see what they do

No they do not. They have 3 months plus to be cap compliant. They can be 10% over the cap for that time period which is roughly 13.0 in space at the moment. That's roughly 5.0 in space they have now plus the 10% of 81.5 which translates to 8.150.

Would take some balls to do it, but for the right player it would be worth it.

domaug

Play Virtua Fighter, let's go Pens
Sep 28, 2017
up de Eynon
No they do not. They have 3 months plus to be cap compliant. They can be 10% over the cap for that time period which is roughly 13.0 in space at the moment. That's roughly 5.0 in space they have now plus the 10% of 81.5 which translates to 8.150.

who would be the right player? and the Pens would have to give up assets to unload contracts like Johnson and Gudbranson, assuming those would be the odd guys out in the mind of JR.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Elliotte Friedman's 31 Thoughts podcast: several teams are interested in Jason Zucker

call me weird, idc but i still want Zucker
You're not weird, he's a great player. He'd be a fantastic addition if we could land him, and I think he'd definitely return to his 65pt potential on a line with Sid and Jake.

Everyone wants Ehlers, but over the past several years he's been pretty much identical to Zucker in terms of production; goals, points, points at ES, etc.

Landing both would be a franchise saving summer, but I'll definitely take either one.

Reactions: domaug

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Problem with doing this is then teams know 100% we are screwed with the cap and would ask for the world in a trade with us.

Really would be a very dumb move to do.

Only positive I could fathom out of that scenario is the Penguins FO having not other option but to be forced into buying out Jack Johnson in a last ditch effort to clear cap space.

Reactions: TheTang58

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
If JR had cap space we'd be pursuing

1. Ferland
2. Simmonds
3. Myers
4. Phaneuf

It wouldn’t surprise me if Perry was on that list too....could we find someone under 30 on his list who isn’t overrated...lol

Let’s just hope he makes some hockey trades and doesn’t get much space back..

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If we did go for a free agent, particularly in a scenario where Kessel was deffo going to be traded, I wouldn't mind checking in on Donskoi's price. He'd bring some more speed game and is a great pusher of play and ES scorer; he's a good PP forward too, but wasn't used there last season, which might bring his value down.

I'd also have an interest in Zuccs (although I'd be scared of that term at that age) and Nyquist, although I'm not utterly sure where he'd fit here. Nobody else much jumps off the page right now.

Defence wise there's nothing really going. I'm content to sit free agency out.

Reactions: JackFr

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If we did go for a free agent, particularly in a scenario where Kessel was deffo going to be traded, I wouldn't mind checking in on Donskoi's price. He'd bring some more speed game and is a great pusher of play and ES scorer; he's a good PP forward too, but wasn't used there last season, which might bring his value down.

I'd also have an interest in Zuccs (although I'd be scared of that term at that age) and Nyquist, although I'm not utterly sure where he'd fit here. Nobody else much jumps off the page right now.

Defence wise there's nothing really going. I'm content to sit free agency out.

My list is Lee or Zucc and then some of the depth guys after like Ferland (will be overpriced), Donskoi, Dzingel.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

I really wish someone would directly ask about their cap projections for next year, I want to see where JR thinks they're at with the cap.

There's that change word again.

JR really wants to make moves badly. I think that he hasn't has suggested not a lack of willingness but a lack of good moves available.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

I really wish someone would directly ask about their cap projections for next year, I want to see where JR thinks they're at with the cap.

Lol...this is what he was really thinking when asked where he goes from here: “I’m going to head to PF Chang’s for some lunch, then I’m going to take a nap, and then I’m going to try my hardest to build this team to be harder to play against with big physical guys even as Phil thwarts me, and then I’m going to continue to work on that three-year extension of Johnson’s contract”

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I hope things go off after July 1st because the more this summer drags on with Phil and JJ on this team, and Geno having zero wingers that fit, the worse I feel about our chances of A. making the playoffs this upcoming season, and B. righting the ship to the point of legitimately competing for Cups again before Geno and Tanger are gone in three years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad