Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Insert Witty Thread Title Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Literally every Wings fan?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2387131

I see half that thread saying trade him at the deadline or for a 1st or second.

I see the other half wanting to love him to tank. Which is quite possible, but not where the Wings front office is at.

Also just for future reference the HF trade boards is probably the biggest joke on this forum and the fact that you use that as your argument is hilarious and why I'm always "contrarian" to you.

There was one person in there who said they hoped to get a 1st or 2nd, and someone responded immediately saying that was optimistic. There were more people saying "just get rid of him" than there were people acting like he had serious value.

If you're going to post the source for your claims, don't manipulate them into something they're not while pretending people can't read. We can click on that link to show that the idea that half the thread is saying "he has the value of a 1st or 2nd" is a flat out lie. There is a ton of people in there saying "just give me a 3rd and I'd be happy" or "he has the value of a bag of pucks" or "getting nothing for him is good to re-sign AA".

Last edited:

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Ah, thanks for providing the link! I hate when people say something and can't back it up with a link... Wow, if Holland is asking for a 1st for Sheahan, JR better say goodbye. Highest I'd go is a 3rd and even that I'd rather not do. I'd trade a 4th and min or prospect like Dea or something, nothing more for a guy like Sheahan. His whole value stems from him being inexpensive and possibly rebounding.

Here was the article on Sheahan I was referencing. Sorry for not providing the link. This is a storyline from the CBS local affiliate in Detroit

http://detroit.cbslocal.com/2017/03/01/why-the-red-wings-didnt-trade-riley-sheahan/

SHOOTANDSCORE

Eeny Meeny Miny Moe
Sep 25, 2005
He's a really big body, like 6'4 220, but he can skate well for his size. He a smooth player TBTH.

His skating doesn't make your soul ache like Bones, who has sloppy mechanics.

He's definitely the kind of guy that if you can buy low on, it's well worth the risk. Big bodied, skilled pivots are at a premium in this league.

If he can turn it around, you have a premium, highly sought after asset. If not, you lose a mid round pick or so.

I didn't watch the Wings more than a couple games this year, whereas I watched them a ton before, so I don't know what went on with him.

Some guys regress and can never get back to form, and that could very well be the case here.

I just know he has a lot of attributes I really like and maybe he just needs the proverbial change of scenery like Cole, Nisky, Schultz, Daley, etc.

Adding him and Blueger to the mix at center would definitely add some serious upgrades in skill, vs the other internal options. Not saying much, but still a valid point.

Sounds like he'd be a good fit. There would be enough speed and scoring from his wings. He could focus on netfront, faceoffs, PK, etc and let Recchi and Sully go to work on his game.

Hypothetically, if things would work out, maybe he and TB are battling for the 3C job. That would be a nice upgrade for our 4C

I'm just happy we aren't talking about Duchene for a change. :help:

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
And honestly, Nashville's D don't make all that much sense. If you are a rebuilding team, why are you trading your 26 year old Center for a 27 year old dman?

Idk, who knows if it's true though. They would probably ask Duchene+Zadorov for Letang from us or something with us retaining 30% plus Sprong.

He can't give Duchene away for peanuts!!!

Sakic lives in his own little world.

Wonder if he trades anyone this season, even if they demand a trade.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Here's what I see happening.

Bednar will be fired within a dozen games, a new coach will come in, the Avs will play better, Duchene's value will go up to what Sakic wants, some poor sucker will trade for him, JR will sit quietly saying "Oh thank god we stopped talking to that dip ****."

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
And honestly, Nashville's D don't make all that much sense. If you are a rebuilding team, why are you trading your 26 year old Center for a 27 year old dman?

Well, because they are talented. And those are all ages that are acceptable even in a rebuilding situation. Hell, Duchene could be part of a rebuilding program if they had not screwed the pooch.

You have to make the best deal for your team. IDEALLY you would want a Mikhail Sergachev, but if Mattias Ekholm is the guy you have to take him.

You are more likely to get futures in addition to Ekholm than Sergachev (just using these two for sample purposes), too.

I don't think that is a bad thing, tbh. But with Ryan Ellis out for half the season, it's not happening.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am ok with the whole Sheahan thing for Pouliot if that's what goes down, likely a low pick added to Pouliot since the Wings can't take on any contract of high value.

I think there's Archibald's contract that might have people think twice as it somehow guarantees something that might have teams balk and just let him slide, unless you're one of our rivals or an Ex Pens Gm/ASGM, Archie won't pass through waivers.

I'd rather Sheahan than McClement on the 4th line or even the 3rd line, I'd rather see Rowney and Blueger battle it out for that final C spot.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wait, do people think a 27yr old D-man is too old for a rebuilding team? That's what...a solid 5-6yrs out of that defender given that most defensemen don't really peak until around 24-26yrs old?

Why would that be stupid?

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Idk, who knows if it's true though. They would probably ask Duchene+Zadorov for Letang from us or something with us retaining 30% plus Sprong.

Wonder if he trades anyone this season, even if they demand a trade.

They would have no interest in old and brittle RD Letang. Murray, Sprong, Guentzel, Dumoulin and Maatta for Duchene and Zadorov. Throw in 5 1sts and Lauzon.

He'll make some stupid, small trade at some point.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Everyone thought GMGM taking Schmidt was a good thing, that's a team building, not even rebuilding, they're building from scratch.

Nate Schmidt is 26yrs old, literally just started to peak this past season.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd rather it just be picks for Sheahan to be honest. Pouliot still has some value to the Penguins right now because he's pretty close to NHL ready, he may not become anything in the NHL, but he's a lot more likely to become something than a 2nd round pick (assuming that would be on the high end of what Sheahan would cost). Detroit also has a ton of D under contract right now, they may have to waive one of Sproul or Ouellet just to have room on their NHL roster. If I had to guess, their defense depth chart right now is something like:

DeKeyser-Green
Kronwall-Daley
Ericsson-Jensen
Oullett-Sproul

I don't think they'd want Pouliot because they already have 3 guys exactly like Pouliot in Jensen, Oullett and Sproul.

Sheahan doesn't fit the Wings long term plans, he makes too much money for what role and what he'll bring to the Wings and they need cap space to bring back Athanasiou. The Penguins need about a $2 million 3rd line center that can replace what Bonino brought and ideally shouldn't be expensive to acquire. It's literally a perfect match for the Penguins to bring him in. At worst, he's a 1 year rental, since he's a RFA after the year. At best, JR just pulls off highway robbery #5 or so.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
Everyone thought GMGM taking Schmidt was a good thing, that's a team building, not even rebuilding, they're building from scratch.

Nate Schmidt is 26yrs old, literally just started to peak this past season.

And Schmidt will probably bolt before they do anything. Colorado would have been lucky to get Eckholm for Duchene, though... unless they're going to rebuild like the Oilers.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
And Schmidt will probably bolt before they do anything. Colorado would have been lucky to get Eckholm for Duchene, though... unless they're going to rebuild like the Oilers.

It's a show me contract for him to the league on a team that will give him the minutes and opportunities that the Capitals wouldn't. He'll get double that by the end of his contract, more than double if his trajectory doesn't get off track.

But yeah, Ekholm would be a stabilizing force on their blueline. Sakic still needs to get Zadorov under contract, that part is super important, but Ekholm + for Duchene would be a smart move.

I will say it would be funny as **** for Bonino, goes to the Preds, they promise him 2nd line minutes, a few months later they trade for Duchene and he's now a 3C on a team that just lost an important top 4 D, lmao.

I mean his blueline would then be this in Colorado:

Ekholm, Johnson
Zadorov, Barrie

That's not bad. It's that top 6 that would be hurting, unless they try to pick up Jarnkrok off the Preds too in that deal for the Preds to make space for their forwards. That's way better than anything we could give up or are willing to give up.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
It's a show me contract for him to the league on a team that will give him the minutes and opportunities that the Capitals wouldn't. He'll get double that by the end of his contract, more than double if his trajectory doesn't get off track.

But yeah, Ekholm would be a stabilizing force on their blueline. Sakic still needs to get Zadorov under contract, that part is super important, but Ekholm + for Duchene would be a smart move.

I will say it would be funny as **** for Bonino, goes to the Preds, they promise him 2nd line minutes, a few months later they trade for Duchene and he's now a 3C on a team that just lost an important top 4 D, lmao.

It's good for Schmidt, not so much Vegas aside from flipping him later. Assuming being the best defenseman doesn't lead as to him strugglingly terribly. I wouldn't call it good team building to have two years of a player until they hit free agency and can leave.

They're not going to get Eckholm+ for Duchene. Eckholm alone would have been a win and Sakic wanted more because he's delusional now. This Zadorov business is funny to watch. Of all the times to play hardball with a player.

Not funnier than JR trading Sutter twice. Preds fans are going to stress about Bonino with that contract.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just want the Pens to stay out of that whole ********. We are not getting Duchene, not unless we are seeing Dumoulin offered him and that's just stupid.

I just never want to hear Duchene's name tied to the Pens, ever again or anymore.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I just want the Pens to stay out of that whole ********. We are not getting Duchene, not unless we are seeing Dumoulin offered him and that's just stupid.

I just never want to hear Duchene's name tied to the Pens, ever again or anymore.

Yeah, and I think they are staying away. I think a lot of GMs have moved on after months of the Sakic show.

Sakic is insane, Sakic allegedly reneged on a deal with JR, Letang is made of glass, Maatta just had a good cup run, Blueger is looking strong so far, Sheary is signed to a good deal, Guentzel broke out, Sprong is Sprong and Jarry is an important but part of the G depth this season. It probably needed for the Pens around the TDL.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I'm telling you, Sakic is trying to save his legacy with the Duchene trade. He knows he's looked at as a pretty bad GM right now, so the only way (in his mind) he can shift that opinion is by landing a massive return for Duchene.

He's so gun shy about pulling the trigger because this is his last real chance to salvage his reputation as a GM. Anything less than a Lindros-like return probably will make him too nervous.

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
I'm telling you, Sakic is trying to save his legacy with the Duchene trade. He knows he's looked at as a pretty bad GM right now, so the only way (in his mind) he can shift that opinion is by landing a massive return for Duchene.

He's so gun shy about pulling the trigger because this is his last real chance to salvage his reputation as a GM. Anything less than a Lindros-like return probably will make him too nervous.

I believe it but someone should tell him he's making it worse.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Penguins made it official, a couple hours after D'Orio tweeted it out.

Sheahan's HERO chart actually doesn't look too bad. Sheahan according to those charts was an above average 3C from 2014 to 2016.

Last edited:

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008

Oh absolutely. The guy knows ****ing up the Duchene trade will put him in a horrible light forever as an executive, so he's terrified to get anything less than an absolute haul for the guy. That's why this is taking so long.

He just has to (and will) realize that the longer it drags out, the less the return will be because Duchene and his camp have been dealing with this for a year now, and I'm sure no player wants that hanging over his head for that long. Pretty soon something's gonna give, and Duchene and his camp are likely going to be the catalyst for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad