Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building - Change is Imminent

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beauner

Jun 14, 2011
Pittsburgh
Well at least now we have some material for the next "what trades almost happened but never did?" thread.

This kinda sucks. Don't really think we'll get a much better deal.

Reactions: BHD

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
So what now? Arizona? Nashville?

Both Carolina and Dallas could still use some extra scoring.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So what now? Arizona? Nashville?

Both Carolina and Dallas could still use some extra scoring.

Seem to recall Montreal were rumoured to have an interest last season. I don't know if they're a place Phil would want to go, but I'd imagine they want to win and he's the sort of extra offensive piece that could go a long way for them. Looks like there'll be a lot of cap space there too, as they're projected to have 11m cap space with a full roster already signed and Lehkonen as their biggest RFA.

But really, it's less about who wants Phil than where Phil wants to go, and I feel like we've got no real clue where that is other than allegedly Arizona.

edit: If a chance to win is big, as it is seemingly is, they're not the greatest choice going but they're stronger than Minnesota.

Reactions: Andy99 and BHD

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
(d) If the Club elects to terminate this SPC pursuant to this Paragraph 13, it shall be
obligated to pay to the Player, in equal semi-monthly installments, to be paid in accordance with
the payroll payment schedule applicable to the Club's Active Roster, over twice the remaining
term of the SPC (the "Buy-Out Period"):

(i) if the Player is under 26 years of age at the time the termination is
effective, an amount equal to 1/3 of, or

(ii) if the Player is 26 years of age or older at the time the termination is
effective, an amount equal to 2/3 of the total fixed amount of the Player's Paragraph 1 NHL
Salary, for the unexpired fixed-term of this SPC, reduced by any advance payment of Paragraph
1 Salary received by the Player prior to the date the termination is effective.

@Riptide @LiffLaff

Doesn't this mean Victor Rask, 26, would get 2/3 of his remaining salary if bought out?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Yeah, I feel like it's going to be Arizona. In that case, I'm not super high on what the return would be.

I feel like whoever we get, it's going to be something of a question mark. I've been big on what Zucker could be for us for a while, but there's no denying he's had a bad season and maybe he'd have another here and become a millstone. The names getting floated - Galchenyuk, Dvorak, Granlund, Smith - they're all a bit questionable too in their various ways.

I just hope there's enough interest to drive things to the high end of reasonable.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
So is it legitimately confirmed that Phil is the one that requested a trade? I just want to make sure before I start accepting some of these weak ass proposals we are apparently about to get.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Regardless of who is forcing the issue, it looks like it'll come down to trading him to whatever team he accepts for a mediocre return. Can't wait to see the pitchforks come out when that happens.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So is it legitimately confirmed that Phil is the one that requested a trade? I just want to make sure before I start accepting some of these weak ass proposals we are apparently about to get.

I don't think so? Some guy on Canadian TV who's meant to know things said that Kessel has twice requested trades, but I don't think he explicitly said this was one of them, and it's only one guy in any case.

Although if he's right, I'd imagine Kessel would request a trade in this situation if Rutherford wasn't already working on it. But that's pure speculation.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Although if he's right, I'd imagine Kessel would request a trade in this situation if Rutherford wasn't already working on it. But that's pure speculation.

You would have to think the longer this goes on the likelier it is that Phil just asks to be traded.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Is there any chance Phil is on the roster next year? Like I can’t see how he could be at this point in the relationship— but I also can’t see how the return isn’t going to be extremely bad.

SaucyCelly

Feb 21, 2019
Definitely think GMJR should be calling CAR selling them on Kessel, plenty of decent D to do a trade if they want that (any of their top 5 Pesce, Slavin, Hamiliton, De Haan, Faulk). If it is Faulk I would like another piece. Or could do for picks because they have plenty of them. If its picks use one of them to get rid of JJ or Guds. And go after someone in free agency, preferably someone like Zucc.

Edit: Plus they could use some scoring outside of TT, Aho

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
You would have to think the longer this goes on the likelier it is that Phil just asks to be traded.

I mean, he doesn't have to ask, does he? Rutherford's already doing all he can. I think the only thing that changes the longer this goes on is the bigger the list of teams he'll say "Yes" to becomes, which is why I think every report on the Minnesota thing (apart from Friedman's, which I think might be read too definitively) has it as "No for now" or "Highly Unlikely" rather than "No Nay Never".

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
I mean, he doesn't have to ask, does he? Rutherford's already doing all he can. I think the only thing that changes the longer this goes on is the bigger the list of teams he'll say "Yes" to becomes, which is why I think every report on the Minnesota thing (apart from Friedman's, which I think might be read too definitively) has it as "No for now" or "Highly Unlikely" rather than "No Nay Never".

Maybe. I’d hope so, because that MN deal is going to look golden when the real thing happens imo.

Problem is I can’t imagine Zucker is with the Wild long enough for Kessel to come around to a trade there.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
At the risk of getting off topic and derailing a thread (that's largely been derailed already); This is the kind of shift in approach that happened when we parted ways with Neal and went with Hornqvist. Phil needs to go, and it's in both parties' (Pens as well as Phil) best interest that it happens quickly this summer. The Neal trade worked out very well, but there's always a risk involved with a trade of this magnitude. I do, however, think a Zucker that gets back to his 65pt potential is a better option for this team moving forward than an 80pt Phil Kessel--without a doubt.

The Neal trade only worked AFTER we added Kessel. When it was only Horny, we flamed out in the 1st round.

Zucker get back to his 65 point potential? Dude's 27, makes 6 mil per, and he's scored more than 47 points precisely once,...when he scored 64. That's pretty shaky.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
First couple years I agree. Now, unless you think Crosby and Malkin need him to make a powerplay work, there’s not much to back that up.

His elite production on the PP and at ES show how much Kessel adds to the team. We will miss it when he's gone if we don't add another elite producer especially as Sid and Geno age. It amazes me how quickly people forget that Phil kept us afloat offensively for the first 1/3 of last season.

A 40-50 point burner taking up 6 mil per un cap space isn't going to bridge that gap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad