Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Kane, Cullen, Pouliot, Brassard, JGP, Letestu.

I really hope we don’t spend major assets on Kane.

I wonder if Bottlecap would do Sheary + something small for Kane with retention. Sheary is young enough that he fits the Buffalo core and replaces some of the scoring they'd lose.

Reactions: StaalForOne

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I wonder if Bottlecap would do Sheary + something small for Kane with retention. Sheary is young enough that he fits the Buffalo core and replaces some of the scoring they'd lose.

Not going to happen. Kane is at least a 1st and a roster player and honestly if we are running Sheahan as our 3C it isn’t worth it.

Knowing JR we’ll get a Test Tube and Pouliot and Malkin will will us to a cup.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Wow, I see a seismic difference between the first scenario and the second. The second one hands down.

A top 6 winger and a high end 4C. Or a middle six center and a middle six winger.

I’d prefer the latter as well but in terms of assets, that’s probably all we can afford.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh

I think we've had enough pou on the team this year....Cullen and testtube only if we can't do anything better......that leaves brassard, kane and jgp in that order. imo ......and I wouldn't over pay for the first 2

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
A top 6 winger and a high end 4C. Or a middle six center and a middle six winger.

I’d prefer the latter as well but in terms of assets, that’s probably all we can afford.
Brassard is by the far the best possible player. No ones even close on that list IMO.

Reactions: Andy99

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Brassard is by the far the best possible player. No ones even close on that list IMO.

Because we need a center more than anything he’s the best fit.

I wouldn’t call him a better hockey player than Kane. Certainly not a better ES goal scorer which is pretty damn important.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
It is interesting that Rutherford is saying so many players are available now, when it sounds like they weren't available earlier in the year. Are teams finally committing to selling now? That's what Rutherford seemed to be implying, when he said he was talking to a lot of teams about a lot of players.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Because we need a center more than anything he’s the best fit.

I wouldn’t call him a better hockey player than Kane. Certainly not a better ES goal scorer which is pretty damn important.
You need to look at Brassard in the context of what he's done in the playoffs though. He gets even better in the post season and plays with a bit of an edge. Also, We need a center and Kane is a wing. Again for what we need there's no one close. It's a precipitous drop from Brassard to everyone else.

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range

Brassard and Pouliot would be fantastic. It is very easy to fit in Pouliot under the cap, especially with retention.

I too don’t want to spend big on a winger.

I have a feeling that if we needed to gain cap space that Botterill would take Sheary and Hunwick from us.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
You need to look at Brassard in the context of what he's done in the playoffs though. He gets even better in the post season and plays with a bit of an edge. Also, We need a center and Kane is a wing. Again for what we need there's no one close. It's a precipitous drop from Brassard to everyone else.

Kane has never played a playoff game and is in a contract year. I think there’s a good chance his game is conducive to playoff hockey as games well.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Someone is going to have to come up with a damn good argument for why Wingels is an upgrade worth trading assets for when we have a guy like Sprong in WBS.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
As far as I can tell, Pouliot and Brassard in with Sheary and Hunwick out works with the cap. I'd personally rather go after Grabner than Pouliot, tho.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Someone is going to have to come up with a damn good argument for why Wingels is an upgrade with trading assets for when we have a guy like Sprong in WBS.

I'll be really irritated if what we come out with is Wingels and Letestu. Why, just why would we spend anything on those guys...

Freeptop

Jun 17, 2009
Pittsburgh, PA
It is interesting that Rutherford is saying so many players are available now, when it sounds like they weren't available earlier in the year. Are teams finally committing to selling now? That's what Rutherford seemed to be implying, when he said he was talking to a lot of teams about a lot of players.

I think you're reading too much into a line specifically designed to give nothing away. JR can "talk to lots of teams about lots of players", but that doesn't mean those teams are interested in trading the players JR is interested in. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's used that same line through the entire season as we've waited for him to acquire another center...

Reactions: Shady Machine

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
I think you're reading too much into a line specifically designed to give nothing away. JR can "talk to lots of teams about lots of players", but that doesn't mean those teams are interested in trading the players JR is interested in. In fact, I'm pretty sure he's used that same line through the entire season as we've waited for him to acquire another center...
it could be he just confused what yr. it is.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad