Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Insert Witty Thread Title Here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
That's not very convincing for your argument if he's saying that their cap compliance is totally dependent on some guys being injured instead of healthy.

Franzen is on an indefinite return from a concussion since 2015 apparently. I guess that's fairly safe. Does change things.

*shrugs* But not much. Judging from the media reports, they're fairly happy to move a guy who's flatlining while he has value.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Because they want to sign AA. If they sign him to a 1.9 M deal that they offered him, they would need to make a mmove (unless my math is off). So unless they really want AA to go to the KHL, they would need a trade right? I just don't agree that they would rather have Sheahan instead of AA.

They can wait and see what happens in camp, hope someone like Kronwall isn't healthy and sign him then.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Because they actually will bring something back?

That's not how teams who believe they can make the playoffs operate. It's just not. Asset management isn't more important than putting out good teams. They're making themselves a worse team by trading Green or Nyquist right now. They probably don't make themselves worse by trading Sheahan.

Franzen is on an indefinite return from a concussion since 2015 apparently. I guess that's fairly safe. Does change things.

*shrugs* But not much. Judging from the media reports, they're fairly happy to move a guy who's flatlining while he has value.

I think they need someone else in addition to Franzen for them to be cap compliant. I think it was that they're partially expecting Kronwall to not start the season, which would give them the cap space they need.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's not how teams who believe they can make the playoffs operate. It's just not. Asset management isn't more important than putting out good teams. They're making themselves a worse team by trading Green or Nyquist right now. They probably don't make themselves worse by trading Sheahan.

I think they need someone else in addition to Franzen for them to be cap compliant. I think it was that they're partially expecting Kronwall to not start the season, which would give them the cap space they need.

If AA signs for the two mill they want they are just under a million over. Pretty easy waiver fix.

How is selling Sheahan a move a contender makes?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Oh right. Yeah, guess that works for them. Still doesn't change the fact the rumourmongers seem pretty clear Sheahan would be available for a fairly reasonable price.

If AA signs for the two mill they want they are just under a million over. Pretty easy waiver fix.

Removes a player they're sour on/have relatively little use for and gives them more cap flexibility. Like us trading Fehr, except they'd actually get a pick.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

But Athanasiou has shown no interest in signing for $2 million.

Because:

A. Sheahan sucks in Detroit
B. Sheahan is on the block
C. They're over the cap
D. They don't need Sheahan there, since they already have Zetterberg-Larkin-Nielsen-Glendening as their center depth
E. Sheahan makes more money than he's worth to the Wings
F. Contending teams do that literally all of the time. Do you remember when the Penguins traded Letestu for borderline nothing because they didn't have a roster spot for him? The Penguins did literally the same thing last year with Fehr too.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Guentzel would probably move to center anyway if there was an injury to Crosby or Malkin, that's another reason I don't think the "ability to replace Crosby or Malkin" should be an important criteria in judging 3Cs.

Idk, if Jake isn't tried as a center for say, the entire year, and then in Jan. Geno goes down, would they really play Jake at C?

This is why I'd like to see Jake at C this training camp. Because in all likelyhood, I think if Geno goes down, they would either call up an AHLer or just bump everyone up the depth chart.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Why does Detroit need to make a cap move?

Holland has said the only reason they'll make a move is if everyone is healthy after training camp.

They are cap complacent after putting Franzen on IR and not signing AA.

Holland also was asking for a 1st at the TDL for Sheahan when teams inquired about him. I don't k ow why people think we can get him for a third or less now anyway. If they like the kid and think he'll bounce back, there are other moves they can make to get under the cap, even if they sign AA at what they're proposing....

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
A. Sheahan sucks in Detroit
B. Sheahan is on the block
C. They're over the cap
D. They don't need Sheahan there, since they already have Zetterberg-Larkin-Nielsen-Glendening as their center depth
E. Sheahan makes more money than he's worth to the Wings
F. Contending teams do that literally all of the time. Do you remember when the Penguins traded Letestu for borderline nothing because they didn't have a roster spot for him? The Penguins did literally the same thing last year with Fehr too.

They have 12 forwards signed.

It is a very different situation then the two you listed.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Holland also was asking for a 1st at the TDL for Sheahan when teams inquired about him. I don't k ow why people think we can get him for a third or less now anyway. If they like the kid and think he'll bounce back, there are other moves they can make to get under the cap, even if they sign AA at what they're proposing....

Link that Holland asked for a 1st?... I know its Vegas and a slightly unusual situation, but Methot went for a 2nd.

billybudd

Feb 1, 2012
Yes, 21 assists over two years makes him a fourth line player. That's where he plays. He's 25 already and in his prime. He is what he is. He should not play on the third line here

I don't know how you can say this with any degree of confidence. 28 months ago, Sheahan was a good 3C with the perception of more upside. Last year he was a 4th liner at best.

Why are you so sure he's the second thing instead of the first, going forward? Maybe it ends up that he's just a scrub from now on, but I don't see why anyone would be so damned sure about it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
They have 12 forwards signed.

It is a very different situation then the two you listed.

And they can trade Sheahan and use that money to sign both Booth and Parenteau, both of which are on pro tryouts with Detroit. I don't know why you're always insistent on being a contrarian on here, you seem to just go against the grain all of the time just to argue with other people.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
And they can trade Sheahan and use that money to sign both Booth and Parenteau, both of which are on pro tryouts with Detroit. I don't know why you're always insistent on being a contrarian on here, you seem to just go against the grain all of the time just to argue with other people.

I'm not being contrarian, you just like to undersell every other team and act like they should give pieces to the Pens for below market value.

Friedman said a lot of teams are interested in Sheahan now and it's been reported the ask was high around the deadline. Nothing you said has been reported except in your own mind. If there are a few teams offering 3rds why would they take ours when it basically a fourth.

Also LOL @ them trading Sheahan for a 4th or Pouliot so they can sign Booth. That is one of the dumbest things I have read. Booth hasn't played in the NHL for two years. Why? Why would they do this?

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

To be fair, there are people thinking a 4th/5th does it. That is a bit nuts and does deserve calling out.

Although, as ever, the argument does stretch a wee bit into hyperbole.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Craig Custance reported it. This was at the deadline though.

So, Sheahan is an RFA

That's a fair point about RFA vs UFA. I don't think Custance reported that Holland was asking for a 1st though.

Regardless, JR can walk away from DET if they wanna over value Sheahan. Only way we (or most teams imo) are interested in him is as a buy low option with some upside potential. If Duchene costs a Nash top 4 D +high pick, and Sheahan costs a st,t the pens best option is obviously either Jake at C or see what Bluegar or Johnson can do.

I just don't think either Duchene or Sheahan will bring that type of haul.

thecore

Jul 2, 2008
Nebraska
steeltuxbird.blogspot.com
I'm not being contrarian, you just like to undersell every other team and act like they should give pieces to the Pens for below market value.

Friedman said a lot of teams are interested in Sheahan now and it's been reported the ask was high around the deadline. Nothing you said has been reported except in your own mind. If there are a few teams offering 3rds why would they take ours when it basically a fourth.

Also LOL @ them trading Sheahan for a 4th or Pouliot so they can sign Booth. That is one of the dumbest things I have read. Booth hasn't played in the NHL for two years. Why? Why would they do this?

Well Detroit probably should be tanking for 1st pick in next year's draft, but Holland is probably delusional and thinks they can contend, as usual.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
So lets go through this logic... ... Plenty of guys here like Ruh's upside... he is 27.... Chris kunitz never scored a goal in the NHL until he was 26...

Derrik pouliot is scrap at 23... Sheahan is what he is at 25....

I mean look i want a guy better than Sheahan too, but if the scouting dept thinks he is redeemable, an they go for him, its not exactly the end of the world... he could easily end up at Bonino level

Shrimper

Trick or ruddy treat
Feb 20, 2010
Essex

Or just finally do the right thing and sign AA.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
That's a fair point about RFA vs UFA. I don't think Custance reported that Holland was asking for a 1st though.

Regardless, JR can walk away from DET if they wanna over value Sheahan. Only way we (or most teams imo) are interested in him is as a buy low option with some upside potential. If Duchene costs a Nash top 4 D +high pick, and Sheahan costs a st,t the pens best option is obviously either Jake at C or see what Bluegar or Johnson can do.

I just don't think either Duchene or Sheahan will bring that type of haul.

A newer name to the rumor mill is Riley Sheahan. The 25-year-old center is in the midst of a dreadful season, having gone goalless through the first 58 games, but has the size and skating ability to be effective in a shutdown role.

According to Nick Kypreos, the Maple Leafs have expressed some interest in Sheahan, but the Wings don’t appear willing to sell low on the former first-round pick.

“The feeling is, regardless of being goalless, that could cost you as much as a first-rounder if the Leafs want him,†Kypreos said.

Per Craig Custance, the Wings have yet to receive an offer to their liking.

Sorry mixed it up.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I'm not saying Sheahan for a 4th. I'm saying Sheahan for a 3rd because literally every Wings fan is saying his value is a 3rd and they'd happily trade him for that. It's just you being a contrarian, you just disagree with people to try and aggravate them. You've been doing this literally all summer. You're arguing just for the sake of arguing.

A. It was never reported the ask was high, it was reported that Cunstance thought it could cost "as much as a 1st" to get him.
B. Nothing you have said in here at all is anything but from your mind. Other people are basing it on actual reports, you're just being a contrarian to argue.
C. It's funny you're saying this when you were literally hellbent all summer arguing about how the Penguins should have traded their 3rd for Beaulieu.
D. You should relaly cut the "nothing in your own mind" garbage, because you're miles away from being a good enough poster to be using that condescending ****.

They invited him to training camp, so they must like something about him. And I like how you're ignoring that I also said Parenteau, plus trading Sheahan gives them more cap space to sign AA.

Last edited:

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Sorry mixed it up.

Ah, thanks for providing the link! I hate when people say something and can't back it up with a link... Wow, if Holland is asking for a 1st for Sheahan, JR better say goodbye. Highest I'd go is a 3rd and even that I'd rather not do. I'd trade a 4th and min or prospect like Dea or something, nothing more for a guy like Sheahan. His whole value stems from him being inexpensive and possibly rebounding.

Giant Yankee Pens

May 17, 2010
Again, if these prices are the actual prices for players (and not just asking for a ton so that they can lower the offer later), then the pens should really try Jake at center. With our wing depth, Jake would give us depth and 3 legit scoring centers to run 3 scoring lines. If he can play NHL caliber C

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
I look at four teams right now, aside from Detroit and Colorado, who may have a center to spare:

- the Islanders are divisional foes and may not be interested in helping us out, but they have Tavares, Nelson, Beauvillier and Cizikas. And they need to make room for Barzal.

- the Blues may not have an issue now, but eventually Patrik Berglund will have to play somewhere. He can play wing, too. They have Brayden Schenn and/or Robby Fabbri being tried at center. They have Stastny. They have Brodziak. They have Barbashev and now Sundqvist (whom I do not believe will make the roster, but ya never know). They also have Sobotka and Steen, who can play center.

- the Coyotes are getting Brad Richardson back from a broken leg. They acquired Nick Cousins, a similar player, from Philly. They have youngsters Dylan Strome and Christian Dvorak, and they acquired Derek Stepan in the off-season. That does not even count Clayton Keller, who might have to start his Calder candidacy on the wing but who is a natural center.

- the Bruins have Ryan Spooner, who seems to be the odd man out if everybody is healthy: Bergeron, Krejci, Forsbacka Karlsson, Kuraly, plus Backes can play center and a bunch of other prospects knocking on the door.

We could probably add Vegas and Dallas to this list, but I would be focusing on these four teams right now. I like Spooner a lot. I think he is the type of center who can drive play, so there would be no need for Kessel to play on the third line.

The ideal acquisition? For me it's probably Ivan Barbashev. He's perfect. And probably unavailable. Probably.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I'm not saying Sheahan for a 4th. I'm saying Sheahan for a 3rd because literally every Wings fan is saying his value is a 3rd and they'd happily trade him for that. It's just you being a contrarian, you just disagree with people to try and aggravate them. You've been doing this literally all summer. You're arguing just for the sake of arguing.

Literally every Wings fan?

http://hfboards.mandatory.com/showthread.php?t=2387131

I see half that thread saying trade him at the deadline or for a 1st or second.

I see the other half wanting to love him to tank. Which is quite possible, but not where the Wings front office is at.

Also just for future reference the HF trade boards is probably the biggest joke on this forum and the fact that you use that as your argument is hilarious and why I'm always "contrarian" to you.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad