Status
Not open for further replies.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
RfKr9CA.png

6rqbYKi.jpg

From CapFriendly
AHL thread is here. Links to 2018 draft pick threads and QO information are in the first post.
Hagelin - Pearson trade thread is here.
Hagelin appreciation thread is here.
Sprong trade thread is here.
Guentzel signing thread is here.
DeSmith signing thread is here.
Grant for Blandisi trade thread is here
Oleksiak trade thread is here
Brassard/Sheahan+ for Bjugstad/McCann trade thread is here

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
Last one was all over the place, so I didn't copy any posts over. While today's trade is relevant to this thread, please try to keep the talk about in the dedicated thread here

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
So bringing the TL;DR from the last thread, the Penguins are totally trading Pearson this off-season with the acquisition of Bjugstad and McCann. They need the cap space since they'll have an expensive 3C (assuming Bjugstad sticks at center), and there's really no reason to keep Pearson when you have McCann who can do most of what Pearson can do for a fraction of the price.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
That cap space is tight to get Pettersson under contract, curious how the old fat man makes that work.

IF he moves JJ to do it in the off season, I will kiss that man on the mouth.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
That cap space is tight to get Pettersson under contract, curious how the old fat man makes that work.

This isn't a defense of Johnson, but I'd rather not move Johnson unless you're bringing back another defenseman who can play 19 minutes a night. I don't want to move Johnson because you need to clear cap space from acquiring 2 forwards, I'd want to move a forward. If I'm moving Johnson, I want to get a legit top-4 defenseman (or at least an Ian Cole caliber guy) and clear cap space another way.

Also, with this trade and JR's quotes about not wanting to trade the 1st, I think you can rule out the Penguins getting Ferland. I'm relieved with that thought, I want someone else to overpay for him. I want them to use Jarry as trade bait to see if you can get an upgrade somewhere else. I don't see many flaws on this roster if Schultz comes back healthy, but there are some things you can do.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This isn't a defense of Johnson, but I'd rather not move Johnson unless you're bringing back another defenseman who can play 19 minutes a night. I don't want to move Johnson because you need to clear cap space from acquiring 2 forwards, I'd want to move a forward. If I'm moving Johnson, I want to get a legit top-4 defenseman (or at least an Ian Cole caliber guy) and clear cap space another way.

Well in the off season, if he dumps JJ, we still have Dumoulin, Letang, Pettersson, Schultz, Maatta and hopefully Riikola is still kicking around.

We'd be fine.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I did this based on 83 mil and we are just over with 12F, 7D, 2G so someone will be moving on in the off season. Maybe to get back a first JR will eventually trade ;) I think the signings will be close to the AAV that I put.

Tom Hanks HF - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Well in the off season, if he dumps JJ, we still have Dumoulin, Letang, Pettersson, Schultz, Maatta and hopefully Riikola is still kicking around.

We'd be fine.

I am very not comfortable with going into next year with Riikola as my #6. If I'm trading Johnson, I'm not just going to replace him with Riikola. You're in deep **** with 1 injury if you trade Johnson and just replace him with Riikola. At minimum, I'd want a Lovejoy type of defenseman as my #7.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I am very not comfortable with going into next year with Riikola as my #6. If I'm trading Johnson, I'm not just going to replace him with Riikola. You're in deep **** with 1 injury if you trade Johnson and just replace him with Riikola. At minimum, I'd want a Lovejoy type of defenseman as my #7.

I'd rather dump JJ and sign Lovejoy to a 1yr 1m contract.

LET ME HAVE THIS.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011

I'm still dreaming of a Maatta-Montour swap. I'd like to move on from JJ, too, but I don't think it's going to happen this season. If we shed them both, we'd have a pretty nice D group.
Dumo-Letang
Riikola/Pettersson - Montour
Riikola/Pettersson - Schultz

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'm still dreaming of a Maatta-Montour swap. I'd like to move on from JJ, too, but I don't think it's going to happen this season. If we shed them both, we'd have a pretty nice D group.
Dumo-Letang

Maatta for Montour or Manson would excite me in ways a trade shouldn't excite someone.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I'd rather dump JJ and sign Lovejoy to a 1yr 1m contract.

LET ME HAVE THIS.

I might rather have that too, but I'd rather shoot for higher than Lovejoy :laugh:

Question that might ruffle some feathers, would you trade Johnson and sign Hainsey to a 1 year deal to be the bottom pair RD? You know Hainsey can eat minutes and can step into a top-4 role if you need him to. You get the safety of signing him to short term contracts instead of having Johnson for 4 more years.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Pulled the above over from the trade thread as I think it fits better here.

He's not your normal RFA, though.

And play does dictate. He could easily command a 1.0 to 1.5 to keep him on this side of the pond. Pettersson will get a bit more than that. Say 2.0/2.5.

So it really doesn't seem all that hard to see where it isn't all that easy. Like I said, the playoffs will impact that as well. It could get a little bit higher if they have huge playoffs.

But these are good problems to have.

Both of these are way out of wack. Riikola can't command 1-1.5m because he's a RFA and if he goes back to Europe he won't make more than 100k. Here he'll get somewhere between 800k and 1m - and it's probably closer to 800k.

Same (although for different reasons) applies to Pettersson. He's an RFA. He's not getting 2.5m unless he's signing a deal that has 3 or 4 years of term attached to it. Go use CF and see what young D who are not putting up numbers are getting on a 2 yr contract. There's not many who are getting anything substantial. Personally I'll be surprised if he gets more than 1.7m - and even that is probably quite high. It honestly wouldn't surprise me if he got a lot less than 1.5m.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
So bringing the TL;DR from the last thread, the Penguins are totally trading Pearson this off-season with the acquisition of Bjugstad and McCann. They need the cap space since they'll have an expensive 3C (assuming Bjugstad sticks at center), and there's really no reason to keep Pearson when you have McCann who can do most of what Pearson can do for a fraction of the price.

Pearson plays a grittier game then McCaan does (at least from the stats and from what I've read). Not sure how happy they'll be to lose that. On the flip size ZAR should be continuing to develop and will cost a fraction of what Pearson will cost... so maybe. But somehow they're going to need to free up around 2-3m this summer.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Bjugstad definitely isn’t untalented. I think he’s probably a better winger regardless of what he prefers to play though.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Dumo-Letang

The old man already tried to swing that. While they liked Maatta it’s not something they wanted to do.

Reactions: DegenX

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pearson plays a grittier game then McCaan does (at least from the stats and from what I've read). Not sure how happy they'll be to lose that. On the flip size ZAR should be continuing to develop and will cost a fraction of what Pearson will cost... so maybe. But somehow they're going to need to free up around 2-3m this summer.

Yeah, hence why I said "most". I think you can replace what Pearson brings by committee with Pearson and McCann, and the results between the two would obviously be better than just Pearson alone. Between both ZAR and McCann, I don't see anything that Pearson provides that the duo doesn't.

This forward group looks fantastic to me personally, and you'll have around $2 million to add a good 4th liner too:

Guentzel-Crosby-Simon
Rust-Malkin-Kessel
McCann-Bjugstad-Hornqvist
ZAR-Blueger-XXXXX

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
The assumption that Bjugstad will be the C and not McCann, leaving us very lopsided in RH wings to LH even before moving Pearson, may prove quite unfounded going by Rutherford's quotes.

I might rather have that too, but I'd rather shoot for higher than Lovejoy :laugh:

Question that might ruffle some feathers, would you trade Johnson and sign Hainsey to a 1 year deal to be the bottom pair RD? You know Hainsey can eat minutes and can step into a top-4 role if you need him to. You get the safety of signing him to short term contracts instead of having Johnson for 4 more years.

For the same cap hit? Absolutely.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

3 mil you say? I know just the guy.

Reactions: Riptide

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
The assumption that Bjugstad will be the C and not McCann, leaving us very lopsided in RH wings to LH even before moving Pearson, may prove quite unfounded going by Rutherford's quotes.

They'll still have Guentzel, Simon, McCann and ZAR as LH wingers, and Kessel, Rust and Hornqvist as RH wingers. If McCann is the center and Bjugstad is the winger, then they may be a little short on LH wingers.

For the same cap hit? Absolutely.

I actually think it would be a slightly smaller cap hit, although not by a ridiculous amount. I can't see it being less than say $2.5 million a year.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
JR is definitely trading that first. Dude sounded like he got up on the podium two minutes after binge reading the Art of the Deal. Ferland or a Dman?

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
They'll still have Guentzel, Simon, McCann and ZAR as LH wingers, and Kessel, Rust and Hornqvist as RH wingers. If McCann is the center and Bjugstad is the winger, then they may be a little short on LH wingers.

Revisit in 20 games, but I'm guessing McCann as the centre is at least just as likely. Also Simon, while a LH winger, is by far and away best deployed as a RW with Crosby.

I actually think it would be a slightly smaller cap hit, although not by a ridiculous amount. I can't see it being less than say $2.5 million a year.

Even better. This is of course about as likely as me becoming Scarlett Johansson's toyboy.

Reactions: Empoleon8771
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad