Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | GM Working the Phones Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
But on a team that is bleeding goals against, Maatta is a godsend compared to most of their other defensemen.

You've just made the Cullen over Sprong type argument.

As I said, the mix up front, the mix on defense, and the system are incongruous. Absent congruity, every choice involves an unwinnable trade off. I suppose in the end this is why the Pens are in a death spiral.

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
You've just made the Cullen over Sprong type argument.

As I said, the mix up front, the mix on defense, and the system are incongruous. Absent congruity, every choice involves an unwinnable trade off. I suppose in the end this is why the Pens are in a death spiral.

But Sprong isn't scoring and Cullen isn't helping with their team defense, plus the jobs of the forwards is more to score goals than it is to prevent them. Maatta also does have puck moving talent, he just can't skate. I agree with you that they can't have all of Johnson, Oleksiak and Maatta on the team, but I think you can get by with 2. You just need to get a strong puck moving DFD for the bottom pair, someone like Pysyk.

This isn't a "pawn all of our bad defensemen on Letang" comment, but put Maatta with Letang for a couple games and see how it looks. Maatta has had success there in the past, and maybe his gypsy magic of not getting scored on sticks with him on a pair with Letang. I'm actually not sure why they haven't tried that yet.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
True.

Are you saying Maatta for Silfverberg straight up?

Or are you saying the Ducks should love what @SEALBound suggested?

Or are you saying that Silfverberg will cost less than a 1st or 2nd/decent prospect or good prospect type of return?

Maatta straight up.

Then Rust for a 4/5 D who fits our style.

Jules Winnfield

Fleurymanbad
Mar 19, 2010
Just wondering who you guys think fits a “prime Kunitz” currently in the NHL?

I’d like a prime Darius Kasparaitis, Kevin Stevens, and Paul Coffey for the Pens but I’m having a hard time identifying people really with those skills and if they are in that realm they will cost an arm and leg.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
But Sprong isn't scoring and Cullen isn't helping with their team defense, plus the jobs of the forwards is more to score goals than it is to prevent them. Maatta also does have puck moving talent, he just can't skate.

This isn't a "pawn all of our bad defensemen on Letang" comment, but put Maatta with Letang for a couple games and see how it looks. Maatta has had success there in the past, and maybe his gypsy magic of not getting scored on sticks with him on a pair with Letang. I'm actually not sure why they haven't tried that yet.

To think that we've reached the point where Letang has become the team's default #1 babysitter. :laugh:

Joke aside, I get what you're saying, but I look at JMFJ, Maatta, and Oleksiak and see dogs with different fleas. I mean, one could fairly argue that Maatta's GA per 60 does have something to do with his being protected.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Maatta-Letang
Dumoulin-Schultz (have Riikola play here until Schultz is healthy)
Johnson-Pysyk
Ruhwedel

Honesty, I wouldn't be concerned with this defense. It's super expensive because Pysyk makes like $2.75 million a year, but I wouldn't be worried about it. You just need to get rid of Oleksiak and bring in a guy like Pysyk, which is easier said than done.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
But Sprong isn't scoring and Cullen isn't helping with their team defense, plus the jobs of the forwards is more to score goals than it is to prevent them. Maatta also does have puck moving talent, he just can't skate.

*cough* the guy who hasn't been scored on 5v5 in the last 5 games - only one to play all five of whom that is true - is probably doing something to help there by the same logic you're using for Maatta.

I’d like a prime Darius Kasparaitis, Kevin Stevens, and Paul Coffey for the Pens but I’m having a hard time identifying people really with those skills and if they are in that realm they will cost an arm and leg.

We chatted about this in the Summer and I think it was broadly agreed that there wasn't really anyone... and I think Pearson was closer than most (although obviously minus the standout physicality)

To think that we've reached the point where Letang has become the team's default #1 babysitter. :laugh:

Joke aside, I get what you're saying, but I look at JMFJ, Maatta, and Oleksiak and see dogs with different fleas. I mean, one could fairly argue that Maatta's GA per 60 does have something to do with his being protected.

Maatta's usually been drawing the second hardest defensive assignments. Granted, after Letang's taken all the hardest minutes its not that terrifying, but he's not all that protected.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Maatta straight up.

Then Rust for a 4/5 D who fits our style.

So, you're basically saying the @SEALBound deal, as he's suggesting doing both in 1 deal?

FYI, I think Maatta would be no big loss, and I'd love to have Silfverberg. I'd do it with or without the Rust move.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
JJ and Oleksiak have little value if any. Maatta has pedigree, cost certainty and a recent history of being a top 4 D on a championship team. He'll net you something worthwhile, while changing up our mix on defense.

Reactions: Shady Machine

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
J-Bomb echoing the same internal options some of us want in his latest article tonight:

C’mon JR....

tumblr_ny4j5ihfmC1qe6vjyo1_400.gif

Reactions: Honour Over Glory

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012

Stop thinking "prime" of anything we had and start thinking "what we need to keep moving forward" and it'll be easier.

We don't need prime of anything we had because those guys don't work in today's NHL anymore.

Kasparaitis would be suspended every other game.
Kunitz running through people would be suspended or put us in a box all the time.
Stevens - maybe.
Coffey - We wish, hell why not give Prow a chance, not even the same, but Prow handles the puck with confidence and we need that.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
*cough* the guy who hasn't been scored on 5v5 in the last 5 games - only one to play all five of whom that is true - is probably doing something to help there by the same logic you're using for Maatta.

Maatta's sample size of not being scored on is over 350 games worth of him not being scored on. I'm guessing you're talking about Cullen, but Cullen was on the ice for 10 goals against in his first 13 games on the year. If you want to go that route, you should be talking about Grant, not Cullen.

Maatta has been playing top-4 minutes every year of his career, it's not him being sheltered. It's also such a huge sample size that I don't think you can just easily dismiss it based on something like that.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
JJ and Oleksiak have little value if any. Maatta has pedigree, cost certainty and a recent history of being a top 4 D on a championship team. He'll net you something worthwhile, while changing up our mix on defense.

I agree with Maatta is worth more than JJ or Oleksiak, but I'm not sure HOW worthwhile the return will be for him from any team that watches game tape.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
So, you're basically saying the @SEALBound deal, as he's suggesting doing both in 1 deal?

FYI, I think Maatta would be no big loss, and I'd love to have Silfverberg. I'd do it with or without the Rust move.

Silfverberg seems like a RW to me so it'd be smart to take Rust away from Sullivan and fill a need on defense before it's doomed from the start.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

Trading one of your more effective guys on defense because he seems more valuable seems pretty foolish to me, especially when your defense is ass at not getting scored on.

Speculation: - A Ryan Miller trade could possibly be in the works

Hm, I wonder if this may be the shake up trade that Friedman was talking about. Miller is a guy you can easily run with as a starter if Murray continues to struggle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad