Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building | Cap Details + Links in First Post | The JR Did What ?!?!?! Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
Soooo yeah, who at lw is replacing Pearson now?
Least of my concerns. ZAR, Simon and Bleuger are all available for that spot. It's been ZAR lately and at least Geno has looked better on that line.

Guentzel Crosby Rust
ZAR Malkin Kessel
McCann Bugsy Hornqvist
Bleuger Cullen Simon
Wilson

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think it's shut. You just don't win with a blueline that employs Jack Johnson and Erik Gudbranson. I don't care if you have Dumoulin and Letang as your top pair, or if you have guys like Sid, Geno, Jake, Hornqvist, Rust, Bjugstad and McCann in your top-9. That combination of JJ and Gudbranson is going to be too much to overcome for a couple of aging megastars and a forward corps that's got its own laundry list of issues.

I'm also not as enamored of that mix up front as some others may be, but I digress . . .

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Can we go back to July of 2017 and just re-sign Bones and Daley and forget all this happened?

Or hell, let's just go back to when Hagelin and Big Rig were here. I'll even take that.

Yeah. JR tried to outthink what got him where he was at that point. Went a half season playing with two centers in 17-18 and had a tired and beat up Geno in the playoffs due to it. Never replaced Bones, to this day. And Daley with one good leg is better than half our defense.

I don't think anything Shero did pissed me off as much as where we're at right now.

We need a shrewd GM to get one more Cup from this team and it ain't coming this year or next. Gotta hope for one before rumors about 71 heading back to Russia come out.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
After these moves I expect a deal coming down the pike in the summer of Lucic and Kassian for Guentzel....
If you win with speed, and the whole league follows suit, maybe going back to size and grit is the way to go. Maybe. But this is way too much of a retool to undertake with the core we have and the years Sid and Geno have left. Not to mention it's not the right coach to do it.

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
What the hell is going on? I can't even type out how any of this makes sense. How is there anyone in the Pens org that thought trading for Gudbranson on this defense was even a moderately decent idea?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Yeah. JR tried to outthink what got him where he was at that point. Went a half season playing with two centers in 17-18 and had a tired and beat up Geno in the playoffs due to it. Never replaced Bones, to this day. And Daley with one good leg is better than half our defense.

I don't think anything Shero did pissed me off as much as where we're at right now.

We need a shrewd GM to get one more Cup from this team and it ain't coming this year or next. Gotta hope for one before rumors about 71 heading back to Russia come out.

Hard to imagine, but yeah, I think I feel similarly . . .

Reactions: Big Friggin Dummy

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
I'm also not as enamored of that mix up front as some others may be, but I digress . . .

Maybe I'm just in a negative mood with the trades today but Bjugstad is big and soff and I haven't been too impressed.

Mccann tries hard but doesn't seem capable of carrying a line. I'm not terribly thrilled with either player to be honest.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

DesertPenguin

Apr 22, 2015
I want to hear this press conference. Really really need to hear him say what the reasoning is here.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maybe I'm just in a negative mood with the trades today but Bjugstad is big and soff and I haven't been too impressed.

Mccann tries hard but doesn't seem capable of carrying a line. I'm not terribly thrilled with either player to be honest.

Actually, we're in the same place. :cry:

Reactions: Pancakes

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Fire JR. we're sitting a good young Dman for overpaid veteran trash.

HE WANTED TO TRADE FOR GUDBRANSON FOR A WHILE!!

That mindset is scary. Todays game is about speed and skill.

WHY IS IT SO HARD FOR THESE OLD PEOPLE TO GRASP?!?! They're supposed to be the "experts"

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010

Well at least we got the guy the Canucks traded McCann for too!

Reactions: Pancakes

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Hard to imagine, but yeah, I think I feel similarly . . .

In 2012 I was a little pissed he didn't go for it at the deadline. In 2013, he went overboard but that was only partially on him and partially on DB's management of the roster. 2014, we had spent a ton of futures and the window was shut.

JR trading Neal for PH, getting Kessel and allowing a youth movement up front got us two Cups. And it's been downhill from there.

Shero would have done nothing this deadline and we'd be better off for it. And I'd trust him a lot more to get value for Kessel to acquire assets that'll help in 2-3 years.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I think we're two top-6 wingers away from a stellar top-9, to be fair.

Jake - Sid - Winger Dude 1
Winger Dude 2 - Malkin - Rust
McCann - Bjugstad - Hornqvist

Lustaf

Nov 26, 2008
Victoria, BC
We now have anchors all over the roster who are locked up for YEARS limiting us to next to no wiggle room.

I'll be rooting for Torts and Columbus in the playoffs, they went for it .

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Can someone explain to me how this team can afford the D next season?

Pittsburgh needed to shed 2-3m this summer as things were. With this deal that doesn't change... the difference is that before we weren't entirely sure where that money was coming from... now we know. Unfortunately we all knew that Pearson wasn't "untradeable". JJ/Gudbranson might be.

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
I haven't been supremely high on this team since the 2nd of the back to backs. I think we got carried by some elite offensive firepower and timely goaltending, and it covered up a ton of issues. That being said, the work JR has done since that 2nd of back to backs, I genuinely wonder how many years he has put this team behind now. He's got a good number of issues to start with, and he goes out and signs JJ to a 5-year deal, then trades for Gudbranson? Honestly, what is even going on? :laugh: I'm sincere in asking, what is the plan here? Is he that arrogant and stubborn?

Worrisome, to say the least. Silver lining though, hopefully our scouting/drafting/development guys are ready to get to work, because I think we're going to have some pretty good prospects to pick from in the next couple of drafts.

Well I would not trust this management group to do it...
That is entirely fair to say now. Sadly.

Reactions: pensfan71

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
We're now officially the LA Kings, all because of incompetent GMing who got so scared of Tom Wilson he wrecked his whole speed identity to get meatheads on hihs team. Lol. Wooow

Yep. I think that might be the source of it all. Even while winning a freaking Cup, they had to address an issue that obviously didn't prevent them from WINNING A FREAKING CUP.

I hope Wilson just does us a favor and clowns both JJ and Gudbranson with one punch.

Reactions: PensandCaps
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad