Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Sassy GM Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think this group is just stale, honestly. And I don't think the mix or chemistry (particularly on the scoring lines) was ever that great of shakes to begin with.

Eh. Lotta games left, I know.

Reactions: KIRK and NJPensFan5

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
I’ll be really surprised if they move Rust this soon because Sully loves him...I could see it if he’s still struggling at the end of the year but it’s too soon imo to move a regular player....that why I think all of the JR’s comments are just bloviating....he’s frustrated...plus, if the coach wants a fast team you’re not going to move out one of the fastest players unless you get another fast player back in here...

If anyone moves it’s Sprong imo and it’s solely because the coach hates him and is not being done to send a message to anyone or change the makeup of the team because it wouldn’t do anything

but if Sully isn't part of the picture anymore......does Rust stay....hmmmmmm :DD

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
I'm guessing it'll be Maatta and Sprong in a package deal. Obviously not everything is going to be told to the media. We've been here long enough now to know that.

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
And that trouble is the minor 8 minute player and some time scratch Daniel Sprong?...give me a ****ing break...
Daniel Sprong is terrible. Just stop. He hasn’t earned anything and you are just infatuated with prospects.

Reactions: Trade

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Daniel Sprong is terrible. Just stop. He hasn’t earned anything and you are just infatuated with prospects.

Or maybe, here's another crazy thought, Sprong tore apart the AHL last year and is still only 21, and since he has to be in the NHL, it makes sense to put him in a position to succeed. That makes a lot more sense than calling a 21 year old winger prospect who tore apart the AHL last year "terrible".

Reactions: Son Goku

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Yeah, if that's what they want from him, may as well trade him.

If Sprong has a career, it's going to be because he can use his speed to get open and his shot to beat goaltenders. Now, he's not doing either of those things, but if the expectation is he has to morph into a young Kunitz as a prerequisite to see an ice time increase (which I'm not even saying he merits), that's a thing that's just never going to happen.

That's just it - he's not doing either of those things. Nor is he doing anything else to help the team when he's not doing those things. You don't get it both ways. If you're going to be a one dimensional scorer, you need to at least show some sort of promise there. Or you need to do something else to help the team... and he's not doing either.

I don't expect him to become Kunitz... but he shouldn't be getting drastically out played by Simon or even Guentzel along the boards or on the forecheck. Because from what we've seen so far, he doesn't have the speed or the skill to overcome his lack of everything else.
Instead, he finds a young stud, oozing with talent, talent his sorry butt never had, and he takes out all of his pettiness on the kid. Jake escapes abuse why you may ask?? Coaches kid, understands how to placate meathead coaches.

A) how much talent Sprong has is rather debateable. He's skilled... but how skilled? What's apparent is that he doesn't quite appear skilled enough to make up for the fact that he's severely lacking in many other area's.
B) Guentzel escapes abuse because he produces. For as bad as he's been this season, he's still on pace for 25g/50pts+.

That's your dream, I want Sprong to play for 25 games with Sid or Geno. Preference Geno at LW>

Sprong can LW. Sully not suggesting he can is one more way to justify blocking him from the lineup. This is why Sully NEVER talks about him at LW. He wants him gone and probably will get his wish. JR can't do much other than give in or fire Sully. And he's not firing Sully this year.

And what has Sprong done to deserve this gift? I mean it's not like Rust or Simon had set the bar all that high... and yet he still couldn't surpass it.

Sheary was scoring at a lower pace than Sprong is, and I'm noticing Sprong pretty regularly out there.

The key difference being that Sheary was actually scoring. I know rough concept when talking about someone who's suppose to be a goal scorer.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I'm guessing it'll be Maatta and Sprong in a package deal. Obviously not everything is going to be told to the media. We've been here long enough now to know that.

That’s the best starting point if JR can bring in a better fit at forward. Probably have to try for a D man but doesn’t have to be in that deal. Would prefer a RHD who could start on the bottom pair more of a DFD too.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
Sprong is a worse version of Yakupov. Enters the zone like he's going to make a big play and then stickhandles himself into the corner under pressure. He has one plan and if that fails, he throws a long shot at the goalie or pulls up too slowly to make a play.

Everyone calls him a good shooter, but his release is really slow. It doesn't matter how quick it comes off if the shot is telegraphed to the goalie. He has no patience either to wait for screens and doesn't know how to create space or open up lanes.

The worst part of his game is his lack of puck support. He doesn't support the puck carrier in giving them options or give and go plays. Kunitz was elite at it, Simon is also great at it. Not a coincidence that Crosby likes them both.

Sprong just seems like a complementary player that needs to be leashed around by his center.

Reactions: Trade

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
JR's rant points at Guentzel, Rust and Brassard. And we ain't moving Guentzel because he's still cheap.

Rust isn't cheap anymore. Brassard is likely gone in a year and hasn't been a fit at 3C. So much so that he's making it obvious to reporters he'd much rather play out of position with Sid.

Reactions: KIRK and EightyOne

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Maatta and Johnson together make as much as Letang. This team sure as shit could use another Letang.

Maatta
Johnson
Hagelin
Rust

Make a combined 14.75 mil. I’m not saying trade all of them, but that’s a lot of money for guys who don’t move the needle much offensively and in the D’s case, hurt the team often. That’s two Letangs.

Coastal Kev

There will be "I told you so's" Bet on it
Feb 16, 2013
The Low Country, SC
Sprong is a worse version of Yakupov. Enters the zone like he's going to make a big play and then stickhandles himself into the corner under pressure. He has one plan and if that fails, he throws a long shot at the goalie or pulls up too slowly to make a play.

Everyone calls him a good shooter, but his release is really slow. It doesn't matter how quick it comes off if the shot is telegraphed to the goalie. He has no patience either to wait for screens and doesn't know how to create space or open up lanes.

The worst part of his game is his lack of puck support. He doesn't support the puck carrier in giving them options or give and go plays. Kunitz was elite at it, Simon is also great at it. Not a coincidence that Crosby likes them both.

Sprong just seems like a complementary player that needs to be leashed around by his center.

Yikes

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
JR's rant points at Guentzel, Rust and Brassard. And we ain't moving Guentzel because he's still cheap.

Rust isn't cheap anymore. Brassard is likely gone in a year and hasn't been a fit at 3C. So much so that he's making it obvious to reporters he'd much rather play out of position with Sid.

Brassard hasn’t played a game of this losing streak, so unless he thinks he’s injured because he’s complacent I don’t see how he applies.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I know we've blown through a few pages recently... especially since my road trip... but there's a few posts I think need responses for..

@Peat regarding your post (I'm really drunk as I write this so if it doesn't make sense I blame @Honour Over Glory :)

Re this post HERE Regarding our game vs Ottawa in 2017. Honestly if we're looking at how we played vs Ottawa in 2017, I think Ottawa beat themselves in 2017. I don't think we played all that different then. Sure they beat us in the first few games, but I think they changed their game after that.

They however played very different in each of their games. If we're being honest, I think they beat themselves then. They got up 2-1 (or whaetever) and drastically changed their game, and then at the end of the day, we beat them at the game they were playing. Yes they sucked (overall) at the end of the day, but at the game they were playing, they probably would have won if they hadn't changed things to suite our style.

Burn

Mar 24, 2018
This team looks so confused and unprepared that I'm okay with a gut reno. Literally everyone can go but... Crosby Malkin Guentzel Letang Dumo Schultz and Murray. That's including this coaching staff.

I would love to see a move away from chip and chase role player hockey to something with some skill. Possession or east west plays... Vigneault would be a perfect fit and maybe his defensive coach can be Therrien.

Reactions: Son Goku

Son Goku

henlo u stinky egg
Mar 8, 2014
The World Of Void
Wish we had a good possession player like Oshie here. Love the way he skates and passes. Man if we could run a system like caps had last season with our talent we'd be unstoppable.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Wish we had a good possession player like Oshie here. Love the way he skates and passes. Man if we could run a system like caps had last season with our talent we'd be unstoppable.
You mean like our system but evolved with some more fresh blood?

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
This team looks so confused and unprepared that I'm okay with a gut reno. Literally everyone can go but... Crosby Malkin Guentzel Letang Dumo Schultz and Murray. That's including this coaching staff.

I would love to see a move away from chip and chase role player hockey to something with some skill. Possession or east west plays... Vigneault would be a perfect fit and maybe his defensive coach can be Therrien.

People like you have no idea what you’re asking for.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018

They already were unstoppable until Malkin, Hagelin, Brassard and Kessel all got hurt.

Reactions: Tom Hanks and Peat

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Re the idea they wouldn't trade Rust because Sully loves him...

... have you guys seem where all the Sully 'favourites' play this season?

It doesn't matter who likes you in this org, under Rutherford the leash for underperformers doesn't extend more than a season and often goes a lot less than that. Rutherford's not going to sit by and watch the chance for his 4th Stanley Cup sail by because Sully likes a kid.

Hell, its not even all performance. Rust was part of rumoured trade offers last Summer. This team can trade a RW or two and remain just as strong most days there while getting stronger elsewhere. Getting paid has put Rust in a precarious position there that's been made worse by Simon looking like Sid's best RW. But if he's gonna underperform as well?

Re @BlindWillyMcHurt - Geno/Horny is a bad example because the stats sheet shows they'd been successful before then in 16/17 - just one of those combos that looked so ugly nobody remembered it.

But I get your skepticism about Johnson.

Re this post HERE Regarding our game vs Ottawa in 2017. Honestly if we're looking at how we played vs Ottawa in 2017, I think Ottawa beat themselves in 2017. I don't think we played all that different then. Sure they beat us in the first few games, but I think they changed their game after that.

You may be right about Ottawa, I didn't focus heavily on them, but I definitely saw a change in our own play.

And Re What Does Trading Sprong fix...

It fixes have a depreciating asset that the org is convinced won't help this season. That's all. Its not much, its not fixing the big stuff, but if that's their opinion then its better to do it than not. I think everyone can agree with that, even if they disagree with the org's assessment of the situation in the first place.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

You take apart some of the team if they repeat last season again and they're well on their path to.

But no to Vigneault.
No to Therrien.
Murray should never be as safe as those guys at this point imo.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd like to get Virtanen and Tanev from the canucks for a package of Maatta and Sprong and likely a pick and another prospect.

I think Virtanen slots better with Sid and Jake and Tanev adds the def dman on the right side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad