Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: Stanley Cup Champions Summertime Blue's...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm done now. I am giving Penguin fans a bad look with unrealistic trades.

Keep posting @ownal. Some of the proposals would be ok. There’s probably not going to be a whole lot of trades but we do have one of the most aggressive GM’s around (which is good and bad).

Remember to look from the other teams perspective too as best you can. Check CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps to see what space they have and what positions they need filled. Lot of media guys tweet info on what teams are looking for as well.

If you have time, for more insight on potential players you can use the sites below to go with however much you’ve watched them.

Line Combinations - Frozen Tools to see who they play with most of the time. Teams (daily faceoff) is more for during the season as they show the line up for the last game.

Then you have your basic and advanced stat sites like NHL Stats, History, Scores, & Records | Hockey-Reference.com and Natural Stat Trick to see how they did.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm curious about the talk of moving Rust. Why? I understand if someone is willing to overpay but people are talking like he's a salary dump or something. We shouldn't move him unless we have to.
The issue with most of this roster with the forwards is the lack of understanding where some of these players belong for their "home spot" and the coaching staff absolutely not understanding how to use any of those forwards sans gluing Jake and Sid together and allowing Sid to dictate who his winger is.

Rust is probably one of the best bottom 6 wingers in the game and people are mad because the f***ING COACHING STAFF use him on Sid's line.

I'm at a point where I hope JR just blows this f***ing team up. f*** it.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
JR needs to just say f*** it and go in and be aggressive in the trade market. Nuts on the table, cards laid out...take out menu on fire, get it done old man. Stop letting your dipshit coaching staff dictate who they want.

If the Flames are still interested in moving Brodie...

Jarry + Schultz for Brodie and their 3rd round pick.
3rd round pick + JJ for a box of used condoms and a 5th round pick.
Pens then move Maatta for a 3rd + 5th round pick from some moron, pick one.
Pens then send Horny back to Nashville because this coaching staff does not deserve such a stud, for Jarnkrok and Craig Smith.

Guentzel, Crosby, Smith
Jarnkrok, Malkin, Kessel
McCann, Bjugstad, Rust
Simon, Blueger, Johnson/A-R.

Dumoulin, Letang
Pettersson, Brodie
Riikola, Gudbranson - Allow Riikola to grow in this role with a vet.

Murray
DeSmith

Last edited:

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
The issue with most of this roster with the forwards is the lack of understanding where some of these players belong for their "home spot" and the coaching staff absolutely not understanding how to use any of those forwards sans gluing Jake and Sid together and allowing Sid to dictate who his winger is.

Rust is probably one of the best bottom 6 wingers in the game and people are mad because the ****ING COACHING STAFF use him on Sid's line.

I'm at a point where I hope JR just blows this ****ing team up. **** it.

What do we do then, move Hornqvist? Sid doesn't want to play with him, Malkin is oil and water so he's got to be the 3RW. Thats rustys spot unleas he is with Geno or Sid.

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The one and only takeaway I hope JR has after the Blues won the Cup is this:

Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Pietrangelo
Edmundson-Gunnarson/Bortuzzo

See if he can figure it out from there.

Reactions: JTG

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Pietrangelo

What, that a proper coaching staff gets shit done?

Also any defense without JJ is better, but our defense was still ass without JJ the year before, so the problem remains - This coaching staff is filled with morons with egos that can't figure shit out with evolving the system and being able to make this work and JR needs to stop sitting on his wrinkly ass hands and move Maatta out, because he's just not made for the EC type of hockey, and dump JJ to wherever the f*** he can for literally anything that doesn't bring back cap.

What do we do then, move Hornqvist? Sid doesn't want to play with him, Malkin is oil and water so he's got to be the 3RW. Thats rustys spot unleas he is with Geno or Sid.

Look again, bruv.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Pietrangelo

I overheard him at PF Chang’s after the Blues won: “we need more pushback”... don’t think he was saying anything about the defense...

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Pietrangelo

Don't get me wrong that's a good defense, but Binnington pretty much single handedly saved their asses in two games this series. I thought territoriality it was pretty one sided against the Blues. Again that's a good defense, but I don't think they're extraordinary when it comes to cup winners.

We have different personnel, different types of star players and a different manner as to how we achieve success. That doesn't mean we can't evolve and adapt, but I wouldn't necessarily try to emulate a team like the Blues. I don't think that would work for us or play to our strengths. I still think we largely need to predicate our game on skill and speed.

Last edited:
Reactions: Andy99

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I know people aren't fond of JT Miller, but I would have loved to see a Miller-Malkin-Rust line.
I overheard him at PF Chang’s after the Blues won: “we need more pushback”... don’t think he was saying anything about the defense...
I think he meant Metamucil.

Reactions: Andy99

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I'm curious about the talk of moving Rust. Why? I understand if someone is willing to overpay but people are talking like he's a salary dump or something. We shouldn't move him unless we have to.
The talk of moving Rust is surely because of Kessel staying, I think you can consider moving him if he's apart of something bigger, like trading him for a pick and using the cap space (and cap space from other likely trade suspects) to sign a better player than Rust, but he's not a guy we should be auctioning. Ironically, among a lot of the RWs, he is probably the guy you have the least amount of questions about.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The talk of moving Rust is surely because of Kessel staying, I think you can consider moving him if he's apart of something bigger, like trading him for a pick and using the cap space (and cap space from other likely trade suspects) to sign a better player than Rust, but he's not a guy we should be auctioning. Ironically, among a lot of the RWs, he is probably the guy you have the least amount of questions about.
You all know I am Rust's #1 fan...so this hurts to say, but in a logical sense...

If you were in a bind and needed to shed salary as quickly as possible, you know right off the bat that CBJ has wanted Rust for a while and if they are willing to take JJ back or take Maatta with him and we get back a solid player, I would sadly have to consider it.

Which then makes me really hate JR in addition to this horse shit of a coaching staff.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Don't get me wrong that's a good defense, but Binnington pretty much single handedly saved their asses in two games this series. I thought territoriality it was pretty one sided against the Blues. Again that's a good defense, but I don't think they're extraordinary when it comes to cup winners.

They relied heavily on Parayko (25:01) and Pietrangelo (25:45) who were awesome. JayBo also played over 23 mins a game.

The others had their ups and down but were solid for the most part but the next highest D played less than 17 minutes.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
They relied heavily on Parayko (25:01) and Pietrangelo (25:45) who were awesome. JayBo also played over 23 mins a game.

The others had their ups and down but were solid for the most part but the next highest D played less than 17 minutes.
Regardless as to which Blues defender was on the ice tonight the Bruins carried the play. If not for Binnington standing on his head this could have ended differently. Again that's a very good defense they have, but I don't think we have to model ourselves after them. We need to be better, that much is clear. But I'd rather look into improving our transition than necessarily adding size.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Regardless as to which Blues defender was on the ice tonight the Bruins carried the play. If not for Binnington standing on his head this could have ended differently. Again that's a very good defense they have, but I don't think we have to model ourselves after them. We need to be better, that much is clear. But I'd rather look into improving our transition than necessarily adding size.

Yeah it worked for them and Binnington was great. They don’t normally ride those guys like that in the regular season (maybe Pietrangelo). We don’t have a chance of getting Parayko or Pietrangelo. In terms of transition though I think you are underselling their defence. Anyway that’s OT.

We have got to find a way at a minimum to move JJ. If we can bring in a better fit than Maatta to compete for the #4 spot we should be much better. Maatta should be an easy move. Now finding the right LD to bring in.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yeah it worked for them and Binnington was great. They don’t normally ride those guys like that in the regular season (maybe Pietrangelo). We don’t have a chance of getting Parayko or Pietrangelo. In terms of transition though I think you are underselling their defence. Anyway that’s OT.

We have got to find a way at a minimum to move JJ. If we can bring in a better fit than Maatta to compete for the #4 spot we should be much better. Maatta should be an easy move. Now finding the right LD to bring in.
Don't get me wrong I think they have a good transition game. But you can find guys who are good in transition without necessarily having the size as well. If you can get both great, but I don't it's as important to have both. With what the Blues did, it kinda was.

And totally agree, getting rid of JJ would be huge!

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
JR needs to just say **** it and go in and be aggressive in the trade market. Nuts on the table, cards laid out...take out menu on fire, get it done old man. Stop letting your dip**** coaching staff dictate who they want.

If the Flames are still interested in moving Brodie...

Jarry + Schultz for Brodie and their 3rd round pick.
3rd round pick + JJ for a box of used condoms and a 5th round pick.
Pens then move Maatta for a 3rd + 5th round pick from some moron, pick one.
Pens then send Horny back to Nashville because this coaching staff does not deserve such a stud, for Jarnkrok and Craig Smith.

Guentzel, Crosby, Smith
Jarnkrok, Malkin, Kessel
McCann, Bjugstad, Rust
Simon, Blueger, Johnson/A-R.

Dumoulin, Letang
Pettersson, Brodie
Riikola, Gudbranson - Allow Riikola to grow in this role with a vet.

Murray
DeSmith

While I would love Brodie here, part of the reason they are moving him is to allocate money to the forwards since they have so many good D prospects.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Honestly. We just need a player that slots Dumo and Schultz down a peg. St. Louis had Piets and Parayko who were fantastic and Bouwmeester who could eat minutes and not f*** up.

The issue is Schultz can’t eat minutes like that and Dumo has no offensive abilities.

Once again why I said that summer the contracts were signed, they weren’t bad they just didn’t make sense.

Daley and Hainsey played # 2 minutes for us in both cup runs.

HoG’s Brodie suggestion is solid. Just dunno how we get him.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007

Bouwmeester-Parayko
Dunn-Pietrangelo

This team could really use a Parayko. I think that guy is one of the most underrated defensemen in the league.

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
Honestly. We just need a player that slots Dumo and Schultz down a peg. St. Louis had Piets and Parayko who were fantastic and Bouwmeester who could eat minutes and not **** up.

The issue is Schultz can’t eat minutes like that and Dumo has no offensive abilities.

Once again why I said that summer the contracts were signed, they weren’t bad they just didn’t make sense.

Dumo and Schultz are completely fine where they are. Petterson with Schultz would be a fine middle pair. Brian Dumoulin as a middle pairing defenseman would be a luxury on almost any team in the NHL.

I feel as though with Dumoulin you picture a guy who just came back from an injury that wasn't healed and he got smoked because of it. In our Cup runs he was our best defenseman and it wasn't even close.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

I think it's mostly that we know a hard rain's gonna fall and there's a very limited number of places it can do so. If we need salary relief because we had to take back money moving Johnson, or if we need to attach an established good player to do it, or if we're just looking for players other teams like that we can live without, Rust's name fits the bill in a way very few other players on this team do.

And while, honestly, I thought he had a good season, he was definitely one of the guys not really bringing it at times.

Honestly. We just need a player that slots Dumo and Schultz down a peg. St. Louis had Piets and Parayko who were fantastic and Bouwmeester who could eat minutes and not **** up.

I'd love Brodie. Not sure I'd go with "need" here but if you could somehow transmutate the money in our defence to contain such a player, that'd be fantastic.

Yeah I will never buy into the "the boys are tired / out of gas".

They are professional athletes. Top notch professional athletes.

A week of rest and they are back it 100% sans nagging injuries. I been in similar situations in absolute abominable ****holes. Eat a bit and get a good couple nights of sleep, you're body recoups and you can do it all over again.

An entire offseason is MORE than enough. I will never buy into that excuse. Ever.

I've heard too many stories from the players actually going through those huge grinding collision sport seasons to agree with you. The human body isn't really equipped to deal with a prolonged beating like that. It adds up. The mental fatigue adds up as well.

Yep, that is true.

Frolik's a 30 year old with one year left on his deal making 4.3 mil per scoring at a 36 point pace over the last 2 years. That's worth a guy picked 22nd overall the year before?

Frolik's trade value as a rental is probably worth about a late 1st on its own/early Kapanen level prospect, yes.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
He's part of the problem for me. He's a guy that's going chip, chase and have logo buster shots... Every time. There's a place for Rust on this team but not the top 6 and he's forced into that role.

The Pens need give and go players around Malkin and Crosby but the thing is he fits Sullivan's system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->