Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Stanley Cup Champions Summertime Blue's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just on trading the 1st - just seen this bit from Molinari

"“Let’s put it this way,” he said. “I don’t intend to move it, but if we move it, it’s going to be for a good player who’s going to come and help us immediately. I’m not going to move it for a 30-year-old. If somebody offers us somebody under 24 or 25 who’s going to be here for at least five years and he’s a good player, you might have to say, ‘Well, maybe we should do it.’"

I don't know what team is going to trade a 24 or 25 year old player who's going to be here for 5 years for only a 1st round pick, though. That seems similar to the "I'd trade Malkin if I get the right offer for him" quote.

I also don't even know what JR could target with that pick. This lineup is basically full already.

Last edited:
Reactions: molon labe

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Fehr was waived.

Different situation. Perron, Oleksiak, Sheahan, Brassard and Pearson were all acquired in trades. There's a different kind of commitment when you sign a guy in free agency. Especially on a five year deal.

3/01/2017Pittsburgh Penguins traded Eric Fehr, Steve Oleksy and fourth-round draft pick in 2017 to the Toronto Maple Leafs for Frank Corrado.
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

- TheHockeyNews

Reactions: Riptide

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I don't know what team is going to trade a 24 or 25 year old player who's going to be here for 5 years for only a 1st round pick, though. That seems similar to the "I'd trade Malkin if I get the right offer for him" quote.

It doesn’t literally have to be a one for one deal. It could be a player + the 1st for a better player.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I also don't even know what JR could target with that pick. This lineup is basically full already.

It doesn’t literally have to be a one for one deal. It could be a player + the 1st for a better player.

Thanks T.Hanks.

(Why have I never done that before?)

Basically, yeah, what Tom said. Although, at the same time, I do think it sounds a bit similar to Rutherford's various "Come make me a really awesome offer people because elsewise it isn't happening" quotes.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Yeah I edited that in, I don't even know what JR would target with that deal. Their roster is pretty much full already, and you're not going to get a 24 year old defenseman for Johnson and the 1st. I don't even know what else you can do, maybe Simon and a 1st for a top-6 winger? But you don't even need a top-6 winger, you need to trade a top-6 winger if anything.

I could see Rust and the 1st for a legit top-6 LWer, but I question if you have the cap space to make that swap. I just struggle to see how a cash strapped team with a full roster would add a 1st to a roster player to get a better player, when you don't have the cap space to get a more expensive player.

Edit: Schultz and a 1st for a top-4 RD is the deal I could see happening. That's the one that would work better than any other idea.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah I edited that in, I don't even know what JR would target with that deal. Their roster is pretty much full already, and you're not going to get a 24 year old defenseman for Johnson and the 1st. I don't even know what else you can do, maybe Simon and a 1st for a top-6 winger? But you don't even need a top-6 winger, you need to trade a top-6 winger if anything.

I could see Rust and the 1st for a legit top-6 LWer, but I question if you have the cap space to make that swap. I just struggle to see how a cash strapped team with a full roster would add a 1st to a roster player to get a better player, when you don't have the cap space to get a more expensive player.

Yet at the same time, Rutherford's talking like it's not going to be a quiet summer, that he's got a bit of a retool to a different identity going on - and you don't do a retool by trading one dman for a winger and then maybe trading another winger for X.

So something doesn't add up and we'll see what it is - but I think there's a good possibility he's going to get busy sending out roster members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad