Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | GM Working the Phones Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackFr

Jun 18, 2010
I'm expecting to see Sprong traded for one of Zykov, Ritchie, or Jacob Larsson.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Simon’s bad is better than Sprong’s bad from what I’ve seen. This season Sprong has been mainly awful.

Every player, situation is different too. Different positions, skill set, form etc. You can’t treat everything the same.

I’ve made no bones Simon is my guy for years, but I’d be quite dishonest if I didn’t admit he had some really bad moments last season and thankfully got to play through them.

I’ve been very, very adamant for years that young guys need to be allowed to play through their mistakes if you want to eventually get their best.

You want to constantly bench a guy for his mistakes, fine.... but why is a young kid on the trade block when you have only watched him as a coach play 20 NHL games?

Guys that pot 30 goals as rookies in the A don’t end up on the chopping block this early. Still trying to find a situation where it’s happened TBTH.

Hmm...

Reactions: KIRK

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
Well they're going to have a team with 1 1st line center and 3 4th line centers regardless of what they do with Sheahan, because Sheahan is a 4th line center at this point. They'd just save a good chunk of money and get some new blood in by getting rid of Sheahan and putting Blueger in. Any sort of downgrade from Sheahan to Blueger isn't significant because Sheahan isn't good. What does Sprong have to do with this? I'm pointing out that Sheahan is playing at "should be waived fodder" level, so playing a young guy in WBS who is performing well isn't any sort of demonstrable downgrade on what they are getting from Sheahan.

Sprong was just an example of them not wanting to play young guys for some reason right now. Thats what I brought him up nothing else. Sullivan seems to have weirdly started doing the whole lets get crappy players with not upside (Wilson, Grant) and play them instead of young blood.

Ya it's nota sizable downgrade but honestly what GM or coach in any recent time does this. JR kind of did it in 2016, but then he got just as bad with bring back Cullen, bringing in Johnson, and Grant. I just don't see him dumping these guys for nothing and bringing up young players.

Again its not what I would do, but I just don't see it happening.

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I’m saying what I already know... Sullivan doesn’t want Sprong on this team... and JR does... yet Sprong’s name is on the block...

JR said he doesn’t get involved at that level and let’s the coaches do their thing...

Sprong could be a bust, but I want him to be around long enough to know that, and none of us know that yet... none of us... that includes the coaches... yet his name is on the block... but even the talking heads that make fun of fan overreaction like Madden and Mackey are confused what’s going on here...

Like I keep saying, quite curious.

I honestly think Rutherford prefers to keep Sprong and if he has to move another forward to get him in the lineup he might. The comments seem passive aggressive towards Sullivan.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Sprong was just an example of them not wanting to play young guys for some reason right now. Thats what I brought him up nothing else. Sullivan seems to have weirdly started doing the whole lets get crappy players with not upside (Wilson, Grant) and play them instead of young blood.

Ya it's nota sizable downgrade but honestly what GM or coach in any recent time does this. JR kind of did it in 2016, but then he got just as bad with bring back Cullen, bringing in Johnson, and Grant. I just don't see him dumping these guys for nothing and bringing up young players.

Again its not what I would do, but I just don't see it happening.

JR has actually done stuff like this a lot. He dumped Fehr in 2017 to let Rowney take his role, that's a great example of something like this. Cole is another really good example, he was traded because of the emergence of Oleksiak. I think you can include Plotnikov as an example of this, too, although Plotnikov was essentially a rookie who was terrible in the NHL.

I basically view Sheahan as another Fehr at this point, and with JR's comments about Blueger in the off-season, I don't think he'd be scared to dump Sheahan even with some injuries at center.

Reactions: pixiesfanyo

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I found JRs comments about Simon... interesting.

Madden asked him if he was happy with Simon’s production this year and JR said he was very happy with it... then mentioned that he basically needed time to learn the NHL game last season, and now it’s paying off production wise, etc.

Why doesn’t that apply to a guy who lead all AHL rookies in goal scoring last season?

Seems quite curious.
it sounds like from JR's comments, he actually seems to feel the same about Sprong. Didn't he mention Sprong not being in a position to get goals or something like that?

Darren McCord

Dec 15, 2015
I basically view Sheahan as another Fehr at this point, and with JR's comments about Blueger in the off-season, I don't think he'd be scared to dump Sheahan even with some injuries at center.

Im actual a big fan of TB's since he was drafted. I just think it's wishful thinking, but who knows. It will be interesting to see how the team reacts sans Hagelin next game. And probably with Crosby. If a guy or two steps up big they could buy themself time and things could change.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I’ve made no bones Simon is my guy for years, but I’d be quite dishonest if I didn’t admit he had some really bad moments last season and thankfully got to play through them.

I’ve been very, very adamant for years that young guys need to be allowed to play through their mistakes if you want to eventually get their best.

You want to constantly bench a guy for his mistakes, fine.... but why is a young kid on the trade block when you have only watched him as a coach play 20 NHL games?

Guys that pot 30 goals as rookies in the A don’t end up on the chopping block this early. Still trying to find a situation where it’s happened TBTH.

Hmm...

Yeah we are pretty much on the same page. Simon had that week or so stretch at making bad passes in transition and other stretches of not doing a lot (but not hurting us either). I really like him. Smart and tenacious.

Sprong last year started well then fell away. They sent him back to really work on things to become a successful NHL player. I just haven’t seen it this season though. I know Sully isn’t a fan but Sprong is really hurting us when we’re giving up a lot of goals.

I would have given him time with Sid and pushed Rust down but I also understand why it didn’t happen. He’s hurting the team on the ice.

A bit of chicken or egg to it too. If he played higher up the lines early would he be hurting the team as much as he had. I do want to see more intensity in his game too. That assist on Simon’s goal was freaking awesome. He just wanted so bad. Needs more of that stuff.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I have to say, calling up Grant with a potential Sid injury is probably the move that annoys me the most so far this year. Sure, if we're replacing Cullen or Sheahan, bring up the plug. I still don't really like it, but whatever. But with Brassard and Crosby out, bring up a guy with some potential talent.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
I honestly think Rutherford prefers to keep Sprong and if he has to move another forward to get him in the lineup he might. The comments seem passive aggressive towards Sullivan.

Yep, that’s the sense I got...

it sounds like from JR's comments, he actually seems to feel the same about Sprong. Didn't he mention Sprong not being in a position to get goals or something like that?

I obviously can’t speak for JR, but his tone was basically I stay out of the lineup decisions, but the kid needs a real chance...

Reactions: KIRK

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I guess getting Pearson means we are out of the Duchene sweepstakes in July? Hagelin was 4M coming off the books, we will have 3.7 for the next 2 years and need money for raises.

Jake's raise the only one that matters. That'll be 5M tops+ probably.
Lots of $ still you can move out: Olli, Rust, Sheahan, Rig make what? 11M?
Murray continues to suck, theres another 3.75...

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I have to say, calling up Grant with a potential Sid injury is probably the move that annoys me the most so far this year. Sure, if we're replacing Cullen or Sheahan, bring up the plug. I still don't really like it, but whatever. But with Brassard and Crosby out, bring up a guy with some potential talent.

Just wait 'til Brassard comes back with Crosby still out...and Sully puts him on LW.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Hmm...

What about players that are snipers that only have 2 goals in 20 games in the NHL?

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Yeah we are pretty much on the same page. Simon had that week or so stretch at making bad passes in transition and other stretches of not doing a lot (but not hurting us either). I really like him. Smart and tenacious.

Sprong last year started well then fell away. They sent him back to really work on things to become a successful NHL player. I just haven’t seen it this season though. I know Sully isn’t a fan but Sprong is really hurting us when we’re giving up a lot of goals.

I would have given him time with Sid and pushed Rust down but I also understand why it didn’t happen. He’s hurting the team on the ice.

A bit of chicken or egg to it too. If he played higher up the lines early would he be hurting the team as much as he had. I do want to see more intensity in his game too. That assist on Simon’s goal was freaking awesome. He just wanted so bad. Needs more of that stuff.

I think there is a big difference between playing lackadaisical and playing tentative. To me, Sprong is playing tentative... very tentative. It’s really weird to watch because this guy oozed confidence so much in jrs and the A,... I dunno, whatever...

As I said, bench him for every mistake, make him eat nachos, do what you think is best I suppose.... but trade him this soon? Wth are the coaches passing around in their meetings?

Guess when Puff the Magic Dragon helps you make decisions that’s what you get... and then you crank call Guerin and tell him to call up ZAR and Wilson...

“Dude wth did we do last night....??”

Reactions: Andy99

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
if we are going to give kessel his own line, the only center that has shown he can play with phil out side of sid and geno is Sheahan. we all hope brass can do as well or better, but as of yet we don't know. so until we find out (even as bad as Sheahan has been) I don't think jr is going to be in a hurry to move him.

Reactions: Darren McCord

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
You're gonna have a stroke when Rust is traded, Horny gets hurt, and Sully still keeps Sprong out of the line-up by playing both Simon and Guentzel at RW.

losing-it.gif

Reactions: KIRK and Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
if we are going to give kessel his own line, the only center that has shown he can play with phil out side of sid and geno is Sheahan. we all hope brass can do as well or better, but as of yet we don't know. so until we find out (even as bad as Sheahan has been) I don't think jr is going to be in a hurry to move him.
My question for that is still how much of that was Sheahan, and how much of that was Guentzel? As soon as we brought in Brassard, we moved Guentzel off that line.

BlindWillyMcHurt

ti kallisti
May 31, 2004
I think there is a big difference between playing lackadaisical and playing tentative. To me, Sprong is playing tentative... very tentative. It’s really weird to watch because this guy oozed confidence so much in jrs and the A,... I dunno, whatever...

As I said, bench him for every mistake, make him eat nachos, do what you think is best I suppose.... but trade him this soon? Wth are the coaches passing around in their meetings?

Guess when Puff the Magic Dragon helps you make decisions that’s what you get... and then you crank call Guerin and tell him to call up ZAR and Wilson...

“Dude wth did we do last night....??”

Hey now... lets not denigrate the values of Puff The Magic Dragon as it relates to making wise decisions.

I think this entire box of Garbage Pail Kids I ordered late last night on eBay is testament to that.

Hehehehe... Smelly Kelly. Hilarious.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad