Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Stanley Cup Champions Summertime Blue's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tender Rip

Wears long pants
Feb 12, 2007
Shanghai, China
:laugh:

Can't comment on Kahun, but with Simon you confused "good" with "vanilla."

Maybe that’s not unfair.... but at least it is cheap “vanilla”. Hence... let’s not make that out to be a problem before icing him cost us something meaningful. Moreover - Simon is one step from being a very decent middle 6’er. Maybe the smart move is trying to see if he can get there.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
It is kind of scary that with Kahun now, JR may be more willing to deal Phil for no salary back(vs needing a top 6 winger back).
The scary part comes when he has around 7.8ishM to spend in FA'y after the RFA's are locked up(quick maths).

Reactions: Andy99

BrokenStick

Feb 8, 2004
Ellwood City, PA
1 goal in 33 games is a "warped perception?" :laugh: I think the warped perception here is you (and others) thinking he's a good player because you want to pat yourself on the back for cherry-picking so-called advanced metrics.

But hey, and least he got better from being gifted a top line spot in the 2018 playoffs and really helped the team in the same spot in the most recent playoffs! :sarcasm:

You accuse others of cherry picking stats, while only repeating "1 goal in 33 games" over and over.

In nearly every advanced metric, everyone did better with Simon than without.

He didn't score goals, you're right. But he put his teammates in a better position to score, and even more so he kept the other team in a worse position to score.

If all we cared about it's whether a player can score goals, we should have kept Sprong.

Really, Simon is an anti-Sprong. Sprong could score goals but do nothing else well, and Simon does everything (at 5v5) well other than score goals.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Kingerski has some "sources" telling him PIT's intrested in Simmonds but i can't see it.

Penguins Free Agent Rumor: Pens, Wayne Simmonds Could Fit

Unless they're gonna sell off Horny at a high price, then maybe...?
Ultimately, like i said, i don't see it tho.

Please lord, no, and certainly not at close to the $4 mil per year cited...I hope this is just false but it does fit the pushback narrative...he’s a shell of his former self and too old

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins don't even have a spot for another forward, their lineup is basically filled without a forward trade. That's ignoring that they're probably only barely cap compliant at this point, if not still over the cap.

UnrealMachine

Jul 9, 2012
Pittsburgh, USA
1 goal in 33 games is a "warped perception?" :laugh: I think the warped perception here is you (and others) thinking he's a good player because you want to pat yourself on the back for cherry-picking so-called advanced metrics.

But hey, and least he got better from being gifted a top line spot in the 2018 playoffs and really helped the team in the same spot in the most recent playoffs! :sarcasm:

He finished 6th overall among forwards on the Pens in 5on5 points/60 this past season, so he must have done something right. Add to that:
- 1st among forwards in CF%.
- 1st among forwards in HDCA/60.
- 5th among forwards in GF%.

If you want to cling to your 30-game confirmation bias that's on you. All of the other relevant stats easily refute your poorly constructed argument.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

It was 31 games. He still had 8 points (21 point pace). Which is low but so where his minutes averaging 13 minutes a game. He dropped off later in the season which is not unheard for someone in their full first season. He started real well with 20 points in 40 games.

He always has good possession numbers so that’s a positive. Way better to keep it in our O zone especially with our defence.

What’s wrong with continuing to see how this plays out. When he’s on the ice the Pens our score their opposition. I agree 1 goal in 31 games isn’t great but he’s contributing. He won’t be a high goal scorer but he’ll be a net positive player who can produce points. He might not score the goals but will help the team to score them.

His has played 109 games for 42 points (32 points per 82) almost exclusively at ES and averaged 12:33. Moaning about that is strange. If he was getting paid 6.8 million and had 2 ES goals in 32 games while getting scored on every game I could see a point ;)

Lust for Life

Jun 30, 2018
I don't see why we would want to trade a guy with a $750k contract and good underlying numbers. Those are exactly the type of players we should keep as they enable us to pay other players more.

Preferably not players like Phaneuf and MacDonald.

Reactions: Riptide and JackFr

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I’d take Simmonds on a cheap deal with low term. That is about it.

You know that’s not happening with JR...he’s going to sign him to five years to keep the cap hit down just like with JJ but enough money to lure him away from someone else...then we’ll be trying to move on from him again next year when he sucks....this whole vicious cycle is worse than any addict trying to get off dope..just no, JR!

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens have a couple bad fits here. Kessel can be better but for some reason he just has a limited shelf life wherever he is. GMJR wants to move him and he generally is a bull dog on items he wants. I am OK with a McCann, Bjugstad Horny third line. But if GMJR can find a legit LW for Geno, then Horny moves up and the new kid plays RW. That is why the Zucker trade was a good change for the Pens. They get the second LW top 6 and that sets up the lines.

Reactions: ownal

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
It was 31 games. He still had 8 points (21 point pace). Which is low but so where his minutes averaging 13 minutes a game. He dropped off later in the season which is not unheard for someone in their full first season. He started real well with 20 points in 40 games.

He always has good possession numbers so that’s a positive. Way better to keep it in our O zone especially with our defence.

What’s wrong with continuing to see how this plays out. When he’s on the ice the Pens our score their opposition. I agree 1 goal in 31 games isn’t great but he’s contributing. He won’t be a high goal scorer but he’ll be a net positive player who can produce points. He might not score the goals but will help the team to score them.

His has played 109 games for 42 points (32 points per 82) almost exclusively at ES and averaged 12:33. Moaning about that is strange. If he was getting paid 6.8 million and had 2 ES goals in 32 games while getting scored on every game I could see a point ;)

Wish I knew how to post gifs.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
People who hate Simon will not be convinced by stats or data. If they cared about that they would have already realized that Simon produces at a decent clip for his ice time and is a fantastic possession player.

All they care about is that he doesn't score goals. They can watch him get pucks out of corners and win battles and make great passes for whole seasons and it doesn't matter because he doesn't make "Party Hard" play 20 times a year

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’d take Simmonds on a cheap deal with low term. That is about it.

I’d stay away. He really has dropped off. We have a good group of forwards and quite a diverse mix as well. If the Minnesota deal goes through it’ll shift the dynamic even more to a group hard to play against.

D is still currently a work in progress to make it all come together

Reactions: Andy99

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
People who hate Simon will not be convinced by stats or data. If they cared about that they would have already realized that Simon produces at a decent clip for his ice time and is a fantastic possession player.

All they care about is that he doesn't score goals. They can watch him get pucks out of corners and win battles and make great passes for whole seasons and it doesn't matter because he doesn't make "Party Hard" play 20 times a year

Simon - Bjugstad - Horny just did everything but score as a line.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The Penguins don't even have a spot for another forward, their lineup is basically filled without a forward trade. That's ignoring that they're probably only barely cap compliant at this point, if not still over the cap.

Technically they do if they want Phil outta here.
Like i said, getting a guy like Kahun may shift JR from needing a top 6 winger back in the deal to getting the cap to chase that top 6'er in FA'y or another deal.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Like i said, getting a guy like Kahun may shift JR from needing a top 6 winger back in the deal to getting the cap to chase that top 6'er in FA'y or another deal.

I don't see why it should. Kahun makes one of our current middle 6 forwards a bit expendable, he doesn't change wanting Zucker to taking one's chances on FA. I mean, you could be right, I just don't see it.

And if it does, it shouldn't be for bloody Simmonds!

You're right that there are ways it could end up with FA cash though. Lose Johnson and Rust for nothing and all of a sudden that's a lot of cash for FA... Or hell, lose Johnson for nothing, Kessel for Zucker, and that's a decent chunk...

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Just looking at teams with the most cap space.
Phil to COL or CAR for pick(s)/prospect(s) makes some sense to me and all of a sudden JR has around 7.8ishM in space(if cap is 83) and two 1st round picks.
Opens up trade possibilities OR shopping in FA'y.

ETA: FLA is another one if they miss out on Panarin.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Phil is either not being traded or being replaced with another top-6 winger. If they trade him for futures, they're going to use his cap space on a top-6 winger in free agency.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad