Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building: SPEED, YOUTH, AND POSITIVITY!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
Re-signing Pettersson (2 years at $1.5 million), Blueger ($800k) and Johnson ($750k) gives the Penguins $2.75 million in cap space. If you want to believe the talk that they're going after Brandon Tanev, they'd have that much money to give him and they'd end up with this:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-Simon
Johnson

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola-Ruhwedel

I really like that forward group, especially if Galchenyuk gets back to 30 goal form.
But it's got JJ with the ghost of Justin Schultz on the 2nd pairing, so we'd better hope like Hell that's not the team that takes the ice in October. :laugh:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Re-signing Pettersson (2 years at $1.5 million), Blueger ($800k) and Johnson ($750k) gives the Penguins $2.75 million in cap space. If you want to believe the talk that they're going after Brandon Tanev, they'd have that much money to give him and they'd end up with this:

Guentzel-Crosby-Kahun
Galchenyuk-Malkin-Rust
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
Tanev-Blueger-Simon
Johnson

Dumoulin-Letang
Johnson-Schultz
Pettersson-Gudbranson
Riikola-Ruhwedel

I really like that forward group, especially if Galchenyuk gets back to 30 goal form.

Why do you think Pettersson will get that low of an AAV. I’m thinking 2.5 (range 2.2 - 2.8).

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Guentzel is better than Kessel was in 15-16.

Guentzel never drove his own line and never has hit his level of play doing so.

Guentzel is good as long as he's with Sid. The PP will help too.

But in the end, this team is a complete unknown outside of those two.

Not one of these lines from 2 to 4 is a given to do anything. It's a crap shoot, and you're only guaranteed 1 year of Galchenyuk.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The Penguins got good returns for both Kessel and Maatta, if you're also expecting a Johnson trade on top of that you're going to be disappointed :laugh:
Jack Johnson cannot be in the top 4 on our blueline.

If he is, for a full season, we'll miss the playoffs. I'm sayin' it right now. :laugh: Particularly if he's paired with Schultz, who seems incapable of functioning unless he's paired with a significant LD.

Reactions: Turin and Casanova

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida

Seems like he's not afraid to get to the dirty areas - or hustle. Not sure what some of the comments were alluding to in the trade thread.

(I'll admit I don't know much about the guy other than the name and occasional times we've played against him)

Reactions: Liquid Gel

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Guentzel never drove his own line and never has hit his level of play doing so.

Guentzel is good as long as he's with Sid. The PP will help too.

But in the end, this team is a complete unknown outside of those two.

Not one of these lines from 2 to 4 is a given to do anything. It's a crap shoot, and you're only guaranteed 1 year of Galchenyuk.
Think it will be good for Malkin to have 2 young, fast wingers in Galchenyuk and Kahun. He will be the clear shooter and he'll have to haul ass to keep up. The slacking days with Phil are over.

Looking forward to seeing Line 2.

Also, is having an "unknown" so terrible? Our "known" line-up just got swept by the Islanders. Hard to get worse.

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
How can we upgrade on Bjugstad/Horny?

Bjugstad/JJ for a cap dump?
Horny for Jarnkrok
Sign Donsko
Sign Dzingle

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That's weird that the $1.9 million in cap savings the Penguins got by trading Kessel means the Penguins may make a move on July 1st. That doesn't seem like that much, so maybe they sign someone for like $2 million?

Brandon Tanev has been thrown out, I like the idea with regards to adding speed but meh overall.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
How can we upgrade on Bjugstad/Horny

Bjugstad for a pick
Horny for Jarnkrok
Sign Donsko
Sign Dzingle
As much as I'd like to get ahead of the problem with Hornqvist's impending issues with age/injury, he has a full NTC for two more years.

We also don't have nearly the issue at forward that we have on defense. JJ is wholly incapable of playing NHL hockey. Schultz needs a LD partner way better than any we can give him in order to function.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's weird that the $1.9 million in cap savings the Penguins got by trading Kessel means the Penguins may make a move on July 1st. That doesn't seem like that much, so maybe they sign someone for like $2 million?

Brandon Tanev has been thrown out, I like the idea with regards to adding speed but meh overall.

I haven't done the maths but honestly I figured we'd need that money just to be cap compliant. Maybe Pettersson's getting a short cheap bridge, that changes the maths some.

Why has this board turned on Bjugstad?

This implies the board was ever on his side, which for a large minority was never true.

I just wish something would happen so I don’t have to keep reading about Bonino,Staal and Hainsey etc this weekend...it’s so disappointing...come on JR

Ask and ye shall receive!

Reactions: Andy99

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Two thoughts about today's deal:

1. I wouldn't be stunned IF JR goes shopping on Monday and is willing to flip Galchenyuk IF he finds his man. He freed up 1.9M in cap space today and could free up another 4.9M if need be. Not saying he WILL do it, but if he can find a better winger for Malkin on Monday, it wouldn't surprise me to see Galchenyuk moved for futures.

2. He's added a primo defensive prospect in POJ. Not saying he'll move someone, but I think one reason he was reticent to move Addison before is because he was the only guy he had of that caliber. Look at adding POJ and what he added in the draft . . . JR has replenished the trade chip cookie jar.

EDIT: And whatever he does has to include moving Johnson. That's a big part of the game right there.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad