Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Is Hunwick going to Buf in the Pouliot deal? also Pouliot at 50% so under 600K, but less that that because prorated.

I think Hunwick is probably going to Ottawa if he gets traded. You can say they want to save money, but Ottawa's on LD is downright horrendous. But then again, it doesn't save them any money to make that trade.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Kane has never played a playoff game and is in a contract year. I think there’s a good chance his game is conducive to playoff hockey as games well.
But Kane isn't a center, and Brassard is signed for yet another season.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
But Kane isn't a center, and Brassard is signed for yet another season.

Kane also isn’t costing you a 1st, Sprong+.

He’ll get a 1st and a couple ok prospects at best like every top rental.

Buffalo has to move him for something. Ottawa can keep Brassard.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Brassard is pretty clearly the best player I've heard mentioned as available, especially considering he's signed next year too. But regardless of contract, I think he's just the best hockey player out of any of the names I've heard.

I'll pay the extra cost for the better player, in the more important position, who isn't a rental. I think Kane would help us, but I think Brassard would take us from good team to probably the favorite again.

Obviously though, there is a point where the cost difference is too much. But it would be a damn high price from OTT.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shady Machine

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
As far as I can tell, Pouliot and Brassard in with Sheary and Hunwick out works with the cap. I'd personally rather go after Grabner than Pouliot, tho.

100%

Brassard+Grabner would make us the clear cut favorite. We'd be quite dangerous adding those two.

Jake-Sid-Simon
Hags-Geno-Horny
Grabs-Brassard-Kessel
Rust-Sheahan-ZAR/Rowney/Reaves/Sprong

Deadly.

I'll be really irritated if what we come out with is Wingels and Letestu. Why, just why would we spend anything on those guys...

Would remind me of the Goc+Stempniak additions in 2014. Absolutely impactless.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017

If OTT is trying to cut salary, and all indications are suggesting they are, they'd likely want to move him sooner than later. Now the cost might be fairly steep, but we can't afford to not at least make a push for the guy. I'm ok with going big here, and apparently JR is also.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Brassard is pretty clearly the best player I've heard mentioned as available, especially considering he's signed next year too. But regardless of contract, I think he's just the best hockey player out of any of the names I've heard.

I'll pay the extra cost for the better player, in the more important position, who isn't a rental. I think Kane would help us, but I think Brassard would take us from good team to probably the favorite again.

Something to note with Brassard is that he’s historically a healthier player than Kane and he’s played in the playoffs before. If you’re looking at who could be more reliable on the ice.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
100%

Brassard+Grabner would make us the clear cut favorite. We'd be quite dangerous adding those two.

Jake-Sid-Simon
Hags-Geno-Horny
Grabs-Brassard-Kessel
Rust-Sheahan-ZAR/Rowney/Reaves/Sprong

Deadly.
I'd swap Grabs to L4 there. Dude's a 1 man offense, in both good and bad ways. He doesn't need much help beyond throwing pucks up ice to score, but he also does close to nothing to help his linemates score.

Reactions: Riptide

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Something to note with Brassard is that he’s historically a healthier player than Kane and he’s played in the playoffs before. If you’re looking at who could be more reliable on the ice.
pretty much the only advantage for Kane would be cost. And I'm one of the people here who actually likes the idea of adding Kane.

Bruru71

Jun 25, 2014
Yohe on MM show just said he thinks price for Brassard is Sprong, 1st, and another piece off of roster. Doesn't see Pens paying that.

Reactions: Ugene Malkin

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
pretty much the only advantage for Kane would be cost. And I'm one of the people here who actually likes the idea of adding Kane.

I’ll give him speed, intimidation on the forecheck and goal scoring. I want to say he can PK, too. Even if they were comparable and we ignored position, one player is less of a risk.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
I kind of think right now JR goes bargin hunting late on trade day... there are deals out there, but a ton of contenders have redundant needs and some of the second toer guys will be available after the bigs are dealt might come down in price if there are more available than buyers looking later on deadline day

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yohe on MM show just said he thinks price for Brassard is Sprong, 1st, and another piece off of roster. Doesn't see Pens paying that.

No team is going to pay that, let's be real here. The best that the Senators can hope for if they trade Brassard is a cap dump, a good prospect and a 1st.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I’ll give him speed, intimidation on the forecheck and goal scoring. I want to say he can PK, too. Even if they were comparable and we ignored position, one player is less of a risk.
I was counting "on ice ability" as one thing kindof, but yeah Kane does do some things on the ice better for sure.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I imagine avoiding a cap dump would be important to them unless that player can be flipped. Hopefully Melnyk meddles and JR can shuffle in.

Here's the big thing I don't understand, why are people assuming that Ottawa would say no to taking back Sheary in a trade? Do people really think they wouldn't be able to just dump him for draft picks? Even with a bad season and questions about his ability away from Crosby, he has won 2 cups as a top-6 winger. I have a really tough time imagining that they would say no to taking Sheary, Gustavsson and a 1st for Brassard, it just doesn't seem logical to me that they'd say no to that. Even if they want to trade Sheary right after, they'd be able to do that really easily.

Here's the best way I'll put if: if Richard Panik can bring back Anthony Duclair in a 1 for 1 deal, then Sheary can be traded for a 2nd round pick. Panik is another guy that was having a bad season and had big questions about his ability away from star players (he was viewed as a product of Toews I think), and he brought back a 22 year old winger with pretty decent NHL production and decent upside.

Idk, I'm just thinking of a lot of ideas like Panik for Duclair that Ottawa could do with Sheary. Just a couple of examples:

-Sheary to Florida for McCann
-Sheary to Edmonton for Caggiula
-Sheary to Vancouver for Granlund
-Sheary to Buffalo for Girgensons

I really don't see why they couldn't do something like this. If all they care about is money and don't give a **** about the return, why would any of these deals be a problem?

Last edited:
Reactions: Ogrezilla

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

Why i think there may be a potential deal if they continue talking there but it's for Pageau for like 2nd(potentially 1st)+Gus...
Question is, does JR pay that?
Not a given of course but i could see talks going that route.

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA
Someone is going to have to come up with a damn good argument for why Wingels is an upgrade worth trading assets for when we have a guy like Sprong in WBS.
Sorry, I don’t have time to read the whole thread but when did Wingels name pop up?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Why are they more desperate? Pens could 3peat, hell even 4peat. JR is just as desperate as other teams for a center. Maybe not the likes of Tavares type, but Brassard type. Pens have a 4-5 year window so we have to be desperate for our chance to win as many in that time frame. Who knows? maybe we will find another Letang or Jake in those later rounds.

Because they need a #2C. We will still be in great shape for a repeat if all we do is get a quality 3C. But there are teams out there that legitimately need a top 6 center. Those teams will be more desperate and willing to offer up more then us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad