Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
For anyone that missed it NSH's other move today was getting McLeod back for a 7th. lol
Pretty much a nothing move but also pretty pointless.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Outside of the obvious problems on D, one of the main situations I’d like to see clarified is the lines when everyone is back.

I’m sick of the constant shuffling. I watch every night and have no clue what they will be from night to night. Give these guys their lines and give them a couple games to gel.

That and finding Kessel a damn center. Mackey posted today that Kessel has only 1 SOG in 6 of his last 9 games.

That simply can’t happen. He needs a center getting him the puck. Recently, it seems like it’s been the other way around and he’s the one bringing the puck up. I don’t want him here for his center abilities. I want him here for his shot. And 1 SOG is simply not enough.

Guentzel/Crosby/Rust
Pearson/Malkin/Bjugstad
Simon/McCann/Kessel
Blueger/Cullen/Hornqvist

I’d like to see how that combination works.
If you want Kessel to play better, don’t pair him with those 2.

Reactions: Freedom

ownal

Jan 26, 2019
Pittsburgh
Guentzel/Crosby/Kessel
Rust/Malkin/Bjugstad
Simon/McCann/Hornqvist
Blueger/Cullen/ZAR

Trade Pearson, Maatta and JJ.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Good. Rather us not burn a 1st on him.

My concern is JR is going to "burn a 1st" regardless. If it's not on Ferland, he'll just find the next guy on his list and use it to acquire him.

Personally, I think the price the Leafs paid for Muzzin was one JR should have jumped all over.

Reactions: Riptide

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
My concern is JR is going to "burn a 1st" regardless. If it's not on Ferland, he'll just find the next guy on his list and use it to acquire him.

Personally, I think the price the Leafs paid for Muzzin was one JR should have jumped all over.

JR needed to move money out + TOR has better prospects.
The 1st wasn't the problem.

JR doesn't dole out 1st's for rentals since he's been here.
Perron had term. Brass had term.
I'll say maybe he could do it for a rental like Edler but he'd still have to move $ out.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
JR needed to move money out + TOR has better prospects.
The 1st wasn't the problem.

JR doesn't dole out 1st's for rentals since he's been here.
Perron had term. Brass had term.
I'll say maybe he could do it for a rental like Edler but he'd still have to move $ out.

Muzzin's not a rental? He's on the books for next year as well.

Plus, I'm pretty sure LA would have been fine with Maatta in place of those prospects. He's young enough that he'll still be useful to them when they've finished rebuilding.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Muzzin's not a rental? He's on the books for next year as well.

Plus, I'm pretty sure LA would have been fine with Maatta in place of those prospects. He's young enough that he'll still be useful to them when they've finished rebuilding.

LA wanted a picks/prospect deal for Muzzin.
Didn't want to take on salary.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Wanting to trade JJ is going to require giving up even more than we did to get rid of Hunwick. I'm talking first round pick or high prospect.

I don't think that's a price the Pens are willing to pay so most likely we're stuck with that contract.

If you attempt it this year, probably - although I disagree completely with what you think it would cost. However if you wait 12 months, it probably doesn't cost you anywhere near that much to move him due to how his contract is structured.

I'd buy him out this summer if i was JR:

82615c6759bce2b82f33ed59fa6a5c20.png

As much as the length of the buyout sucks, you aren't strained too too hard except for that 2M season 3 and half seasons from right now.

Why not just retain 1m and trade him? Him at 2.25 (and having a lesser salary) wouldn't be that hard to move. And honestly, I don't think you'd need to retain 1m to move him.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
I don't like paying 2nd round picks for guys like Boyle. It reminds me of when the Pens used to pay that kind of price for a Daniel Winnik. Those guys usually don't have any sort of impact on their new team.

I'm not saying I wanted to spend that, but a 2nd round pick is a fine price for a depth center like Boyle. Much better than Winnik for 2nd+4th

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
I think GMJR still believes this D can be good enough to win depending on Schultz. If Schultz is good, that slots the D to where the 3rd pairing guys should be. But the question is based on what we have seen is this a cup contender and most would say no right now. I think you play and see what you have and retool in the draft day off season period. I think GMJR has to be thinking the last three years of Sid, Geno, Letang and build a roster that is young enough, contractually flexible enough and prioritize the farm as well. Would I trade Olli for Martinez yes, but I don't see the benefit of taking on additional contracts beyond that.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I'd like to use the next week or so to determine if this team is actually good or not. Let's say: by next Sunday against NYR.

If it's good without Schultz + defensive help from the outside, then I'd feel comfortable going for it.

Otherwise I'd lean heavily towards selling with a view towards reloading next year. We need young players, prospects, picks and to move salary. Sid/Geno/Letang/Dumo/Jake/Murray are off the table but I'd listen on everyone else. I also take a long look at Sully & his assistants to see if we're driving down Bylsma lane here. Remember that DB was still well regarded for 2 years here post-Cup before he became a pariah. If that's where it's heading with Sully, make the move now.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
LA wanted a picks/prospect deal for Muzzin.
Didn't want to take on salary.

Okay, even then. JR could have then flipped salary elsewhere to make room for Muzzin. He's done it before when he needs to clear cap space to bring in someone he wants.

I just think that Muzzin would have been a Godsend for this defense corps, especially when Schultz is back. Run a top four of Dumo/Letang and Muzzin/Schultz and I like our chances, even with what's left on the bottom pairing.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I'd like to use the next week or so to determine if this team is actually good or not. Let's say: by next Sunday against NYR.

If it's good without Schultz + defensive help from the outside, then I'd feel comfortable going for it.

Otherwise I'd lean heavily towards selling with a view towards reloading next year. We need young players, prospects, picks and to move salary. Sid/Geno/Letang/Dumo/Jake/Murray are off the table but I'd listen on everyone else. I also take a long look at Sully & his assistants to see if we're driving down Bylsma lane here. Remember that DB was still well regarded for 2 years here post-Cup before he became a pariah. If that's where it's heading with Sully, make the move now.

I’d definitely consider moving Murray unless he plays outstanding in the POs if we make it...he hasn’t shown he can be healthy or consistent over the last two years...if we flame out again, he’s got one year left on his contract and we should consider moving him over the summer and bringing in another goalie

Reactions: cheesedanish87

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I think GMJR still believes this D can be good enough to win depending on Schultz. If Schultz is good, that slots the D to where the 3rd pairing guys should be. But the question is based on what we have seen is this a cup contender and most would say no right now. I think you play and see what you have and retool in the draft day off season period. I think GMJR has to be thinking the last three years of Sid, Geno, Letang and build a roster that is young enough, contractually flexible enough and prioritize the farm as well. Would I trade Olli for Martinez yes, but I don't see the benefit of taking on additional contracts beyond that.

Think deep down JR knows this D isn't good enough with his pursuit/interest in Montour/Muzzin.
It's just not as easy as swapping Olli out for one of them tho.

No doubt he's in the same place we are atm that JS back in makes a big difference.

Reality is, he should be actively moving on from both Olli AND JJ to re-vamp the D.
You have Tanger, Dumo, JS(for one more season past this one), MP and Riiko.
Theres 5 that make up a decent start to a re-vamp.

Can't get rid of JJ right at this very moment/moving into the summer? Ok fine.
Get Olli outta here and get a really nice upgrade.

chethejet

Feb 4, 2012
Hockey coaches by and large come and go. Sully to me still in the mindset he has good players, but not a good team. It also seems GMJR has a little different view on the guys he extended like Horny, JJ, Pearson who are not close to playing to the number. some posted Pens would miss Tochett and maybe he was more of a factor than some thought.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The Penguins would have to absolutely guy their system to pull off Muzzin, because he would have cost Addison, Hallander and a 1st. For a team like Toronto, that's something they can afford to do. Pittsburgh? That's taking a rocket launcher to their prospect pool. For Muzzin, I don't think the Penguins had the chips to get into a bidding war for him. They're going to have to find someone who likes Maatta and would trade a better defenseman for Maatta and futures.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Okay, even then. JR could have then flipped salary elsewhere to make room for Muzzin. He's done it before when he needs to clear cap space to bring in someone he wants.

I just think that Muzzin would have been a Godsend for this defense corps, especially when Schultz is back. Run a top four of Dumo/Letang and Muzzin/Schultz and I like our chances, even with what's left on the bottom pairing.

Hey, i wanted Muzzin badly too.
But once the news came out they were'nt looking for salary back, i knew JR would no doubt lose to better bids.

For instance, say JR could've sold Olli to MTL. He probably wouldn't be getting a 1st in that deal. Likely a 2nd+prospect or two 2nds.
Now you turn to LA and you have a 1st and PIT's prospects and
TOR has their 1st and their prospects.
Which deal is better for LA?

ETA: As Emp said 1st+Addison+Hallander would've been the cost JR needed to compete with TOR's deal.

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
I'm almost afraid to ask this because I know the knee jerk reaction is going to just be "NO! HE SUCKS!", but...

Is JMFJ any better on the left side? Are his struggles at all to do with playing on his offside? If they traded Maatta for a RHD to even out the LHD-RHD, maybe putting JMFJ on the left would help...

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’d definitely consider moving Murray unless he plays outstanding in the POs if we make it...he hasn’t shown he can be healthy or consistent over the last two years...if we flame out again, he’s got one year left on his contract and we should consider moving him over the summer and bringing in another goalie

By all means consider it, but that one is going to be super hard to do because teams don't give up starting goaltenders.

I'm almost afraid to ask this because I know the knee jerk reaction is going to just be "NO! HE SUCKS!", but...

Is JMFJ any better on the left side? Are his struggles at all to do with playing on his offside? If they traded Maatta for a RHD to even out the LHD-RHD, maybe putting JMFJ on the left would help...

This is probably part of it. Of course he mainly just sucks and it would be nice if we didn't have him, but rather a RHD to put on the bottom pairing, but if we've got to have him then we need to trade from LD for some RD to rationalise this situation.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

In terms of if it could help JJ a bit, i'd say yes but ideally if his suckage continues, Dumo, Olli, MP or Rikko are playing Left Side D for this team.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh

I was wondering if LA would do Quick for Murray, since LA is rebuilding maybe it would make sense to get a younger goalie.

Reactions: Andy99
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad