Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: The Calm Before the Storm?

Status
Not open for further replies.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I hope things go off after July 1st because the more this summer drags on with Phil and JJ on this team, and Geno having zero wingers that fit, the worse I feel about our chances of A. making the playoffs this upcoming season, and B. righting the ship to the point of legitimately competing for Cups again before Geno and Tanger are gone in three years.

Meh Remember Rutherford has rebuilt this team on the fly before... hell we dumped a useless Scuderi for a defensive glue guy in Daley...Rutherford rebuild the Bylsma mess into a grit team that failed, rebuilt that into a defensive team that failed then went from a defensive team to speed scoring possession team in half a year and won a cup....

One thing about Rutherford is he is the closest thing to a video game GM the league has

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Meh Remember Rutherford has rebuilt this team on the fly before... hell we dumped a useless Scuderi for a defensive glue guy in Daley...Rutherford rebuild the Bylsma mess into a grit team that failed, rebuilt that into a defensive team that failed then went from a defensive team to speed scoring possession team in half a year and won a cup....

One thing about Rutherford is he is the closest thing to a video game GM the league has
it wouldn't surprise me if he makes a few moves and launch us back to a Cup. It also wouldn't surprise me if he makes a few terrible moves and kills us. He's a gunslinger. I'd be most surprised to see us stagnate for long.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
At this point unless it's Kessel for Zucker or trading Johnson I'll take nothing over something.

I agree with the poster above that Donskoi would be a good target but we just don't have a spot for him.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
The problem I think is there are too many teams.. at 31 GMs there is a high chance that there are 2 dumb enough to think Simmonds has a lot of hockey left and start a bidding war.

Reactions: Jules Winnfield

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019

I think the big difference is that Sid and Geno are 32/33 now, not 26/27. If JR doesn't have an absolutely exceptional next 18 months, we're in some deep shit. :laugh:

It's commendable what JR and Botts did after they picked up the scraps Shero left behind. It's also embarrassing how one guy, Tom Wilson, got into JR's head so bad that he essentially self-sabotaged this team into mediocrity.

Reactions: madinsomniac

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
I think we're speaking the same language here, but if someone claimed Johnson off re-entry waivers, then the Pens eat 50%, which saves about 1.625M. BUT, if nobody wants him even then, I'd just leave him in the minors and save the 1.075M. Even THEN, the Pens are better off with another Riikola type and the few hundred grand then they are with Johnson on the big club.

Never assume you're speaking the same language as me. :laugh:

Reactions: KIRK and ChaosAgent

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Kahun is intriguing in that he could fall anywhere from 1RW to 3LW to 4C. He apparently can play each forward spot and has the skill to play with top players. Or he is just another body. Hoping for the best!

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
People here *****ing that JR isn't making enough changes/moves... then people are *****ing that JR says he wants to change the team & make moves and people piss & moan about that. I can't be banned soon enough again having to read all these idiot's posts. UGH.

It’s almost like this place is comprised of individuals with different opinions and aren’t a collective hivemind, like literally every human community.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
I think the big difference is that Sid and Geno are 32/33 now, not 26/27. If JR doesn't have an absolutely exceptional next 18 months, we're in some deep ****. :laugh:

It's commendable what JR and Botts did after they picked up the scraps Shero left behind. It's also embarrassing how one guy, Tom Wilson, got into JR's head so bad that he essentially self-sabotaged this team into mediocrity.
Yea I mean I can never hate JR. He brought us 2 cups and now the sid and geno era has 3 at worst. Can’t really complain about that.

I’m hoping a retool gets us one more, but even if it doesn’t I’m just gonna choose to enjoy these last years sid and geno have because once they’re gone....

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
The problem I think is there are too many teams.. at 31 GMs there is a high chance that there are 2 dumb enough to think Simmonds has a lot of hockey left and start a bidding war.

I think we employ one of the them...

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

Didnt know this but regardless, it isnt JR's MO.

His MO as of late is to make awful decisions.

Maybe he should make an offer sheet since he isn’t very good at drafting and the draft picks will eventually be traded anyways. Go get Aho, JR.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
You're not weird, he's a great player. He'd be a fantastic addition if we could land him, and I think he'd definitely return to his 65pt potential on a line with Sid and Jake.

Everyone wants Ehlers, but over the past several years he's been pretty much identical to Zucker in terms of production; goals, points, points at ES, etc.

Landing both would be a franchise saving summer, but I'll definitely take either one.

I'm not concerned about a player fitting with Sid. Sid has Guenztel, and has shown he can work with McCann, Simon, Rust and Hornqvist on the other side. Kahun may also work there.

Find me players for Geno.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I'm not concerned about a player fitting with Sid. Sid has Guenztel, and has shown he can work with McCann, Simon, Rust and Hornqvist on the other side. Kahun may also work there.

Find me players for Geno.
While I agree that Geno needs a ton of help, Sid's RW needs a permanent guy. Simon's a third liner. Hornqvist and Sid can't seem to get along well enough to play together for any length of time. Rust is better with Geno, but I'd prefer him on the third line as well.

You're right about Geno though. That dude needs his Jake badly.

Zucker vaults that Sid/Jake line into the stratosphere too. He'd be an incredible guy on their wing, and would make that the best line in the league, imo. That's important, because this is a one-line team at the moment.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
His MO as of late is to make awful decisions.

Maybe he should make an offer sheet since he isn’t very good at drafting and the draft picks will eventually be traded anyways. Go get Aho, JR.
Other than JJ and maybe Guds, what awful desicions has he made that has effected this roster?

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Other than JJ and maybe Guds, what awful desicions has he made that has effected this roster?
That might be my favorite thing about JR- when he makes a mistake, he corrects it. He doesn't let it fester like Shero did.

Hire Johnston. Doesn't work out? Fire him after like 100 games.
Acquire Perron. Doesn't work out? Ship him elsewhere.
Acquire Pearson. Doesn't go quite as planned? Move on.

I just hope he sees it with JJ.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad