Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Every time I refresh, I panic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Sprong for Strome is 1000% the type of move the Penguins should be making, even if it doesn't pan out, Strome's upside is way higher than anyone else you have that is NHL ready right now. I think people are writing him off way too early.

I'm not sure how far off just swapping Maatta, Rust and Sprong for Goligoski, Perlini and Strome is, to be honest.
Don't you god damn dare get my hopes up of getting Goose (I have so many top gun gifs...soo many) back and adding Perlini.

My want for Perlini borders on my man-crush for Rust. So it's fitting they swap.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I feel like people need to relax on Dylan some at this point. Ryan is completely mediocre for sure, but Dylan is only 20. His problems are similar to Maatta, he's just a slow skater. His playmaking talents and hockey IQ are both really good, his skating is just poor. He'd be an amazing piece to acquire in exchange for Sprong, I can't imagine any team beating that offer.

A playmaking center with a high hockey IQ, but poor skating? I wonder if that sounds familiar to someone else who has worked with Kessel in the past.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Pens lose tonight and man GMJR will have to bring the axe and ticket punch to the room. I think Sully has to inform the players this is it for those who continue to float and play with no sense of urgency. Can;t hope Sid comes back as a superstar that can carry them. Those days are over as to Sid and Geno for any extended period.

If by extended period you mean over a month, you're right. But for less than that they can and that can be enough to reignite the confidence and urgency.

deathtouchtrample

May 5, 2014
Just saw these on Twitter so I thought I'd share. According to this site's gar and gaa models. Maatta is 27th best in the league is Goals above replacement and the 10th best Dman in Goals above average. Riikola is 3rd worst in GAR and the worst D in the league in GAA.

Reactions: ronduguayshair

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Just saw these on Twitter so I thought I'd share. According to this site's gar and gaa models. Maatta is 27th best in the league is Goals above replacement and the 10th best Dman in Goals above average. Riikola is 3rd worst in GAR and the worst D in the league in GAA.

I'd be curious to see what goes into these models, because there's some things on those lists that just don't make sense.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Riikola has not played enough for this to mean anything.

Reactions: Riptide and Finesse

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I was thinking Goose + Strome + pick/prospect for Maatta and Rust.

Penguins D gets faster and they get a possible LW/C option. Arizona get veterans with cost controled term that are still age aligned with their younger core.
Let me be perfectly clear here, I have absolutely no interest whatsover in either player and in particular Strome! I didn't like him when he was drafted and nothing I've seen from him in the interim has changed my mind. As far as Goligoski goes he's woeful defensively. Good offensive acumen, good first pass, good skater but defensively he's a liability. I hope to God, (and I don't throw around that term lightly) that we don't seriously consider either of those guys.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Let me be perfectly clear here, I have absolutely no interest whatsover in either player and in particular Strome! I didn't like him when he was drafted and nothing I've seen from him in the interim has changed my mind. As far as Goligoski goes he's woeful defensively. Good offensive acumen, good first pass, good skater but defensively he's a liability. I hope to God, (and I don't throw around that term lightly) that we don't seriously consider either of those guys.

Thought experiment time! Let's reverse it.

What if a team offered you Maatta, Rust and Sprong for Goligoski, Perlini and Strome (or literally anyone)?

Would you want those three players either?

Because, you might not like those guys in Arizona but I'd imagine no one wants our guys either.

Maatta is bad at offense and defense. Rust has hands of stone. And Sprong is overrated. Kinda sounds like the same reasons you would hate the ARI guys, eh?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So we're back to mocking 40 pts eh... too bad Sprong couldn't even play at that pace last season despite being a one dimensional forward with every offensive advantage and playing with a super star...

He matched Sheary's pace as a 20 year old without any familiarity with Crosby's tendencies.

Simon who is doing exactly what your talking about. You don’t need to look to far to see that.

Simon's acquitted himself well, and proves that a young guy can come in and produce like Sheary under similar circumstances - but he was also a roster regular by the middle of last year, after which depth scoring was still a problem.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
He matched Sheary's pace as a 20 year old without any familiarity with Crosby's tendencies.

Simon's acquitted himself well, and proves that a young guy can come in and produce like Sheary under similar circumstances - but he was also a roster regular by the middle of last year, after which depth scoring was still a problem.

So were doing that thing where we ignore Shearys good season to make our point?

Fot the guys that champions p/60 when it suits him, its awesome that you dismiss the guy that led the league in p/60 just 2 years ago. I mean its actually making me happy its so funny.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Any quick lookup to see how Johnson has effected Letangs numbers? Just curious.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

TL-DR - possession share percentages fairly similar, but that's with less action for and less action against compared to Letang's normal self. Despite that, Pens are actually scoring more with Letang-Johnson (by a small margin) and conceding more (by a considerable one).

Based solely on the numbers, you'd want to see whether the 4% swing in goaltending was random or on Johnson, but elsewise it seems an acceptable option.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
Hmmmm... there's something fishy about those charts, gang. Let's see who this "Evolving-Hockey" really is!

TPxmC7t.jpg

*gasp*

Olli Maatta?!?

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
So were doing that thing where we ignore Shearys good season to make our point?

Fot the guys that champions p/60 when it suits him, its awesome that you dismiss the guy that led the league in p/60 just 2 years ago. I mean its actually making me happy its so funny.

This isn't 2 years ago. If it were, nobody would have wanted to give up Sheary. The problem is that he was a shell of that last year and he's not close to it this year either.

Sheary is who I thought he was by the end of last year. Nothing in this early season is surprising me or making me regret getting rid of him, but YMMV.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Thought experiment time! Let's reverse it.

What if a team offered you Maatta, Rust and Sprong for Goligoski, Perlini and Strome (or literally anyone)?

Would you want those three players either?

Because, you might not like those guys in Arizona but I'd imagine no one wants our guys either.

Maatta is bad at offense and defense. Rust has hands of stone. And Sprong is overrated. Kinda sounds like the same reasons you would hate the ARI guys, eh?
Sprong hasn't IMO been afforded much of an opportunity, Rust up until the last playoff was a very clutch performer in the post season and has been effective on the PK and on the forecheck throughout his time here. And Maatta at least has been serviceable to good at points in his career defensively. I don't see the same from the Yotes contingent there at all.

To be clear I'd like to make a trade but I'd rather make no trade than I would a bad trade. Regarding Sprong he has little value, and if we trade Rust that should (in theory) open up a spot for him. And he's cheap and young, we need more such players moving forward.

Last edited:

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Sprong hasn't IMO been afforded much of an opportunity, Rust up until the last playoff was a very clutch performer in the post season and has been effective on the PK and on the forecheck throughout his time here. And Maatta at least has been serviceable to good at points a in his career defensively. I don't see the same from the Yotes contingent there at all.

Just seems more like you don't want to recognize the Pens players flaws.

That's fine. They should be good. I'm not even an advocate of trades because I doubt they'll help the team right now.

How reality works if I'm another team:

I don't care about Sprong not getting a chance. Other than how much it hurts his value and how little I need to give up to get him. Because I'm taking a huge question mark trading for that guy.

Rust falling off a cliff isn't a positive trend. Dude isn't 27 having a dip. He's likely on downside of career as we speak. PK is a slight skill but I'm not overpaying for a shot blocking ankle.

And Maatta. Well. His advanced stats are phenomenal. But my scout says he plays weak and looks like shit in game. And is $4mil?

Yeah. I'm gonna have to say no, JR.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Just seems more like you don't want to recognize the Pens players flaws.

How reality works if I'm another team:

I don't care about Sprong not getting a chance. Other than how much it hurts his value and how little I need to give up to get him. Because I'm taking a huge question mark trading for that guy.

Rust falling off a cliff isn't a positive trend. Dude isn't 27 having a dip. He's likely on downside of career as we speak. PK is a slight skill but I'm not overpaying for a shot blocking ankle.

And Maatta. Well. His advanced stats are phenomenal. But my scout says he plays weak and looks like **** in game. And is $4mil?

Yeah. I'm gonna have to say no, JR.
Flat out I don't trade Sprong because he has little to no value. As far as Rust goes we very much disagree. I'm not sure why he'd be on the downside of his career. He's still a relatively young player, plenty of speed and as I mentioned, has a good playoff resume. The players from the Yotes you mentioned don't have that resume. Nothing close actually.

Again if that's the sort of value we'd get back I'd rather stand pat. And I don't necessarily want to stand pat.

Reactions: EightyOne

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Arizona might be an interesting trade partner. There's a piece by an Arizona writer for The Athletic that names Perlini, Strome, and Goose as potentially available. Tocchet has to have some favorites we could send him for someone off that list.

Goose = Gogo? He's a player I'd be extremely interested in, as with Perlini.

I was thinking Goose + Strome + pick/prospect for Maatta and Rust.

Penguins D gets faster and they get a possible LW/C option. Arizona get veterans with cost controled term that are still age aligned with their younger core.

Honestly, I'd go after Perlini before Strome. You get a big skilled LW who can skate, without the optics of acquiring someone who was picked 4th (3rd?) just a few drafts ago.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Right, but “NHL style game” is the same euphemism for “200 foot game,” which many NHL players don’t play either....like many wingers who have played for the Pens (see Phil, Sykora, etc)...it’s a circular and therefore meaningless description...if the coach thinks you play well, then you have a NHL style game and if not, then you don’t...lol...I agree with those saying if Sprong filled the net, he’d play a NHL game...Sully doesn’t like sniper types in general but he’d still play a NHL game

Or it's an euphemism for "don't be a one dimensional offensive winger with questionable offense". As was already pointed out, Sprong's most dangerous looking game - by FAR was the last one.

Reactions: WheresRamziAbid
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad