Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Everybody's Building Ships and Boats

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
No matter how much I'd like to get rid of Hags, I'd be surprised if this was the deal. We'd be losing even more speed from the lineup, which is not going help us play Sully's system. Strome is not quick. He's a better shooter however. Also, he's better on the RW, which we don't need. If we got him, we'd be playing him at center, which is not his best position . Also, I can't see a one-for-one deal here, and I wouldn't want to give up anything more than Hags to take a flyer on Strome....

I disagree about Strome. He's better at center than on the wing. It was one of the reasons he seemed to struggle with the Islanders and ultimately got him traded. They kept trying to pigeon hole him onto RW where he always looked a little bit uncomfortable. He was at his best in NY when he was at center.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Or maybe he was just scratching Cole because Cole has been bad recently and Sullivan was trying to wake the team up by scratching a somewhat high profile veteran.

People overthink things on here :laugh:

When GMs and AGMS of struggling teams who were projected to be much better are watching one another, scratches are going to come under closer scrutiny. We've had no shortage of "higher profile" veterans perform poorly over the last couple years but scratching them has been relatively rare under Sully. I mean, if Kunitz can go half a season with one ES point playing beside Crosby and not get scratched, it's fair to say that the decision-making process isn't always merit-based.

So it could be that Sully thought Cole should watch one from the press box. But it might not be.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
For the record, Cole has been really bad for the last 3-5 games. He was laying the wood, but he was making some poor errors. SO I think he needed a humbling night or two off.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Maybe he didn't want to dictate usage to Sully.

That opens up some interesting possibilities too.

I don't see the Pens being able to give up a top 4 D man in a three-way trade if that's what's being suggested. Dumo, Schultz, Letang and Maatta likely aren't going anywhere for anyone of the EDM lineup or Sabres unless we're talking McDavid or Eichel lol. The struggling players on those teams should net no more than Cole, Ruh or Hunwick IMO

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
When GMs and AGMS of struggling teams who were projected to be much better are watching one another, scratches are going to come under closer scrutiny. We've had no shortage of "higher profile" veterans perform poorly over the last couple years but scratching them has been relatively rare under Sully. I mean, if Kunitz can go half a season with one ES point playing beside Crosby and not get scratched, it's fair to say that the decision-making process isn't always merit-based.

So it could be that Sully thought Cole should watch one from the press box. But it might not be.

No, it's really just that. There's no other controversy here, it was Sullivan scratching a somewhat high profile veteran to try and light a fire under the team when it is severely underperforming. That's really all it is.

Why do people think scratching Cole would even make sense if they were shopping Maatta? That doesn't make sense. First off, the idea that teams "shop" players like that is just wrong anyway. And anyway, Maatta played 20:37 yesterday, but that wasn't close to a season high. He played more against Washington 2 weeks ago, it was his 6th highest ice time on the season. I think people are just starved for trades, so they're making any simple situation into a complex situation involving a trade. Trading Maatta already doesn't make sense at all, there's not a shred of logic behind trading him.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I disagree about Strome. He's better at center than on the wing. It was one of the reasons he seemed to struggle with the Islanders and ultimately got him traded. They kept trying to pigeon hole him onto RW where he always looked a little bit uncomfortable. He was at his best in NY when he was at center.

I think Strome would be really interesting to play along Kessel and ZAR (if/when ZAR makes the NHL). The issue is why would Edmonton be trading Strome this early when they moved Eberle for him like 5 months ago? I just don't see it as very likely. They'd probably want someone like Sheary for Strome, and I'm not sure I want to gamble on Strome being able to play center to make that kind of move. There are worse moves out there than Sheary for Strome, though. The Oilers wouldn't do Hagelin for Strome.

The nice thing about Strome is that I don't think that you'd have to heavily shelter Strome if he was the 3C. Not saying he's a defensive ace or something, but that when he played center back in the day with the Islanders, his offensive zone starts/defensive zone starts were close to 50/50 and he did well in that role. If he can play center consistently, Strome is probably an amazing target if you want an offensive 3C, because he's also not horrid defensively like Spooner is.

The more research I do, the more I become interested in a Sheary for Strome swap :laugh:

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
I think Strome would be really interesting to play along Kessel and ZAR (if/when ZAR makes the NHL). The issue is why would Edmonton be trading Strome this early when they moved Eberle for him like 5 months ago? I just don't see it as very likely. They'd probably want someone like Sheary for Strome, and I'm not sure I want to gamble on Strome being able to play center to make that kind of move. There are worse moves out there than Sheary for Strome, though. The Oilers wouldn't do Hagelin for Strome.

The nice thing about Strome is that I don't think that you'd have to heavily shelter Strome if he was the 3C. Not saying he's a defensive ace or something, but that when he played center back in the day with the Islanders, his offensive zone starts/defensive zone starts were close to 50/50 and he did well in that role. If he can play center consistently, Strome is probably an amazing target if you want an offensive 3C, because he's also not horrid defensively like Spooner is.

The more research I do, the more I become interested in a Sheary for Strome swap :laugh:
NO NO.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think Friedman cited Strome as being on the market. I mean what do they expect to get for him beyond like a 2nd and a 4th with that contract.

His contract isn't bad, he makes $2.5 million a year and he's a RFA after the year. That's not a bad contract at all.

I honestly don't understand why so many Oilers fans are down on him, to be honest. He seems to have done alright so far this year. Nothing crazy, but he's on pace for 36 points with alright possession stats. He's not having an atrocious season or anything.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
Strome is an interesting target. Not high on my list, but I wouldn’t be mad about it depending on price. I’m not moving Maatta unless the return is a stud.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Strome would just seem like shuffling deck chairs - he's not fixing our 3C problem. If we're dealing with Edmonton, I'd have to assume it's RNH. He's had a bounceback year and is even above 50% in the dot this season.

Maybe Cole was scratched the other day for us to give Maatta a few extra minutes.

I doubt Edmonton is interested in trading one of their few offensive threats. They may want a d, but scoring goals has been their biggest problem.

That'd be like us trading Kessel at this point.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
Just posted Sheary and Kuhnhackl to Edmonton for Strome and Letestu on the main boards. Let's see how this goes.

Why do we want two centers? I know strome/testube can play c/w but they both seem more like centers to me. And Sheahan is a pure center.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Why do we want two centers? I know strome/testube can play c/w but they both seem more like centers to me. And Sheahan is a pure center.

I'd have Letestu playing on the 4th line LW. The idea would be to help bring more skill to the 4th line and I know Letestu can play LW. It dramatically helps the Penguins center depth too, they'd still have 4 legit NHL centers with an injury to any center. If Malkin goes down, slide Strome to 2C and have Letestu and Sheahan be your 3C and 4C. It also helps to get another legit PKing center. The Penguins could also put Letestu on the 3rd line and bump Hagelin to the 4th line too.

Ideally, the Penguins would have:

Guentzel-Crosby-Hornqvist
Rust-Malkin-Sprong
Hagelin-Strome-Kessel
Letestu-Sheahan-Archibald
Rowney-Reaves

Who is going to play center for them? We would have 7 centers and them 3 counting Draisaitl.

Khaira would be their 4C. Strome is already playing RW for them and Oilers fans haven't scoffed at the idea of trading Letestu. Khaira isn't a great 4C (he's young though, so he'll get better), but you don't need a great 4C when your top-9 centers are McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH.

I would not get behind a Strome trade. The time for 3C bandaids is over.

How would Strome be a band-aide in the 3C spot? Strome would be a long term solution.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
The type of deal makes sense. A good bottom 6 LW and C are two spots we should be looking at upgrading at a minimum.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
We would have to move more salary out. Emp's line up isn't compliant.

Yes it is, the Penguins just have to wait until they have the prorated cap space to do that. Sheary costs $500k more per year than Strome does and Letestu costs $1.2 million more per year than Kuhnhackl does. They just need to wait until they have the prorated cap space to do that, which won't take very long.

Edit: I also just threw together the lineup on CapFriendly, it shows the Penguins would have $531k in cap space after that move. So it does work with the cap.

The type of deal makes sense. A good bottom 6 LW and C are two spots we should be looking at upgrading at a minimum.

My thought is that this deal kills 3 birds with 1 stone:

1. It gives the Penguins more offense from their 3C.
2. It makes the 4th line much more skilled
3. It opens up a spot for Sprong in the NHL

It also does more stuff than that (like gets rid of Kuhnhackl, gives the Penguins a 5th legitimate NHL center, gives the Penguins a 2nd NHL proven PKing center), but those are the 3 big ones.

Last edited:

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Yes it is, the Penguins just have to wait until they have the prorated cap space to do that. Sheary costs $500k more per year than Strome does and Letestu costs $1.2 million more per year than Kuhnhackl does. They just need to wait until they have the prorated cap space to do that, which won't take very long.

We also have 14 forwards (unless someone is on LTIR).

Jag68Sid87

Sullivan gots to go!
Oct 1, 2003
Montreal, QC
Not interested in bringing back Letestu. We have fourth-line centers, that spot we can cover. It's the other bottom-six spots that need addressing.

I would not mind Ryan Strome in a swap for Carl Hagelin, but no way I'd want to part with Sheary at this time. Sheary is part of the solution, not part of the problem. From Edmonton, I like Puljujarvi and he is still in their dog house. Might be available. I also like Slepyshev, though his propensity to get hurt scares me. I also like Tyler Benson and Kailer Yamamoto, both playing in junior hockey right now. Nurse would be a nice addition in an expanded deal.

Speaking of Strome, what about going after Dylan? He is starting to light up the AHL. Perhaps in a deal for Letang? We'd have to take salary back for sure. Hjalmarsson and Strome for Letang, Hagelin and a pick?

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Not interested in bringing back Letestu. We have fourth-line centers, that spot we can cover. It's the other bottom-six spots that need addressing.

I don't really know how people can be happy with Rowney as the 4C, to be honest. Letestu is insanely better than Rowney, Rowney is an extra forward and Letestu is about as good of a 4C as you can get.

I would not mind Ryan Strome in a swap for Carl Hagelin, but no way I'd want to part with Sheary at this time. Sheary is part of the solution, not part of the problem. From Edmonton, I like Puljujarvi and he is still in their dog house. Might be available. I also like Slepyshev, though his propensity to get hurt scares me. I also like Tyler Benson and Kailer Yamamoto, both playing in junior hockey right now. Nurse would be a nice addition in an expanded deal.

Speaking of Strome, what about going after Dylan? He is starting to light up the AHL. Perhaps in a deal for Letang? We'd have to take salary back for sure. Hjalmarsson and Strome for Letang, Hagelin and a pick?

God no to that Arizona deal, dear lord, that's awful.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Re: the bolded.

One of the glaring issues with the Oilers is, apart from McJesus, they're a painfully slow roster. So the rationale behind Strome for Hagelin would be dealing a mediocre skater for a super fast one, similar to us dealing Perron for, ironically, Hagelin.

The hitch in that plan is part of the reason the Oilers did the Strome for Eberle deal was to cut salary. So adding Hagelin's $4 million for next season, when McDavid and Draisaitl's extensions kick in, might not work for them.

I would not get behind a Strome trade. The time for 3C bandaids is over.

Strome, even as a disappointment, has produced roughly 30 points the past couple of seasons. That's not much below what Bonino produced in Pittsburgh. Strome, at his best, produced 50 points. I'm not sure he'd be a bandaid anymore than the other 3C options people keep talking about are.

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad