Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Cat On a Tin Roof, Dogs In a Pile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
So Horny doesn't play well with Sid now? Well that's news to me

When was the last time he did? They barely played together in the back end of last season. This season, Horny has 1 EV goal with Sid contributing, Sid has 4 with Horny contributing.

I'm not saying they never will again. That would be ridiculous. But its enough to give me a little bit of doubt. Particularly when we've all heard that Sid doesn't like playing with him.

I was all in favour of Sid and Horny at the beginning of the season. But it hasn't been an answer.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Crosby still plays good with Horny, but he needs fresh blood at the same time. Crosby has been pretty bad all season minus here and there but I chalk that up as he's saving his energy. Malkin goes down and out of nowhere Crosby goes beast mode, Malkin comes back and Crosby sucks again to save more energy. Now lately Crosby been beast mode again, will probably stay beast mode for a little while as he has got the young fresh blood on his wings before he goes back into saving energy mode, then the final 10 games goes into beast mode again for the playoffs assuming we make it.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
When was the last time he did? They barely played together in the back end of last season. This season, Horny has 1 EV goal with Sid contributing, Sid has 4 with Horny contributing.

I'm not saying they never will again. That would be ridiculous. But its enough to give me a little bit of doubt. Particularly when we've all heard that Sid doesn't like playing with him.

I was all in favour of Sid and Horny at the beginning of the season. But it hasn't been an answer.

Then that would account for what... 40-50% of Sid's ES goals?

It "hasn't been the answer" due to the fact that Crosby is struggling mightily and has been for the vast majority of the season, and the players who could help him (primarily Guentzel and Sheary) are having their own struggles.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I think a huge advantage to making a shakeup-style move is that it gets fresh, hungry bodies into the lineup. One of the biggest things plaguing this team is a lack of desperation, hunger, and drive. These guys are complacent as can be, on top of the lineup underperforming and missing key components.

Reactions: Coach Travis

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I think a huge advantage to making a shakeup-style move is that it gets fresh, hungry bodies into the lineup. One of the biggest things plaguing this team is a lack of desperation, hunger, and drive. These guys are complacent as can be, on top of the lineup underperforming and missing key components.

Sheary, Hagelin, Cole, Hornqvist (if he's not going to re-sign with us), plus picks/prospects and 4th line guys like Kuhn, Rowney, etc, out.
Duclair, Reider, Petro, whatever we get in a trade for Hornqvist, in.

All long term pieces. No idea where Hornqvist would go.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Then that would account for what... 40-50% of Sid's ES goals?

It "hasn't been the answer" due to the fact that Crosby is struggling mightily and has been for the vast majority of the season, and the players who could help him (primarily Guentzel and Sheary) are having their own struggles.

45pc or so, yeah. But its still not what we want.

And why is Crosby struggling? Is it simply all internal? Or might it be due to fit/lack of enthusiasm at playing with some of them? Such as the guy who he allegedly doesn't like playing with?

I mean... I'm not a 100% sold on Crosby and Horny being dead. But I think people are being a little gung-ho about it definitely absolutely being fine.

If I was as confident as you guys in Sid/Horny, I'd be adamant we have to resign him.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I would be very disappointed in everyone involved if they got rid of Hornqvist because Sid "doesn't like" playing with him.

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
I would be very disappointed in everyone involved if they got rid of Hornqvist because Sid "doesn't like" playing with him.

You only get rid of Hornqvist if he does not wanna play here beyond this season. He's already given a counter offer of 5.5M for what...5 years was it? over JR's 3 years? i'd give Hornqvist 6M for 6 years, but 5.5 for 5 is even better so I'd go with that. I think if we got someone like Pageau he would do well with him, just something about thinking of Pageau and Hornqvist says they would work well together. Maybe it's because of his name? I dunno, just got a feeling. Smith-Peageau-Hornqvist would be a solid 3rd line if we could get both.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I’m sure he liked it when he was close to a goal per game in the first quarter of last season and all those times they forget about him to beat Horny up in front of the net.

Reactions: Riptide

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Maybe centers like Sid get tired of watching his passes not connect cause the winger can't skate good enough. A LW with a LH shot who plays like Hornqvist would fit better with Sid. On this team he is a third line winger. That is all that matters. and if the AAV and term are more than 5 years and more then 6 million, yes I trade him for that center. I take my chances with Kessel, Sprong and Rust next year.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Edit: a top 6 forward that doesn't fit with either of our 2 top Centers. That's reality

He fits with Sid and has actually looked great with Geno in the last couple games. But my favorite thing is you make an argument that Horny isn't in the top 6, but we all want Kessel on his own line. Ummm whaaat? 72 can fit anywhere.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think some of those are way out of wack as well.
Jarry will not get 2.75m. Maybe half that.
I doubt Rust will either after his season, although that's going to be more term dependent then anything.
Sheahan's QO is ~2.2m. I doubt he takes less than that, even if he's getting some term.
I doubt Oleksiak gets 2.75m - even with 3-4 yrs of term. Something much closer to Hunwicks deal is more likely (if he gets term).
I went as generous as possible as a buffer. I wanted to show it was possible to still retain Horny.

Reactions: Riptide

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
He fits with Sid and has actually looked great with Geno in the last couple games. But my favorite thing is you make an argument that Horny isn't in the top 6, but we all want Kessel on his own line. Ummm whaaat? 72 can fit anywhere.

Here's how that makes sense, Kessel can carry a line's production and Horny cannot.

Reactions: Coach John McGuirk

Nakawick

Minty Fresh
Apr 5, 2010
The Range
JR is all about trading, has been since the summer. Mid December he was talking about a shake up trade, leaked that Letang was available but didn't get an offer he liked and there are no dance partners right now, so he has to put it back on the team to play better, which they do, but JR doesn't have a trade option. At least not right now.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Agree with the first half, not so sure about the second half. Yes we won without Letang, but man was it a dog fight and it was ugly. I can't imagine us winning again without a seriously good PMD coming back.

The problem is that we need to shed salary somewhere if we want to retain both Horny and Kessel AND acquire a legit 3C, and there aren't many reasonable targets beyond Letang. I don't think the PMD coming back would have to be a world-beater. A reliable cost-controlled top 4 RH PMD would be enough to cover what we need on the back-end, IMO.

That we were missing "Letang" last year wasn't such a big problem. We were missing 7.25 mil in cap space that could have been used any number of ways, and Tanger sure as f*** hasn't given us value-for-money this year.

No, I think the question with Letang is if he’ll get back to where he was or close to it. If he can you don’t trade him. If he can’t it becomes about if he’s close to worth that contract going forward and if they can be trusted to use him properly if he’s no longer a bonafide 1D. If he’s a 7.25M 4D going forward who they use like a 1D then he’s got to go.

My issue is that even when he's "on", he's injury prone and not really necessary offensively with Schultz in the fold.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The problem is that we need to shed salary somewhere if we want to retain both Horny and Kessel AND acquire a legit 3C, and there aren't many reasonable targets beyond Letang. I don't think the PMD coming back would have to be a world-beater. A reliable cost-controlled RH PMD would be enough to cover what we need on the back-end, IMO.

That we were missing "Letang" last year wasn't such a big problem. We were missing 7.25 mil in cap space that could have been used any number of ways, and Tanger sure as **** hasn't given us value-for-money this year.

My issue is that even when he's "on", he's injury prone and not really necessary offensively with Schultz in the fold.

What sort of PMD you thinking here? Dumba? Another Schultz? Shattenkirk?

Because to me, having two high end PMD on the ice almost all the time is a big part of the team being good. That puck transition is the foundation of our scoring.

Reactions: billybudd

Speaking Moistly

What a terrible image.
Feb 19, 2013
Injured Reserve
The problem is that we need to shed salary somewhere if we want to retain both Horny and Kessel AND acquire a legit 3C, and there aren't many reasonable targets beyond Letang. I don't think the PMD coming back would have to be a world-beater. A reliable cost-controlled top 4 RH PMD would be enough to cover what we need on the back-end, IMO.

That we were missing "Letang" last year wasn't such a big problem. We were missing 7.25 mil in cap space that could have been used any number of ways, and Tanger sure as **** hasn't given us value-for-money this year.

Yeah, but when he’s on I think he’s still worth it.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Agreed. You're gonna need a much better LW and C to go with Horny to make that third line a legitimate threat than you will with Kessel at RW.

We have Sheary or Guentzel for the LW to go with Hornqvist. We’d want a better C than what we have now but we’d want a better (or at least different) C anyway (even if Kessel was on L3)

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
We have a new scout and he’s already calling JR.

TomHanksWantsGoalReview.gif

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

The good thing is that Sheahan & Hornqvist are good together, so if they decide to not move him at the TDL and can't land a solid 3C better than Sheahan (and that's fine, I like Sheahan) and add a solid 4C instead, I am ok with that.

Sid-Sprong
Geno-Kessel
Sheahan-Hornqvist
4C-Rust

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad