Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Stanley Cup Champions Summertime Blue's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If you trade Kessel for futures though, chasing Trouba maybe becomes that bit more feasible. If you got Colorado's 1st and add that to Schultz, you're in the game.

Yes, I want to get our second back from FL to offersheet Vrana. Who has our third pick?

Washington can probably match any offer sheet for Vrana that tops of at a 2nd.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I posted a trade to the AVs Kessel for that later pick plus say Timmons if healthy. AV's have to add some serious AAV just to get to the floor. Pens get cap space and AV's get the RW they need who is going to be just like he brought to the Pens a PP presence and a RW who can add scoring to take pressure of the first line.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
We have a first and a third in the 2020 draft so we can offer sheet anyone from between $4.3 mil and like $ 6+ mil something or other...we could certainly offer sheet Vrana, Kapanen, Johnsson for example on a bridge deal between that amount...

Reactions: Riptide

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
I don't think Colorado will have any trouble reaching the cap floor. They have a lot of guys to re-sign, including Rantanen.

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
I posted a trade to the AVs Kessel for that later pick plus say Timmons if healthy. AV's have to add some serious AAV just to get to the floor. Pens get cap space and AV's get the RW they need who is going to be just like he brought to the Pens a PP presence and a RW who can add scoring to take pressure of the first line.
Then what to do with the cap space? If no decent winger back, that leaves no one but a bunch of tweeners to play with G.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
We have a first and a third in the 2020 draft so we can offer sheet anyone from between $4.3 mil and like $ 6+ mil something or other...we could certainly offer sheet Vrana, Kapanen, Johnsson for example on a bridge deal between that amount...

@ownal, Andy makes a good point that offer sheets are the following seasons picks. Vegas have our 2nd (for taking Fleury).

There hasn’t been an OS in over 6 years. Only 3 this decade and all were matched. It’s not common. I did learn JR has made 2 of them before. One for Fedorov but Detroit matched.

Reactions: Riptide and Andy99

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Just like we would have to retain on Maatta and get a 4th :)
I said i don't think we would get more than a 4th without salary coming back and i was right. We basically got rid of olli for a top 9 guy. Nowhere near the value people once thought.

That's been my call for over a year.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
Maybe that’s not unfair.... but at least it is cheap “vanilla”. Hence... let’s not make that out to be a problem before icing him cost us something meaningful. Moreover - Simon is one step from being a very decent middle 6’er. Maybe the smart move is trying to see if he can get there.

We've seen two playoffs in a row he can't. How much more do we need to see? Or are we just too obsessed with advanced metric graphs?

IcedCapp

Aug 7, 2009
I said i don't think we would get more than a 4th without salary coming back and i was right. We basically got rid of olli for a top 9 guy. Nowhere near the value people once thought.

I found it odd, reading that thread, how people were acting like the Penguins acquired some major asset for Ollivander. This kahuna guy could be... just a guy. He’s not established, especially at the level the Penguins will need him to be for him to be a regular on a championship team.

The real coup was dumping $3MM in cement. The Pens needed the cap space more than they needed another random forward.

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
What the Olli Maatta trade says about the Penguins' — and...

Its just words but JR said he wants to get back to a high-tempo game rather than heavy like the blues. Although he said a mix of both is what has won the cup for the past decade.

JR said his offseason objective is to restore balance to the Penguins offense.

Also Rossi says his sources tell him Trouba is not a viable target and there will be NO buyouts.

For the past month JR has really only talked about the Forwards. Certainly seems like theyre fine with the current D unless something falls into their lap.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Nowhere near the value people once thought (but haven't thought of for years), but given that an ELC is basically no salary back, I don't see how this is what you said would happen.

Reactions: Riptide

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I found it odd, reading that thread, how people were acting like the Penguins acquired some major asset for Ollivander. This kahuna guy could be... just a guy. He’s not established, especially at the level the Penguins will need him to be for him to be a regular on a championship team.

The real coup was dumping $3MM in cement. The Pens needed the cap space more than they needed another random forward.

Any thoughts on if they're done clearing space? Obviously, Phil is on the block, but who knows if that actually gets done. Hornqvist has a no-trade. Seems like a lot of dollars locked up on right wing.

I might just dreaming thinking there's a way to escape JJ, but would Rust+JJ be enough to bring back a #4 quality left shot D?

Shockmaster

Sep 11, 2012
You accuse others of cherry picking stats, while only repeating "1 goal in 33 games" over and over.

In nearly every advanced metric, everyone did better with Simon than without.

He didn't score goals, you're right. But he put his teammates in a better position to score, and even more so he kept the other team in a worse position to score.

If all we cared about it's whether a player can score goals, we should have kept Sprong.

Really, Simon is an anti-Sprong. Sprong could score goals but do nothing else well, and Simon does everything (at 5v5) well other than score goals.

Simon does everything else at 5v5 well? :laugh: Let's see - is he physical? Nope. Is he good defensively? Nope. Is he good down low? Nope, more of a perimeter player. So given all that, I would say 1 goal in 33 games is a pretty important stat, especially considering he doesn't get enough assists to make that something that could be reasonably overlooked. By the way, what's the sample size of those advanced metrics?

I think some of you just believe you're experts because you look at advanced metric graphs and that it makes you look smart for doing so. That's why you go all in at full force defending Simon despite how laughable and embarrassing it has become. Two seasons and two really bad playoffs now, and some of you won't believe what you're eyes are telling you because it takes a huge shit over advanced metrics.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->