Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Sassy GM Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
They want him up there so...

Can’t skate. No hands. Can’t win board battles.

Malkin’s dream winger.

Geno looks at lineup. LW Aston-Reese, RW Hornqvist.

Geno adopts new pregame ritual.

tenor.gif

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Hagelin scored 16 goals in his first 61 games as a Penguin including playoffs. He scored 21 in his last 172 including the playoffs.

He put a lot of mileage into that 2016 run.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Pearson hasn't scored a goal in his last 30 games? I didn't know that he's in this much of a slump.

No short end of the stick there tho, heh.

There is no short end here, just organizational stupidity.

Crosby is hurt and ZAR was forced on Crosby last season... so Malkin gets him by default.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
There is no short end here, just organizational stupidity.

Crosby is hurt and ZAR was forced on Crosby last season... so Malkin gets him by default.
do we think Malkin is getting ZAR, or do we think ZAR is filling in until Pearson is here? I mean, Recchi isn't about to suit up at center. Cullen was never going to play wing with Malkin despite practicing there.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Gonna repeat what @Ogrezilla said. I think Rust is the next guy to go. Another Cup-winner who is underperforming.

If hurts because he’s exactly the kind of guy you want in your middle six but this is his 4th season now. 2018 might have been his Tyler Kennedy 20 goal Season. It might be better to move on while the Cups are still fresh in another GM’s mind.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Gonna repeat what @Ogrezilla said. I think Rust is the next guy to go. Another Cup-winner who is underperforming.

Rutherford does keep pointing at young guys who won immediately and became complacent. He also took a shot at the guys who got big contracts and "forgot what got them into the NHL". Maybe Rust is the next domino to fall, that would be a very significant move from JR. I think that would be the biggest piece he has given up off the Penguins roster in-season.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
If hurts because he’s exactly the kind of guy you want in your middle six but this is his 4th season now. 2018 might have been his Tyler Kennedy 20 goal Season. It might be better to move on while the Cups are still fresh in another GM’s mind.
Rutherford does keep pointing at young guys who won immediately and became complacent. He also took a shot at the guys who got big contracts and "forgot what got them into the NHL". Maybe Rust is the next domino to fall, that would be a very significant move from JR. I think that would be the biggest piece he has given up off the Penguins roster in-season.
Yeah those comments combined with the comments that Sprong hasn't been put in positions to score goals make me think it's at least possible we move Rust ahead of Sprong if Rust doesn't get his shit together.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
do we think Malkin is getting ZAR, or do we think ZAR is filling in until Pearson is here? I mean, Recchi isn't about to suit up at center. Cullen was never going to play wing with Malkin despite practicing there.

I heard Madden say he hopes Crosby isn’t out a couple weeks... haven’t had time to read much news today, so if he’s out for several games, I’m just making the assumption ZAR will magically find his way up in that timeframe because grit and truculent intentions.

Reactions: KIRK

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah those comments combined with the comments that Sprong hasn't been put in positions to score goals make me think it's at least possible we move Rust ahead of Sprong if Rust doesn't get his **** together.

In Rutherford's comments from about a week ago, I thought 4 players were put on the hot seat from what he was saying: Rust, Sheahan, Hagelin and Guentzel. A week later, 1 of them is already gone. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 more are moved.

Someone else brought up a good point a couple of days ago as well. Rutherford may not call the shots about who is playing where, but he can call the shots about who is on the team. Remember all of those Kessel rumors in the off-season? Who ended up getting traded for cap space? Sheary, who was one of Sullivan's favorites.

My point is that if it's going to come to a clash of who JR likes vs who Sullivan likes, JR is going to win. I feel like the "Sprong is being traded" rumors are coming from the same people who made the "Kessel is being traded" rumors, and I feel like that side isn't the one that's calling the shots on the trades if you get what I'm implying.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I heard Madden say he hopes Crosby isn’t out a couple weeks... haven’t had time to read much news today, so if he’s out for several games, I’m just making the assumption ZAR will magically find his way up in that timeframe because grit and truculent intentions.

It would give the team a chance to embrace and work on a more defensive posture like the one they took on the Canada trip.

EDIT: Oh who the **** am I kidding? Sully would rather lose his way than adapt to win.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Sullivan has a fundamental problem with players who can't do "bottom 6 things" moving up. It's a prerequisite, like "this guy's putting in work, so he should be rewarded" and conversely "that guy can't/won't do the thankless jobs, so I'm not going to set a bad example and give him something he hasn't earned".

Fit and effectiveness are beside the point.

Reactions: EightyOne and KIRK

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
This is the second time Friedman has thrown out the Penguins-Ducks talk, this seems more concrete than the last time he mentioned it. Something else to mention with the Ducks talk: Friedman says the "rumored names were not involved in the trade". That seems pretty clear to me that they're talking about Sprong and/or Rust, no?

Yeah I think it has to be. Sportsnet ran an story on the 4 guys that the Pens could move and they were Sprong, Hagelin, Guentzel, and Rust. I think Friedman was directly referencing that article. Hags is gone and I can’t see a Guentzel deal happening.

Maybe Rutherford wants to do a 1 for 1 again with Murray, but both sides are pretty limited by the cap. Narrows it down to Silfverberg and Cogliano. Kinda lukewarm on Silf, would not love Cogliano.

Sprong could work but for who? Ritchie isn’t a reasonable ask, definite no on Comtois, maybe Larsson, Jones, Petersson, or Fiore? I mean idk.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
DAL RD intrigue me a bit. Carrick, Johns, Honka.
ATM they have Klingberg, Johns and Carrick out with injury tho...
But once they come back, they got too many D...

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah I think it has to be. Sportsnet ran an story on the 4 guys that the Pens could move and they were Sprong, Hagelin, Guentzel, and Rust. I think Friedman was directly referencing that article. Hags is gone and I can’t see a Guentzel deal happening.

Maybe Rutherford wants to do a 1 for 1 again with Murray, but both sides are pretty limited by the cap. Narrows it down to Silfverberg and Cogliano. Kinda lukewarm on Silf, would not love Cogliano.

Sprong could work but for who? Ritchie isn’t a reasonable ask, definite no on Comtois, maybe Larsson, Jones, Petersson, or Fiore? I mean idk.

I still have my doubts that Rust gets traded, I could see him being a trade candidate, but I won't believe JR will actually do it until he actually does it. I don't think there's any reason to expect Sprong to not get traded, to be honest. He won't be a guy that gets moved because the team is struggling, that's what guys like Hagelin will be moved for. He will be moved because the Penguins will be swapping him for another "change of scenery" player. I'm 100% expecting them to trade Sprong for someone like Zykov, which probably wouldn't even be a bad move.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
But if you take the sports car, hook a plow to it and run it like a tractor. It *might* work but most likely not well.

Let's spin this another way. Do YOU think that a player like Sprong who is a sniper, who has always logged top line minutes and has been a leading scorer in every league he has played prior to the NHL. Do you think that his skill set lends itself to only 9 minutes a game lugging along Cullen / Grant?

He actually showed some life with Simon, and that one shift with Geno was instant chemistry. It's almost like non grinder skilled players play better with skilled players? *gasp* Put the sports car on a race track not out in the field pulling a plow!

Players like ZAR or Simon are grinders, that's not a knock on them, Sid is the ultimate grinder. But when they get placed in a 4th line role they are very suited to that role it's how they play the game always.
I do not understand why some here don't get it. Sprong has *never* played or probably even been taught how to play the way Sullivan wants him to play. Throw in that Cullen was mostly really slow and bad with Sprong and add in a plug like Grant and what do you expect?

Im not asking a sports car to plow a field im asking it not leak gas all iver the place and shoot oil out the muffler.

Jesus, nobody is asking him to set the world on fire just asking him to do the very basic things that even scrubs can do. Like you know read the play, be in the right spot. Good god if he had half the know how his talent would take him the rest of the way.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

Hopefully a dman because forwards are not the primary issue.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
We have a whole lot of forwards with 1 or less goals in 16 games.

It’s a problem but if you can help get those forwards out of their zone they’ll have a better chance to score. You can also call up some WBS guys before you start paying assets for different forwards.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Oh really. Does that happen with everyone?

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

Not with the coach's favourite Crosby RW this year, apparently.

Well then it's clear he's meeting that standard. As I showed earlier, he's producing better with the minutes he's gotten than literally every other player in the league.

If the coach is making it "his job" to start in the d-zone 60% of the time for his 9 minutes game with pluggers and outperform grunts, then the coach is distributing his jobs poorly. You don't put Horny on the point and complain when he's not a great PPQB. You don't put Kessel in front of the net and complain when he's a bad net front presence. And you don't bury Sprong on the 4th and complain when he's not grinding *****es down.

Well except NOBODY is doing that Captain Strawman. Expecting Sprong to literally know how to be in the correct position and or how to read the play in the offensive zone.

Nobodys is arguing the talent, he literally has been producing point despite playing like total ass.

Nobody is expecting him to carry a line or grind anyone down (the 4th line strawman falacy). Their expecting him to literally be competent at being in the right place. Not exactly putting up a high bar for him to clear AND ZERO to do with his linemates.

Reactions: Riptide

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
In Rutherford's comments from about a week ago, I thought 4 players were put on the hot seat from what he was saying: Rust, Sheahan, Hagelin and Guentzel. A week later, 1 of them is already gone. I wouldn't be surprised if at least 2 more are moved.

I don't see two more being moved. They would be stupid to move Guentzel right now with his cost control, so I don't see him going anywhere. If Crosby is out and Brassard is still out Sheahan is your second line center, so unless they go for a center he isn't getting moved either. And I don't know how you move Rust either after moving Hagelin. You would lose all your speed and your two best penalty killers.

I think it was either Hagelin or Rust being moved not both. And I could see Sheahan getting moved but not until Brassard and Crosby are back.

And them calling up Grant and Wilson at the same time means they don't see any internal replacements in WBS right now for anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad