Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Stanley Cup Champions Summertime Blue's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You understand why Kessel said no to Minnesota right?

Go look at their C depth.

It makes you appreciate even our ****ty situation a little more.

And yet it's very possible that in a few days/weeks when Rutherford tells him that's the only trade he was able to swing (assuming it's still on the table) Kessel might very well change his mind vs sticking it out here for another season.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
According to a good chunk of this board, Simon isn't any good despite pretty much every single advanced stat that says otherwise... so I'd take what a fanbase says with a gain of salt.

What? Pionk has horrible, horrible, awful advanced stats and NYR’s board has some of the best posters here.

Reactions: JackFr

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
See what you aren't getting are these...

1. Schultz got hurt, took time to get back to the level he was at.
2. Hunwick was decent, got hurt, never looked good again and still has issues from those injuries.
3. You're now repeating the same **** but not getting it.

Schultz was an NHLer throughout his career.

Hunwick was not. Hunwick isn’t playing in the NHL because he wasn’t an NHL caliber D except on terrible teams.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Winnipeg is trying to win a cup no?

And part of trying to win a cup is ensuring that you'll be good for more than just 1 season. Which for a team that's not a prime FA destination, means drafting and keeping young cheap talent around. And having that extra cap space is a value in and of itself as it will give them some money to try and sign a replacement, or more likely to try and keep Myers.

I mean last year they went deep. This year with one of the deepest teams they've had, they were bounced in the first round. Just goes to show that anything can happen and banking a lot on one player might not be the smartest move they could make - especially when their core overall is young and they're going to have more than one shot at things.

Reactions: Peat and Tom Hanks

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And yet it's very possible that in a few days/weeks when Rutherford tells him that's the only trade he was able to swing (assuming it's still on the table) Kessel might very well change his mind vs sticking it out here for another season.
Oh for sure, if Kessel wants to stay and is happy with the situation then fine, but I don't think he is and I don't think the team is.

The Wild will sort their shit out because no team in their right mind thinks that roster is fine.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And part of trying to win a cup is ensuring that you'll be good for more than just 1 season. Which for a team that's not a prime FA destination, means drafting and keeping young cheap talent around. And having that extra cap space is a value in and of itself as it will give them some money to try and sign a replacement, or more likely to try and keep Myers.

I mean last year they went deep. This year with one of the deepest teams they've had, they were bounced in the first round. Just goes to show that anything can happen and banking a lot on one player might not be the smartest move they could make - especially when their core overall is young and they're going to have more than one shot at things.

Uh..

Who is this young core?

Schief is going on 27 next season.

Wheeler and Buff who are arguably their best D and forward now are 33 and 35 next season.

Losing Trouba for basically nothing of consequence is pretty terrible.

Unless you are insinuating their core is something like Morrissey, Schief, Laine and Hellebyuck. Which honestly isn’t very good. Bunch of midtier guys on championship rosters outside of Schief.

Reactions: JackFr

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Uh..

Who is this young core?

Wheeler and Buff who are arguably their best D and forward now are 33 and 35 next season.

Unless you are insinuating their core is something like Morrissey, Schief, Laine and Hellebyuck. Which honestly isn’t very good. Bunch of midtier guys on championship rosters outside of Schief.

I wouldn’t underrate Connor, or Ehlers. But I agree with your point overall. I think the Jets management is going to be too loyal to Buff, Wheeler and Little. Wheeler especially is undergoing the Kessel transformation of line driver to empty calorie compiler.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I am intrigued that Rutherford kicked tires and didn't decide to beat Pionk and the 20th. Pettersson/Schultz (if his NTC allowed, and I could see Winnipeg being a no go) and the 21st probably could've got it done. Hell maybe even Bjustad and the 21st if we took Perreault too. That trade is awful objectively for the Jets, doesn't do much for them at all.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I am intrigued that Rutherford kicked tires and didn't decide to beat Pionk and the 20th. Pettersson/Schultz (if his NTC allowed, and I could see Winnipeg being a no go) and the 21st probably could've got it done. Hell maybe even Bjustad and the 21st if we took Perreault too. That trade is awful objectively for the Jets, doesn't do much for them at all.

The problem with moving something good for Trouba is you're pretty muched forced to sign him - even if he wants 7.5m a season.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Uh..

Who is this young core?

And Laine and Connor are 21/22 and Schief and Hellebyuck are 26. They have a couple of older guys, a couple of mid age guys (30ish) and a bunch who are in their early to mid 20s. They have lots of time to recover from trading Trouba and do not need to go "all in" next season.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Uh..

Who is this young core?

Connors
Roslovic
Ehlers
Laine
Niku
Stanley

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
You wouldn't pay him that? Karlsson just got 4M more per season. High end talent doesn't come cheap.

No I wouldn't. Trouba is good... but I don't think he's that good. Personally I'd top out around 7m and even that would really be pushing things.

Reactions: Ryder71

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010

Myers sucks and will cost at least 4.5. Any replacement they can sign will not approach Trouba.

They should at least have tried to get a lesser player who could still play on the second pair RD. Right now their defence is terrible and not competitive.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And Laine and Connor are 21/22 and Schief and Hellebyuck are 26. They have a couple of older guys, a couple of mid age guys (30ish) and a bunch who are in their early to mid 20s. They have lots of time to recover from trading Trouba and do not need to go "all in" next season.

They really don’t. Connor and Hellebyuck aren’t game breakers.

They are missing a # 1 D and Trouba was trending that way.

They basically have the structure of 2015 Minnesota Wild. Once Buff and Wheeler burn out and their “core” stagnates as career 50-60 pt guys. They’ll be just like the Wild.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad