Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: SPEED, YOUTH, AND POSITIVITY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slaaapshuter

May 10, 2015
Ok JR, now let's talk about that blueline of yours. You know, the ONE THING that really mattered this off-season above and ahead of anything else as the first priority.

Shipping out Määttä was good, but that's far from enough. Get to work.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
OK so here's the forward group I'm assembling if I'm Sullivan:

Guentzel - Crosby - Simon
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Kahun

audioslaved

Jun 3, 2007
OK so here's the forward group I'm assembling if I'm Sullivan:

Guentzel - Crosby - Simon
Galchenyuk - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Hornqvist
ZAR - Blueger - Kahun
The more I think about it the more I get the feeling that Kahun was brought in to play with Crosby. He seems like a player that could keep up with Crosby and Guentzel while reading the play good enough. I like your lines but would like to see Kahun on the top line to start the season. I also wouldn't mind a more physical right winger on the fourth line.

OnMyOwn

Worlds Apart
Sep 7, 2005
Also, Perry was interested in us, not the other way around and Simmonds interest was “lukewarm”

We ultimately have no clue who JR is looking at and we have room to add, but will need to ship someone out eventually.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Pens are in a retooling mode to get younger, faster and harder to play against. Phil gone for numerous reasons and the new guy is a UFA next year. Pens want the financial flexibility to sign Murray, maybe Schultz and a RW. Plus you have McCann as well. I think a year with the Fla boys, the winger from Chicago and chucky are going to infuse size, speed and scoring on all three lines. Fourth line of Blueger, Reese and ? is cheap and can be OK. I am hoping Angelo can fill that spot. Pens have the making of a better team this year so that is a good thing.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
Holy crap I didn't even realize Galchenyuk is a UFA next year. Jesus christ.

NMK11

Apr 6, 2013
So now that Kessel's gone, who's on the left wall on PP1? The only right hand shots we have now are Horny, Bjug, and Rust, but are any of them shooters in that role? Jake with Horny at the net? Letang with Schultz at the point?

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
In principle getting younger and hungier on forward is all well and good but defence was our problem this season, not our forward group. We need a top 4 LD and we need Johnson off the team. Acquiring all the top 9 forwards in the league won't solve that problem.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
Why do we need Tanev? We have an abundance of bottom 6 players already. He has never produced any numbers to speak of on any level. So nothing points to some untapped potential there either.

What we really need is a right hand shot who produces points. Maybe buy low.on Pulju from the Oilers or sign someone. But we really need to replace some offence we lost in Phil. Also, we NEED a righty for a competent PP. Forcing ppl in spots they dont usually play (Schultz/Letang in Phils spot) or playing off-side like Guentzel or Galchenyuk in Phil's spot is just awkward and not optimal.

Reactions: Burn

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
Explain. Because cap space? Because you think we'll resign him?

If he doesn't do that well he will be a low cost player.

If he does well then that's good for us and we have space to sign him. Schultz will be gone too.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
@KIRK - the PMD thing was from Yohe's recent "This is Rutherford's plans" thing in the Athletic iirc. I repeat that it didn't say Rutherford wanted one.

In principle getting younger and hungier on forward is all well and good but defence was our problem this season, not our forward group. We need a top 4 LD and we need Johnson off the team. Acquiring all the top 9 forwards in the league won't solve that problem.

We had more than one problem. That forward group missed a lot of prime chances and didn't really do their defensive duties right. Not that I'm sure the moves fix that, but it's not like fixing the D fixes everything.

If he doesn't do that well he will be a low cost player.

If he does well then that's good for us and we have space to sign him. Schultz will be gone too.

The last bit might be a bit too optimistic. We have a lot of RFAs to re-up next season, and letting Schultz walk without reassigning some of that cap back to D would be risky. There's no guarantee that if he does well, we can bring him back.

That said - next season's off-season makes Galchenyuk's expiring contract attractive in and of itself. We get some badly needed flexibility and we're also not wedded to him if things go south. The worst case scenario is he's everything we hope for but we can't bring him back... which isn't all that bad a scenario imo, as that means a good season.

Reactions: KIRK and Jag68Sid87

Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

Aug 4, 2003
This space.
The Pens saved, what, $1.9 million in cap? Wouldn't they still be very close to the ceiling after signing their RFA's evening with those savings? I'm not too worried about free agency unless they can somehow unload JJ which seems unlikely at this point.

cygnus47

Sep 14, 2013
At least we'll have some interesting new players to watch this year.

We could do a lot by buying out JJ, trading Horny/Gudbranson and signing Gardiner.

Guentzel - Crosby - Simon/Kahun
McCann/Galchenyuk - Malkin - Rust
Galchenyuk/McCann - Bjugstad - Simon/Kahun
ZAR - Blueger - trade/ufa

Dumo - Letang
Gardiner - Schultz (weeeeeeeeeee)
Pettersson - Gudbranson/trade

We could definitely play a speed game with that.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
The Pens saved, what, $1.9 million in cap? Wouldn't they still be very close to the ceiling after signing their RFA's evening with those savings? I'm not too worried about free agency unless they can somehow unload JJ which seems unlikely at this point.
Hard to know for sure until everybody gets signed but best guess is we should have about 500k to 1 mill in free cap space after we fill out the roster (sign RFA, add 13th forward).

You do probably need that cap space just to get through the season with callups etc.

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Ok JR, now let's talk about that blueline of yours. You know, the ONE THING that really mattered this off-season above and ahead of anything else as the first priority.

Shipping out Määttä was good, but that's far from enough. Get to work.

So, in your mind adding a 20-year-old mobile defenseman with projectable size, offensive ability who moves the puck and instantly becomes our top D prospect is not getting to work?

It has been a good off-season, so far. We have added Kahun, Galchenyuk and Poulin up front, Joseph on the blueline and Vellucci in the coaching ranks. We have shed cap space, picked up some very intriguing players via the draft aside from Poulin (Legare and Puustinen, in particular) and have only given up a 4th ('21) and a 7th ('20) round pick along with the two veteran players that (whether we like it or not) had to go.

So far, so good. Now, the hard part. I admit it. We have one goaltender to deal, potentially a RW (my preference is to move Hornqvist because I still don't see where he fits, otherwise Rust is moveable) and of course Johnson. I think Schultz could also be in play if the right deal comes along (if someone would take Johnson with Schultz, for example). We need to bring in one more winger to off-set the Kessel effect on offense. Preferably a right shot who can play on the PP. We only have one vital RFA to re-sign in Pettersson. Aston-Reese and Blueger could be throw-ins in any other potential deal we could make.

We could have a team that (aside from a potential UFA signing) has the core of Crosby, Malkin and Letang all at the 32-33 age range, and then everyone else at 28 or under. Works for me.

Let's see what happens when phase II begins tomorrow.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
ZAR would wind up 13F.

Or shot to the moon...

So, in your mind adding a 20-year-old mobile defenseman with projectable size, offensive ability who moves the puck and instantly becomes our top D prospect is not getting to work?

It has been a good off-season, so far. We have added Kahun, Galchenyuk and Poulin up front, Joseph on the blueline and Vellucci in the coaching ranks. We have shed cap space, picked up some very intriguing players via the draft aside from Poulin (Legare and Puustinen, in particular) and have only given up a 4th ('21) and a 7th ('20) round pick along with the two veteran players that (whether we like it or not) had to go.

So far, so good. Now, the hard part. I admit it. We have one goaltender to deal, potentially a RW (my preference is to move Hornqvist because I still don't see where he fits, otherwise Rust is moveable) and of course Johnson. I think Schultz could also be in play if the right deal comes along (if someone would take Johnson with Schultz, for example). We need to bring in one more winger to off-set the Kessel effect on offense. Preferably a right shot who can play on the PP. We only have one vital RFA to re-sign in Pettersson. Aston-Reese and Blueger could be throw-ins in any other potential deal we could make.

We could have a team that (aside from a potential UFA signing) has the core of Crosby, Malkin and Letang all at the 32-33 age range, and then everyone else at 28 or under. Works for me.

Let's see what happens when phase II begins tomorrow.

JR has done a good job of infusing a lot of youth and rebuilding the prospect pool all within a calendar year.

This is a good start of retooling on the fly and he’s done it quickly. More work to be done, but I’m pretty happy about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad