Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
Outside of the obvious problems on D, one of the main situations I’d like to see clarified is the lines when everyone is back.

I’m sick of the constant shuffling. I watch every night and have no clue what they will be from night to night. Give these guys their lines and give them a couple games to gel.

That and finding Kessel a damn center. Mackey posted today that Kessel has only 1 SOG in 6 of his last 9 games.

That simply can’t happen. He needs a center getting him the puck. Recently, it seems like it’s been the other way around and he’s the one bringing the puck up. I don’t want him here for his center abilities. I want him here for his shot. And 1 SOG is simply not enough.

Guentzel/Crosby/Rust
Pearson/Malkin/Bjugstad
Simon/McCann/Kessel
Blueger/Cullen/Hornqvist

I’d like to see how that combination works.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Wanting to trade JJ is going to require giving up even more than we did to get rid of Hunwick. I'm talking first round pick or high prospect.

I don't think that's a price the Pens are willing to pay so most likely we're stuck with that contract.

1st/high prospect is a *lot* more than we gave up to get rid of Hunwick. Like, a lot a lot. So much so that I'm not sure I can agree that's how it's going to go.

Reactions: Riptide

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
I would too, but that will make JR and the Pens look really bad for screwing up a signing that badly.

My guess is they idiotically ride this one out for at least another year or two before finally biting the bullet and either trading him for a price none of us will like or buying him out.

Again, riding it out with him on the roster doesn't mean you have to play him...that he's being played and for so many minutes is on Sully...

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
1st/high prospect is a *lot* more than we gave up to get rid of Hunwick. Like, a lot a lot. So much so that I'm not sure I can agree that's how it's going to go.

How else could it go? Teams aren't stupid, and JJ is both worse than Hunwick and signed to a longer deal. If we were to try and dump him right now, I'm pretty confident the price would be very high.

Maybe if the Pens ate a lot of salary on it, they could get away with dumping him without giving up premium assets. Eating salary just for the sake of getting rid of him might honestly make it worth it.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
This and the fact that this is happening suggests they're nowhere near where we are in terms of perception.

And I think it's not only the Penguins either, seeing how there were numerous teams in on Johnson last off-season. I think that the perception about Johnson is just way higher among NHL executives than among fans, which is why I'm not sure the Hunwick comparison works.

How else could it go? Teams aren't stupid, and JJ is both worse than Hunwick and signed to a longer deal. If we were to try and dump him right now, I'm pretty confident the price would be very high.

Maybe if the Pens ate a lot of salary on it, they could get away with dumping him without giving up premium assets. Eating salary just for the sake of getting rid of him might honestly make it worth it.

There's the flaw in your thinking, you're giving teams too much credit. You're assuming that teams agree with you on Johnson being worse than Hunwick, which seems to be a questionable assumption.

It's not like JR went senile when he gave Johnson that 5 year deal, Johnson got the 5 year deal because the perception of him as a player warranted it. Is it an accurate perception? God no, not a chance in hell. However, it doesn't have to be "accurate' to be real, I feel like GMs have shown that time and time again.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

Is the difference between Hunwick and Johnson the difference between getting slightly reduced value on a 3rd liner with a bit of upside left and having to hand over your 1st or a favourite prospect though? I'm willing to accept the idea that there's a difference, but *that* much difference?

pistolpete11

Apr 27, 2013
Much happier with spending the 2nd and a couple 4ths to try McCann/Bjugs for awhile vs Boyle for one run for sure.
To be fair, they spent more than a 2nd and 2 4ths, though. Just because Brass and Sheahan were viewed as having no or negative value to some around here doesn't mean they don't have value. Florida's not going to do that deal without also knowing they will be able to flip at least Brass.

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
Much happier with spending the 2nd and a couple 4ths to try McCann/Bjugs for awhile vs Boyle for one run for sure.

I like the deal as well, but Florida will get more in return once they trade Brass.

If Boyle can get a 2nd then what does Brass get? I would think it has to be worth more then Boyle.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
I didn't know if I was allowed to do that/if the mods would want that kind of thread, so I wanted to get an all-clear before making one.
Anyone who's active on our board can start a thread. We may merge it if the topic is already being discussed, or delete it if it violates site rules but you don't need permission to start one. If you're not sure, you can always DM one of us.

Reactions: Empoleon8771

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Think we can cross number ten off of the good young cheap list.

Wilson isn't anything special and I do not see any real upside to him. But for someone getting 10% zone starts, his numbers are pretty good. Add in a physical game, a 650k contract and us not hindering his development in any way if we scratch him for half the season, and he's a nice player to have as the 12/13/14F. He's basically Ruhwedel of the forward group. Which when you have a bunch of younger players vying for roster spots in the 10-12F range, he is a nice one to have kicking around.

Garrett Wilson is a good young cheap player?

Not so young at 27, but yes he's a nice depth guy to have on L4. You don't ever want him any higher then that, but he's a good cheap player for that line.

Last edited:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If JJ wasn't here, JR still loses out on Muzzin imo.
JR's bigger problem is Olli isn't the stud 2nd pairing anchor he was banking on and JS has been out for almost the whole season.

Maybe JR goes harder after Muzzin or other Dmen if Johnson wasn't here. We won't know, but it's a possibility. Maatta could be moved to 3rd pair with or MP if Johnson wasn't here.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Maybe JR goes harder after Muzzin or other Dmen if Johnson wasn't here. We won't know, but it's a possibility. Maatta could be moved to 3rd pair with MP if Johnson wasn't here.

Maata can still go to a 3rd pair with MP with JJ still here, tho.
I know he has a lock on a jersey right now but with JS back and if JJ continues to drag down everyone he plays with, he's not gonna keep giving him a jersey if a Riikola or MP is the #7.
It'd be different if just Ruh was #7.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Are you serious? That's not a big price. No idea why Nashville needs 8 million centers though.

I don't like paying 2nd round picks for guys like Boyle. It reminds me of when the Pens used to pay that kind of price for a Daniel Winnik. Those guys usually don't have any sort of impact on their new team.

Reactions: OGBobbyFarnham
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad