Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Monday, February 26

Status
Not open for further replies.

Killswitch7187

Winter is here
Jun 29, 2009
State College, PA
Well, thats dumb. He should sit vs any team.

I might be in the minority but I actually don't mind Reaves in the lineup, especially if Kuhnhackl/Rowney aren't on the same line. If it's XXX-Sheahan-Reaves, that line has some potential. Reaves has been very good on the forecheck lately IMO. And I think it's been pretty well documented of Sheahan's chemistry with him.

Simon-Sheahan-Reaves could be a sneaky good L4 if the 3C comes to avail.

With that said, if it's Rowney/Kuhnhackl with Reaves at any point, yeah, you might as well punt the entire Roll-4 lines model for the night.

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
I have zero interest in Anisimov. Dude is a product of Kane and still hasn't put up much points at EV strenght. And woof his contract is bad.
he's fallen off a cliff that he's not coming back from. dude is bad.
You are still only looking at this season, when almost that entire Hawks team is falling short of their abilities. Look at his career and tell me he isn’t worth a 3C @4.5m role.
he sucked last year too

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Well, thats dumb. He should sit vs any team.

I’m not sure what they’d expect him to do. I assume fight someone because his other trick is glaring from the bench,

Reaves last fight was the 1st period against Columbus on 21/12/17. Malkin got in a fight during the 2nd period. Since that time we’ve seen dirty shit and rough games. Oleksiak got in a fight 2/1/18 against the Flyers and 14/1/18 against the Rangers standing up for Reaves in a comedic twist. Cole got in fights 3/2/18 against the Devils and 13/2/18 against the Senators. What’s the plan for his role in the playoffs?

bigG

Jan 18, 2010
Last year in 64 games he had 45pts, 23g only 4 of which came off of the PP and a 45% F/O... He was not bad last year.
do you see all of the red? those are red flags.

Insane PDO. Insane team shooting % at ES. Insane individual shooting %. 65% offensive zone starts.
His underlying stats were trash. Awful shot generation. Awful shot suppression. The points are a mirage.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
You are still only looking at this season, when almost that entire Hawks team is falling short of their abilities. Look at his career and tell me he isn’t worth a 3C @4.5m role.

He is playing with Kane most of the time who has 53 points in 57 games. We still want someone good for this season. Likely cost to acquire wouldn’t be worth it in my POV.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
I'm going to keep track of Mackey's chat to see if he says anything noteworthy. A couple:

-Mackey still thinks the Penguins will only target a 4C at the deadline.
-Mackey seems to think there isn't much of a market for Sheary.
-Mackey thinks it's a real possibility that JR doesn't want to make any big changes because of how well the team is playing.
-Not surprising, but Rust isn't going anywhere. The Penguins like him too much to trade him or let him go.
-It's possible that Rowney is a 4th line winger for the playoffs, which solves the issue of having enough PKing centers.
-The Penguins really like Brassard, but it's a question of making that cap work. Most likely scenario is they're okay with Sheahan as the 3C and they add a 4C, but Brassard is possible. Not likely, though. Mackey just reiterated this, said that the Penguins are interested in Brassard, but he isn't sure how serious or how likely it is.
-Mackey doesn't think JR wants to make a blockbuster trade.
-Mackey thinks the Penguins can do better than Shore for the 4C spot.
-Sheary getting traded is unlikely
-Cole isn't being traded, and they'd gladly trade Hunwick if a team wanted him.

Bolding and underlining important stuff.

Mackey didn't hear JR's show yesterday when JR seems to have changed his tune.

Mackey is going by everything JR has been saying the past few weeks up in til yesterday.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I have zero interest in Anisimov. Dude is a product of Kane and still hasn't put up much points at EV strenght. And woof his contract is bad.
I would be happy to let him transition from being a product of Kane to a product of Kessel. 4.5M isn't too much to pay for a 2C that slots into 3C for us. It's less than the 5m we would pay Brassard and he would likely take less assets to acquire.

Simon Crosby Sheary
Hags Malkin Horny
Guentz Anisimov Kessel
Rowney Sheahan Rust
/Kuhn

PK Sheahan, Rowney, Hags, Rust. Anisimov is the 5th PK guy. Also if you can swing Cullen, play him at LW on the 4th instead.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Mackey didn't hear JR's show yesterday when JR seems to have changed his tune.

Mackey is going by everything JR has been saying the past few weeks up in til yesterday.

Yeah that's true, that was the idea I was getting when reading his replies. Rutherford keeps jumping from saying "we're happy with Sheahan as the 3C" to insinuating that they're going to pull off a big fish player, it's hard to get a read on him right now. I will say, I do feel like it is Brassard that they are going after. Even with Mackey thinking the Penguins will be conservative, he said that the Penguins really like Brassard. If they're going to make a big trade, I'm putting money on Brassard being the guy they bring in.

With the Phaneuf trade, the Senators added a winger and lost a defensemen. I think they'd be fine with taking Hunwick back as a cap dump if the rest of the return is good. If you can do that Sheary to San Jose for O'Regan and a 2019 2nd and then add futures on top of Hunwick to get Brassard, you'd be in a great spot. I just don't know how reasonable that is. Is Hunwick, Gustavsson and a 2019 1st for Brassard enough? I doubt it. I'd be willing to move next year's 1st (or this year's 1st) if the Penguins can pull off another 2nd round pick by trading Sheary.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yeah that's true, that was the idea I was getting when reading his replies. Rutherford keeps jumping from saying "we're happy with Sheahan as the 3C" to insinuating that they're going to pull off a big fish player, it's hard to get a read on him right now. I will say, I do feel like it is Brassard that they are going after. Even with Mackey thinking the Penguins will be conservative, he said that the Penguins really like Brassard. If they're going to make a big trade, I'm putting money on Brassard being the guy they bring in.

With the Phaneuf trade, the Senators added a winger and lost a defensemen. I think they'd be fine with taking Hunwick back as a cap dump if the rest of the return is good. If you can do that Sheary to San Jose for O'Regan and a 2019 2nd and then add futures on top of Hunwick to get Brassard, you'd be in a great spot. I just don't know how reasonable that is. Is Hunwick, Gustavsson and a 2019 1st for Brassard enough? I doubt it. I'd be willing to move next year's 1st (or this year's 1st) if the Penguins can pull off another 2nd round pick by trading Sheary.

If JR likes Brassard close enough to how much he wanted Duchene, I think with the deadline approaching that might be enough to get him to pull the trigger even as an overpayment. As long as that overpay isn’t too extreme. I trust JR in that scenario.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If JR likes Brassard close enough to how much he wanted Duchene, I think with the deadline approaching that might be enough to get him to pull the trigger even as an overpayment. As long as that overpay isn’t too extreme. I trust JR in that scenario.
I don't think there's any question whatsoever that relative to our needs Brassard is far and away the best talent and fit for our team. And JR got a first hand look at him tuesday. In his last couple interviews yesterday his tone has changed rather dramatically. With that in mind, you'd have to think he'll make a very strong push for Brassard. I doubt he's gonna give up a 1st, Sprong or some such package for a Pageau or anyone else. The cap may be a bigger hindrance then the asking price might be.

Richard

Feb 8, 2012
Anisimov is almost certainly not on the Penguins radar; he's older, he's signed to a longer term contract, he can't win faceoffs, he isn't defensively responsible, and hes not a great playmaker.

Plus, his wheels are severely limited. The Pens aren't trading for him.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Anisimov is almost certainly not on the Penguins radar; he's older, he's signed to a longer term contract, he can't win faceoffs, he isn't defensively responsible, and hes not a great playmaker.

What about Brassard? A possibility.

Reactions: KIRK and Richard

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
If Horny or Kuhn come back next week, and in the process they send Blueger down, our cap space goes from about 900k to about 1.6 million. That might help a bit.

kbuck8851

Apr 25, 2012

You mentioned not ruling out a blockbuster with Chicago, would that possibly be about an overpayment for a slightly retained Saad? GMJR did make a push for him last time he was available.

Reactions: Richard

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

It all depends on the price and what other moves Rutherford will make. Like I said, if you pull off another 2nd round pick in any year, I'd be fine with trading a 1st for Brassard. If you can do Sheary for a center prospect and a 2nd, and then use your 1st, Hunwick and another prospect for Brassard, I'd be fine with that. You just have to get that 2nd, or I wouldn't be comfortable with trading the 1st.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Yes, very.

But other teams are more desperate for him I'd say. Pageau will be here for awhile
Maybe Columbus, SJ or Winnipeg? The GM's of those teams aren't as aggressive as JR though. More risk averse. Hopefully JR can outbid them. I'm sure he'd try to anyhow.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Yes, very.

But other teams are more desperate for him I'd say. Pageau will be here for awhile

Why are they more desperate? Pens could 3peat, hell even 4peat. JR is just as desperate as other teams for a center. Maybe not the likes of Tavares type, but Brassard type. Pens have a 4-5 year window so we have to be desperate for our chance to win as many in that time frame. Who knows? maybe we will find another Letang or Jake in those later rounds.

ZeroPucksGiven

Feb 28, 2017
Pretty fair assessment:

Tim asks via email: “What do you think about Jim Rutherford standing pat with Riley Sheahan?”
I mean I guess it’s fine because the Penguins are on right now.
The odds that they overtake Washington to win that division are looking pretty good. And Sheahan, after a slow start with the organization, has 10 points in his last 18 games, which is probably all you want to ask from a No. 3 center you’re playing 16 minutes a night.
Are there upgrades out there? Probably. Do they cost more than what Rutherford already gave up to get Sheahan? Almost certainly. So if you’re doing a cost-benefit analysis here, it’s fine that he’s standing pat. They’re still probably going to lose to whoever comes out of the Atlantic

Puck Daddy Bag of Mail: Canucks' strategy remains puzzling

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
Maybe Columbus, SJ or Winnipeg? The GM's of those teams aren't as aggressive as JR though. More risk averse. Hopefully JR can outbid them. I'm sure he'd try to anyhow.
maybe that explains the change of heart wit jr....hes just trying to discourage the other teams from even bidding.......I can always hope. cause I sure don't want to over pay

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad