Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Stanley Cup Champions Summertime Blue's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
To be fair, JR didn’t even understand the salary retention rule and then tried to illegally re-acquire Hagelin at the TDL.

Which is a huge tell about who is primarily to blame for this post 2017 disfunction. It was JR who flipped shit about having to change the identity vs Ottawa and it was Sullivan who basically benched the tough guys JR tried to bring in.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
To be honest I forgot they even crossed paths in NY.

Apparently it wasn’t for a very substantial amount of time so I feel ya. I just looked it up and realized that Brassard was in Columbus for a few years before NYR, forgot about that.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Maybe we’d still have Ian Cole if JR didn’t unnecessarily sign Hunwick to a ****ty deal or you know.. offered him a contract at any point.

Just like Bonino, Daley, Kunitz, etc.
Your shit holds water if Hunwick was crap the whole time he was with us, he wasn't. He was actually a decent add to the defense until he suffered a concussion and was never the same when he returned.

And as for the Sully and Brassard thing, I definitely read it in an article, I just can't find it. I am not going to talk about that shit if I didn't see it for certain. I 100% saw it for certain.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Your **** holds water if Hunwick was crap the whole time he was with us, he wasn't. He was actually a decent add to the defense until he suffered a concussion and was never the same when he returned.

And as for the Sully and Brassard thing, I definitely read it in an article, I just can't find it. I am not going to talk about that **** if I didn't see it for certain. I 100% saw it for certain.

Hunwick always sucked and sucked the majority of his career which is why he was regularly scratched except for one year where he overachieved on a bad team.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What is the truth? Hunwick was good before the concussion. So Hunwick was good in six games?
I don't care if it was 6 or 4 games, he looked serviceable before he got hurt. He wasn't the only one that looked out of sorts after a concussion that year, Justin Schultz also looked like a lost man that season.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
It’s everyone’s fault we had a poor exit this year.

JR took a long time to fix the forwards but never fixed the D to suit our style better (he’s had 2 years).

Players fault for those who had poor seasons. Most were underwhelming in the playoffs that effort was terrible. If you lose and you’ve played well fine but that was gross.

Coaches fault for not being able to channel that instinct we once had to battle through the diversity and play as a team.

Also to adjust the game plan to suit the roster but again that D really screwed us (pun not intended :laugh:) and has an effect on how the players can perform too. Frustrating for everyone at ice level and the fans.

A lot of it I suspect was on JR though. We’ll see what he does from here.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So Trouba was traded for.. not a lot.

Does Chevy suck at things not drafting? :popcorn:

Or maybe his options were limited by Trouba and his willingness to sign a long term contract elsewhere? Wouldn't be the first time that's happened. He has 2 RFA seasons left before he's a UFA. So while he doesn't have total control, he has enough power to limit things.

And in addition while I don't think all that highly of Poink, he is an RD who over his NHL career (101 games), has played at a 32pt pace and is seen as a PMD. For someone who's 24 and who's only played 2 years of pro... there's definitely some potential there. And he's going to be cheap to sign. Odds are good that he signs for less than 3.5m a season over a year or two (I'd guess 2). That like with the Maatta deal holds some value in and of itself when you have expensive contracts to sign.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe we’d still have Ian Cole if JR didn’t unnecessarily sign Hunwick to a ****ty deal or you know.. offered him a contract at any point.

Just like Bonino, Daley, Kunitz, etc.

I'm with you on the Hunwick point, but Cole was 100% on Sullivan.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Or maybe his options were limited by Trouba and his willingness to sign a long term contract elsewhere? Wouldn't be the first time that's happened. He has 2 RFA seasons left before he's a UFA. So while he doesn't have total control, he has enough power to limit things.

And in addition while I don't think all that highly of Poink, he is an RD who over his NHL career (101 games), has played at a 32pt pace and is seen as a PMD. For someone who's 24 and who's only played 2 years of pro... there's definitely some potential there. And he's going to be cheap to sign. Odds are good that he signs for less than 3.5m a season over a year or two (I'd guess 2). That like with the Maatta deal holds some value in and of itself when you have expensive contracts to sign.

Some value. But much like Niskanen for Gudas you’re moving out one of your top two defensemen for cap space.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
What is the truth? Hunwick was good before the concussion. So Hunwick was good in six games?

Even Toronto was happy to see him gone. He was scratched on every team that went to the playoffs he was on.
Except Babs talked about how they tried to retain him but he signed elsewhere.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Man, if we go into the season with JJ and Phil I'm going to be really disappointed.

This summer needs to go well. That means shedding deadweight (JJ, Maatta), and moving players that no longer make sense (Phil, maybe Horny).

If that doesn't happen, we're in a heap of shit for the rest of Geno/Letang's time here.

Reactions: Turin

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
On the bright side Kahun looks good.

They’ve gotten rid of 2 of the 3 really harmful dmen. The problem being that the one they NEED to get rid of is still here. They should have traded Oleksiak, Maatta and Johnson. But only one needed to go.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Some value. But much like Niskanen for Gudas you’re moving out one of your top two defensemen for cap space.

Niskanen was good... but Orlov was starting to surpass him in icetime in Washington. And again... decisions needed to be made. Have a ton of quality depth who can all play 18/20 minutes a night... or hold onto an expensive but good top 3D at a cost of losing depth up front.

As for this trade it was a lot more than just cap space... they got a young NHLer who can play and has been productive so far in his young career and they received a 1st round pick (20th). And Trouba would have been gone within a year or two anyway due to him not being willing to sign a long term deal in Winnipeg - at least at a cap hit that they were willing to touch. Just wait and see what he signs for in New York.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Lol what? Schultz was solid in 17–18.

Hunwick was trash.

He suffered a concussion vs the Oilers that year, it took him a while to get back to his game that season and he did in the latter part of the season.

It's like you're trying to make this easy for me.

The year before that, he had a bad concussion vs the Jets, the dirty POS team that they are.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
Niskanen was good... but Orlov was starting to surpass him in icetime in Washington. And again... decisions needed to be made. Have a ton of quality depth who can all play 18/20 minutes a night... or hold onto an expensive but good top 3D at a cost of losing depth up front.

As for this trade it was a lot more than just cap space... they got a young NHLer who can play and has been productive so far in his young career and they received a 1st round pick (20th). And Trouba would have been gone within a year or two anyway due to him not being willing to sign a long term deal in Winnipeg - at least at a cap hit that they were willing to touch. Just wait and see what he signs for in New York.

Winnipeg is trying to win a cup no?

Regardless of what NY does with Trouba they basically got Trouba and Lemieux for Hayes and a 5th.

They move Trouba and can easily recoup that 1st.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
He suffered a concussion vs the Oilers that year, it took him a while to get back to his game that season and he did in the latter part of the season.

It's like you're trying to make this easy for me.

The year before that, he had a bad concussion vs the Jets, the dirty POS team that they are.

My point being Schultz was good in 17-18. Hunwick wasn’t and was scratched eventually for Ruh.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
My point being Schultz was good in 17-18. Hunwick wasn’t and was scratched eventually for Ruh.
See what you aren't getting are these...

1. Schultz got hurt, took time to get back to the level he was at.
2. Hunwick was decent, got hurt, never looked good again and still has issues from those injuries.
3. You're now repeating the same shit but not getting it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
According to Rags fans, Pionk isnt even that good. Not a top-4 guy on an average team. Sure they didnt have leverage but that trade doesnt make any sense.

According to a good chunk of this board, Simon isn't any good despite pretty much every single advanced stat that says otherwise... so I'd take what a fanbase says with a gain of salt.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad