Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cat On a Tin Roof, Dogs In a Pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Russell Crowe is a Pens fan did not know that. Get him in on ownership. He owns part of a rugby club in Australia

During Mystery Alaska, he befriended Jagr, then somehow just became a Pens fan. He still makes the random comment about the Pens during the playoffs, etc.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here's how that makes sense, Kessel can carry a line's production and Horny cannot.

Therefore Horny can't play anywhere in the top 9 and still be an extreme difference maker for this team?

I understand arguments against Horny if price/term get too crazy, but for people to easily dismiss him is downright silly. Downright silly.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
What sort of PMD you thinking here? Dumba? Another Schultz? Shattenkirk?

I don't think we need anyone as productive as Shatty or Schultz tbh. Not gonna say Dumba either because he's always struck me as a pretty low-IQ player - a poor man's Letang, if you will. Just a PMD who plays a reliable defensive game and can put up 30 points per.

What we had with Daley in '15-'16, essentially.

Because to me, having two high end PMD on the ice almost all the time is a big part of the team being good. That puck transition is the foundation of our scoring.

We can't retain everybody and make the additions we need to though, right? Something has to give...beyond this year anyway.

Is Letang at 7.25 mil more important to our team than what Horny at 5.5 or Kessel at 6.85 brings? I wouldn't say so.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Therefore Horny can't play anywhere in the top 9 and still be an extreme difference maker for this team?

I understand arguments against Horny if price/term get too crazy, but for people to easily dismiss him is downright silly. Downright silly.

Hornqvist is a vital part of the team. Who cares if he doesn’t fit certain line combinations. You make it work because he helps the team win games.

Kessel doesn’t fit with Sid and really doesn’t play the same type of game as Geno, but who cares because he produces offense unlike anyone on the team outside the big two.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Hornqvist is a vital part of the team. Who cares if he doesn’t fit certain line combinations. You make it work because he helps the team win games.

Kessel doesn’t fit with Sid and really doesn’t play the same type of game as Geno, but who cares because he produces offense unlike anyone on the team outside the big two.

Geno & Phil work better than any other combo of those two, so I am ok with that being a thing and always being a thing, because if Sprong wasn't up, he'd be perfect with Sid too but that doesn't seem to be something Sully likes at all for whatever reason.

I also like the look of Horny with Sheahan because it brings balance to the fact that Sheahan is a creative guy with the puck, if you have someone crashing the crease on that line, Sheahan is going to find the guy then all you need is another winger smart enough to get into the slippery areas for a shot or rebound, Sheary is capable of that and I hope Sully KEEPS that trio together.

There's balance to be had, if JR goes out and gets a speedy aggressive 4C.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I don't think we need anyone as productive as Shatty or Schultz tbh. Not gonna say Dumba either because he's always struck me as a pretty low-IQ player - a poor man's Letang, if you will. Just a PMD who plays a reliable defensive game and can put up 30 points per.

What we had with Daley in '15-'16, essentially.

We can't retain everybody and make the additions we need to though, right? Something has to give...beyond this year anyway.

Is Letang at 7.25 mil more important to our team than what Horny at 5.5 or Kessel at 6.85 brings? I wouldn't say so.

Letang specifically - ehhhhh. Still not sure what player he is now. That second PMD though - I think you need better than Daley and I think its more important than Horny/Kessel. Not much use having forwards if you can't get the puck to them.

Not that I think you need to lose Letang to keep both Horny and Kessel. Until Murray's contract needs renewing, I think we can manage most things.

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com

I don’t dismiss Hornqvist but he’s not big on controlled entries and he’s not a great playmaker either. He’s sort of a one-trick pony (but as I say about Ovechkin, it’s one hell of a trick) but he’s really only a legitimate threat on the PP or with Crosby/Malkin and more often than not I’m finding myself wishing Guentzel was taking his spot on the PP and I’m not always feeling like he’s the best option in the Top 6.

If I were GMJR I’d be shopping him to teams who are looking for “that one piece”.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Russell Crowe seems cool. Like a man's man.

Do we still have Snoop? Where's Jeff Goldblum's allegiance?

Coach Travis

Back2Back!!!
Jun 29, 2005
Thunder Bay, Ontario
bucketdecals.com
You only get rid of Hornqvist if he does not wanna play here beyond this season. He's already given a counter offer of 5.5M for what...5 years was it? over JR's 3 years? i'd give Hornqvist 6M for 6 years, but 5.5 for 5 is even better so I'd go with that.
Woof! That would be a laughably bad contract. No way Horny should be getting a raise! This is what we call “paying a premium for past performance”.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
I don’t dismiss Hornqvist but he’s not big on controlled entries and he’s not a great playmaker either. He’s sort of a one-trick pony (but as I say about Ovechkin, it’s one hell of a trick) but he’s really only a legitimate threat on the PP or with Crosby/Malkin and more often than not I’m finding myself wishing Guentzel was taking his spot on the PP and I’m not always feeling like he’s the best option in the Top 6.

If I were GMJR I’d be shopping him to teams who are looking for “that one piece”.

I just cannot understand this perspective. At all. So I have to ask some questions:

- Why would the Pens look to focus on asset management now with a guy like Hornqvist?

- Why wouldn't we do everything we can to re-sign him instead of focusing on asset management? Working out a deal can take time.

- What do you honestly think we would get for him? And to whom are you trading him?

- What the hell do you want with futures?

- Why would the Pens not be one of those teams looking for "that one piece" and trying to find it in a different way?

And most importantly - what do you think the Pens window is? I would say a solid 5 year window here. With that solid 5 year window, I'm not busy worrying looking for draft picks and stuff. I'd rather suck after Sid/Geno leave and i'd rather find the next Sid/Geno to piss people off. :laugh:

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Woof! That would be a laughably bad contract. No way Horny should be getting a raise! This is what we call “paying a premium for past performance”.

He is so consistent every year at production. It’s the NHL if you are consistently putting up around 50 points when you’re contract is up you will get a pay rise and deservedly so. Especially when he’s the best at his skill set in the league.

An extra 1.25 mil is definitely fair

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Think at the very least JR looks for a Cole for Pouliot or Maroon type swap and potentially a rental 3C cuz i don't believe OTT looks to move Brassard/Pageau before Hoffman, Smith, Phaneuf...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Here's how that makes sense, Kessel can carry a line's production and Horny cannot.

I don't think anyone has tried to make a claim that he could carry a line. That's never been the expectation with him.

Agreed. You're gonna need a much better LW and C to go with Horny to make that third line a legitimate threat than you will with Kessel at RW.
Sheary - Sheahan - Hornqvist looked very very good together the few times they played together. I'd have no issues going with that as a 3rd line. Load up the top 6 and you have 3 quality scoring lines.

Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Hornqvist

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
Think at the very least JR looks for a Cole for Pouliot or Maroon type swap and potentially a rental 3C cuz i don't believe OTT looks to move Brassard/Pageau before Hoffman, Smith, Phaneuf...
Not sure the Oilers are in position to trade for a rental or would want to offer an extension to Cole.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Not sure the Oilers are in position to trade for a rental or would want to offer an extension to Cole.

I did say those 'types'. Doesn't have to be one of those 2 guys.
Theres also C possibilities like Pleks, Letestu. Larsson...or those Types for Cole.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I just cannot understand this perspective. At all. So I have to ask some questions:

- Why would the Pens look to focus on asset management now with a guy like Hornqvist?

- Why wouldn't we do everything we can to re-sign him instead of focusing on asset management? Working out a deal can take time.

- What do you honestly think we would get for him? And to whom are you trading him?

- What the hell do you want with futures?

- Why would the Pens not be one of those teams looking for "that one piece" and trying to find it in a different way?

And most importantly - what do you think the Pens window is? I would say a solid 5 year window here. With that solid 5 year window, I'm not busy worrying looking for draft picks and stuff. I'd rather suck after Sid/Geno leave and i'd rather find the next Sid/Geno to piss people off. :laugh:

The only thing I can see about Hornqvist is if he wants more than five years.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
The Oilers are in serious trouble. I wouldn't be surprised if they have a huge shake up. Their season is nearly lost.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
The problem is that we need to shed salary somewhere if we want to retain both Horny and Kessel AND acquire a legit 3C, and there aren't many reasonable targets beyond Letang. I don't think the PMD coming back would have to be a world-beater. A reliable cost-controlled top 4 RH PMD would be enough to cover what we need on the back-end, IMO.

Not really. Without making ANY trades and just re-signing our RFA's and UFA's (mainly Hornqvist), we should have around 3-4m depending on some of the contracts that players receive, and what the final cap number is. I used 80m and the following signings:

Horqnvist: 5.5m
Rust: 2.5m
Sheahan: 2.2m
Jarry: 1.5m
Oleksiak: 1.5m
Sprong: 1.125m
Simon: 750k
Kuhnhackl: 700k

Guentzel - Crosby - Sprong
Rust - Malkin - Kessel
Sheary - Sheahan - Hornqvist
Hagelin - XXXX - Simon

With ~3m or so to find another quality center, I don't think it would be that hard. All we need at the low end is someone as good as Sheahan, and at the higher end, someone a tad better than him. With some of those that will hit the market, that's not asking for that much. Bozak, Ryan, Filppula (might be a little tight), Nash, Letestu, Pleks. These are all guys who can play a 3A/B center role who's salary demands are probably going to be in a range that we can likely afford.

And if any moves are made (cough Hunwick/Hagelin cough), that free's up more space (even if some retention is needed). I also have a hard time seeing that top 9 stay together regardless of how this season plays out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad