Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: SPEED, YOUTH, AND POSITIVITY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

888 98 twins

Got you back not your wallet
Feb 12, 2008
Burgh
Huh?

Hopefully we trade JJ period, because Malkin is screwed again if we don't.
Yeah, that post was made with the assumption that JJ is gone at some point this summer. I just would like for it to be after all the big money has been spent by other teams in UFA.

Reactions: Giskard and KIRK

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Totally agree on Ferland. Lee, idk. Could see him still being effective for the next few years.

Effective, sure. Value of the effectiveness will not be there. What makes Lee so attractive as of now is the fact that he makes (made) $3.75mil. You're not getting him for that. You're getting him for $6mil+. Is that the same "value"? No absolutely not. It's why the Okposo, Ladd, Clarkson, Clutterbuck, etc contracts were instantly "yeesh".

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
How much does Lee want? Any number revealed?
Unless we’re moving both JJ and Gud, it’s hard to see how we could afford him AND the RFAs.

And even still, id want us to stay from Lee. Mid rate UFAs, sure, if we can clear that cap, and it meant we could afford to move a forward for D help. But otherwise, without a lot of background moves, we’re still out on the Tier 1 UFAs

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
To be honest, I don't think JR is going to do something stupid on July 1st. All of his moves since November have all had the same focus: getting younger and/or faster. I think he only signs a speedy and younger UFA if he signs anyone, someone like Tanev.

I agree that JR isn't going to do anything stupid on July 1st, but that's mostly because he basically still can't. According to capfriendly, if the Pens send Trotman to the AHL, they'll have ~5.7M in cap space, but they still need to re-sign Petterson, Aston-Reese and Blueger. Those three are likely to take around 4.5M to re-sign combined (2.5M for Petterson, around 2.0M combined between ZAR and Blueger). That leaves the Pens with around 1.2M or less to sign any free agents.

To do anything truly stupid on July 1st would require another trade moving cap space out. Which, granted, could still happen...

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Now that this trade is complete, I just want to give a shout out to JR and the FO for the reshaping of the roster (thus far). We still have one Jack Johnson to jettison but I believe it happens.

That said, a ton of young kids have been brought at both the NHL and AHL level. Look at Capfriendly and look at the number of ELCs we have in WBS. I honestly can't remember the last time we had that many ELCs. Are they high end talents, maybe not. But I believe there's a couple NHL players in there somewhere in the mold of Simon, ZAR, or hopefully Rust. Grabbing Palve and Larmi for free is nice as well. Resigning Riikola and trading Sprong for Pettersson has been big as well.

JR has done what he set out to do by getting younger and faster. Are we where we need to be yet? Likely not. Still need a couple tweaks and we need these guys we've brought in to pan out. That said, I think we are in the better position than where we were the start of 18 or 19.

I'm just starting to feel good again about the roster.

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Now that this trade is complete, I just want to give a shout out to JR and the FO for the reshaping of the roster (thus far). We still have one Jack Johnson to jettison but I believe it happens.

That said, a ton of young kids have been brought at both the NHL and AHL level. Look at Capfriendly and look at the number of ELCs we have in WBS. I honestly can't remember the last time we had that many ELCs. Are they high end talents, maybe not. But I believe there's a couple NHL players in there somewhere in the mold of Simon, ZAR, or hopefully Rust. Grabbing Palve and Larmi for free is nice as well. Resigning Riikola and trading Sprong for Pettersson has been big as well.

JR has done what he set out to do by getting younger and faster. Are we where we need to be yet? Likely not. Still need a couple tweaks and we need these guys we've brought in to pan out. That said, I think we are in the better position than where we were the start of 18 or 19.

Lots of young blood. Hungry players.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

I don’t see the D problems being solved this off season.

Next off season sure, but we will be in cap hell. That is why it was absolutely crucial for us to move Kessel now.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
One more top 6 forward and JJ gone and adding a cheap UFA D would be perfect. Honestly after keeping our first this year and getting POJ and a bunch of young players, if I was Rutherford I wouldn't hesitate using the 2020 or 2021 first (especially if that's what it takes to subtract JJ.) Definitely wouldn't trade both. Rutherford really has gotten a lot younger this summer as a team as well. Hope it shows on the ice.

iFishyHD

Dec 27, 2010
Pittsburgh
I don’t see the D problems being solved this off season.

Next off season sure, but we will be in cap hell. That is why it was absolutely crucial for us to move Kessel now.
10.4M off the books between Galchenyuk and Schultz, and Gudbranson will be easy to move on a one year deal for a pick (even if you have to retain 1M or so.) Kahun and Simon will probably bridge for around 2M, McCann probably around 3.5. Murray gets around 6-7M? Tough to project now, but I think we'll be alright. Never know who will get packaged for a deadline deal now, feels like we actually have youth for once.

Last edited:

The Greatest 101

Dec 10, 2013
Manchuria
If Murray wants 6~7, he certainly needs to prove he’s worth it in the upcoming season.

We get younger by downgrading skill level. Hope it works.

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
So who else does JR need to unload so he can make a real run at Duchene? We all know the dude never gives up on getting who he wants.

Probably going to offer $11million and dump Letang to accomplish it. :p

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Cap wise the trade puts us into a more secure spot, it allows us to not be forced to give somebody away just for the cap space.

Also potentially gives us the option to give longer term to Pettersson if we want to try and tie him down to a 3-4 year deal (depending on what that would cost).

Or gives us the option of looking for a veteran depth C to have as the 13th forward.

Still some things outstanding we would like to get done (Move JJ, figure out the Jarry/DeSmith situation) but it takes the pressure off to get something done right away.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
If the Pens want to maximize Galchenyuk, PH should be coming off the 1st unit. His shot's too good not to utilize with the wealth of playmaking talent available to him for the first time in his career.

I'd try Jake at net front with Sid down low. Have Schultz or Letang be a shot threat from the top to left circle. And have 71 and Gally rotate firing bombs.

I think Sullivan might be so thrilled someone on our PP is able and willing to fire one timers, he might give him an extended look there.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Pens are pretty flush with 2nd/3rd line wingers. I'd be surprised if JR didn't try and include one of them and unload JJ tomorrow. Opens up a spot for Tanev if that rumor is to be believed. And gives us a different look in our bottom six.

davemess

Apr 9, 2003
Scotland
Guessing if the season started tomorrow the lines would be something like this?

Jake - Sid - Kahun/Simon
Galch - Geno - Rust
McCann - Bjug - Hornqvist
ZAR - Bleuger - Kahun/Simon

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Rutherford said he wanted 3 trades and preferred them to be before July 1st. Tomorrow should be fun too.

I'm not dead yet....

giphy.gif

Reactions: Randy Butternubs

audioslaved

Jun 3, 2007
Is there talk about the Penguins being interested in Tanev? The forward? I would really like the Penguins to add another right shooting forward. Tanev is not. Go after Hartman! Probably too expensive though.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Guessing if the season started tomorrow the lines would be something like this?

Jake - Sid - Kahun/Simon
Galch - Geno - Rust
McCann - Bjug - Hornqvist
ZAR - Bleuger - Kahun/Simon

Probably the best option. Could even be really good with a further fixing of the D.

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
Cap wise the trade puts us into a more secure spot, it allows us to not be forced to give somebody away just for the cap space.

Also potentially gives us the option to give longer term to Pettersson if we want to try and tie him down to a 3-4 year deal (depending on what that would cost).

Or gives us the option of looking for a veteran depth C to have as the 13th forward.

Still some things outstanding we would like to get done (Move JJ, figure out the Jarry/DeSmith situation) but it takes the pressure off to get something done right away.

I'd definitely tie Pettersson down for 3 years. If we did 4 years would he still be an RFA at the end?

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex
We don't have a F or D spot to sign anyone unless we make more trades. I don't see that happening and reckon we'll just sign a depth guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad