Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Stanley Cup Champions Summertime Blue's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Rust is our fastest player though, I sincerely hope there's another way around this. He's also great on the forecheck and scored some big goals when it mattered most in the playoffs. I'd look at other options first. Trade Simon, Jarry or some such player. And if that doesn't work buy him out. Unless we''re getting a stud back there's no way to replace his speed.

I agree with you. I’d like to keep Rust. I’d like to move one of ZAR, Simon, or Jarry with JJ to move him but I don’t think that’s incentive enough unless JR finds a Chiarelli. Ottawa needs to add salary and that’s why I think they will want Rust.

JR wants more flexibility because he still has plans to get involved in the arms race via free agency or trades. So I think Rust is just another means to get him more flexibility to get there. Even if he makes that deal he’s not done yet. He was embarrassed by the team this year the way they acted in the locker room and responded on the ice in the regular season and the whimper going out in the playoffs.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I agree with you. I’d like to keep Rust. I’d like to move one of ZAR, Simon, or Jarry with JJ to move him but I don’t think that’s incentive enough unless JR finds a Chiarelli. Ottawa needs to add salary and that’s why I think they will want Rust.

JR wants more flexibility because he still has plans to get involved in the arms race via free agency or trades. So I think Rust is just another means to get him more flexibility to get there. Even if he makes that deal he’s not done yet. He was embarrassed by the team this year the way they acted in the locker room and responded on the ice in the regular season and the whimper going out in the playoffs.

What about Bjug instead of Rust? We have some center flexibility in our roster that he’s disposable too imo...

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Looking at the roster right now... If JR is able to get Kessel and JJ off the roster while adding a top-6 LW and top-4 LD, I will be very satisfied. Still holding out hope that Zucker for Kessel isn't dead yet.

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Zucker-Malkin-Hornqvist
McCann-Bjugstad-Rust

^^ I would like that very much please JR.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What about Bjug instead of Rust? We have some center flexibility in our roster that he’s disposable too imo...

Not really. We currently have 3 centres signed and Blueger will be so that’ll make 4 but he’ll be on the 4th line.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
McCann and Kahun can play center...

How much time has Kahun played C in the NHL? He took 60 face offs at 36% last season.

McCann has shown he’s much better as a winger here so far. I mean if Bjugstad brings back something out of this world sure but why go into a season with more uncertainty and maybes.

Last 2 seasons JR has take a long time to “fix” stuff and some he couldn’t.

Reactions: Peat

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
How much time has Kahun played C in the NHL? He took 60 face offs at 36% last season.

McCann has shown he’s much better as a winger here so far. I mean if Bjugstad brings back something out of this world sure but why go into a season with more uncertainty and maybes.

If you want to move Bjugstad, (at least currently) you got to get a center. So yes, I agree, you should only trade him if a center is coming back.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

McCann would be fine as a 3/4 C with Teddy being the other.

Reactions: Andy99

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010

I’d be happy with that too but they like Bjugstad. If someone insisted that’s what it would take to take JJ off our hands I’m sure he’d be gone though.

Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
McCann is better as a winger than he is at C. Bjugstad is better at wing too from what I can tell, but I am curious if he can be better at C.

But Kahun is a guy I do like and I think I would shop JJ with Simon to see if a team will part with another 5th round pick and prospect they can part with. If JR can do that, oh man...shit finally got interesting in a good way, again.

Now back to the Le Mans.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017

We want better than just fine though and McCann just put in 11 goals in 32 games here. Don’t expect him to keep that pace but why change him to 3C which he hasn’t played before. If someone’s doing well at something just leave them there.

Teddy has looked good in a small sample size and he gets to develop on the 4th which is good.

Reactions: Riptide and Ryder71

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
We want better than just fine though and McCann just put in 11 goals in 32 games here. Don’t expect him to keep that pace but why change him to 3C which he hasn’t played before. If someone’s doing well at something just leave them there.

Teddy has looked good in a small sample size and he gets to develop on the 4th which is good.

He played 3C when he first came over and was a C in FLORIDA.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm fine with sticking it out with Bjugstad.

If he played an entire 82 game season with the Penguins he was on pace for 23 goals and 35 points. He looked great alongside Hornqvist. I'm fine with keeping him around for two more seasons.
We are in a good spot with Bjugstad at 3C and the fact that Blueger is a solid 4C option and a huge plus that Kahun can play C and so can McCann.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Sorry to say but Rust becomes more expendable with Kahun now.
Of course, ideally, you'd want to ship Phil out and keep Rust to start next season but Phil may make that impossible.

End of the day, i still have Rust, Jarry, the 1st's(this years and next), Schultz, Simon, JJ, ZAR, other prospects and maybe Bjugs as chips to play going into the draft with those key areas of Geno's wing and middle pairing D needing a beef up/re-tool.
JR now has a little wiggle room cap wise to potentially make such moves.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Wow, we’re really active...and I guess we’re getting Doughty back too, so the Pens will be adding $22 million in non existent cap space...we must get special cap dispensation from the league...

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Sorry to say but Rust becomes more expendable with Kahun now.
Of course, ideally, you'd want to ship Phil out and keep Rust to start next season but Phil may make that impossible.

End of the day, i still have Rust, Jarry, the 1st's(this years and next), Schultz, Simon, JJ, ZAR, other prospects and maybe Bjugs as chips to play going into the draft with those key areas of Geno's wing and middle pairing D needing a beef up/re-tool.
JR now has a little wiggle room cap wise to potentially make such moves.
I made my feelings known about Rust. Regarding our 1sts, barring some unbelieveable offer we should hold on to them or possibly try and move up. Jules Mentioned in a best case scenario of something like Zucker and 14OA for Kessel and 21OA. Maybe we could pull that off, but we certainly at minimum need to keep our 1sts or improve our positioning in the early rounds.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
If any or all of Wilson, ZAR, Simon are on this roster I might just give up watching the pens this year.

Might as well just give up hope now, because odds are very good that at least two of those guys will be on the roster. Personally that doesn't bother me all that much as both Simon and Reese had good showings and have some potential. Even better is that they're cheap.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

He certainly didn't look "fine" when we played him there for a while before moving him to the wing and putting Bjugstad in the middle.

He played 3C when he first came over and was a C in FLORIDA.

And didn't look all that great when he did - which is why he didn't stay there. And while he did play that role in Florida, he never once exceeded 30pts.

Last edited:

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I made my feelings known about Rust. Regarding our 1sts, barring some unbelieveable offer we should hold on to them or possibly try and move up. Jules Mentioned in a best case scenario of something like Zucker and 14OA for Kessel and 21OA. Maybe we could pull that off, but we certainly at minimum need to keep our 1sts or improve our positioning in the early rounds.

Well yeah, i was talking more about getting Geno's Guentzel or a Trouba.

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
McCann - Crosby - Guentzel
(Zucker) - Malkin - Kahun
Simon - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
Whatever - Blueger - Rust

Yeah, Rust can probably be moved. Would prefer to move Hornqvist because of cap hit and age, but that's not happening with the NTC.

Looking forward, we need to re-sign Murray, McCann and Kahun in a years time with corresponding raises. Plus whatever we do with Schultz (re-sign him or acquire someone else). There needs to be some cap space left over for that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad