Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I'd ideally prefer to move Maatta for futures and gain as much cap space as possible to be players at the deadline if it looks like we could go on another run.

But again, it's very rare a player with term gets moved anymore without salary coming back. And with Anaheim, I'm not seeing them giggling with anticipation to take Maatta's contract.
If we're gonna deal with the Ducks again it's gonna very likely be a cap neutral deal. Probably the case if we're dealing with quite a few teams.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Perhaps Rig is getting showcased...lol.
Would anyone do Rig for Ritchie?
He'd be a better ZAR atleast. heh.

Doogle

Jun 8, 2010
I know that Cogliano hasn't been producing, but I think that a change of scenery would probably do him well. We could use his speed and penalty killing at least. I mean really if you want to improve your team speed, Maata out and Cogliano in certainly helps. Though I'd want a decent pick or prospect in addition

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
I know that Cogliano hasn't been producing, but I think that a change of scenery would probably do him well. We could use his speed and penalty killing at least. I mean really if you want to improve your team speed, Maata out and Cogliano in certainly helps. Though I'd want a decent pick or prospect in addition

No please.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
The Blues are an intriguing team.

They only made the move of firing Yeo, but they haven't really "shaken" up their roster at all yet. But it looks like they might be getting close to opening up for business.

Sanford is a solid player that has size, can skate, has a decent shot...could be intriguing in the bottom 6 on the LW. IT really depends on how JR sees the bottom 6 right now.

Is he happy with Aston-Reese as a 3rd line LW? Are they just looking for a 4th line RW? Do you just upgrade on Rust and then add a 4th line LW with moving one of the D?

If we were healthy...

Guentzel, Crosby, Kessel
Pearson, Malkin, Hornqvist
Simon, Brassard, Rust
Grant/Cullen, Sheahan, Aston-Reese

Really the only upgrade I see then, is on Rust. If you can pair Rust + one of the D to land a bigger/better fish for that 3rd line RW, what could you get?

I wish we could get Virtanen + Tanev from the Canucks for a package of Rust + Maatta + 2nd.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Tampa Bay?
Nashville?
Toronto?

So, Tampa has made the playoffs five time in the last ten years.

Nashville has made the playoffs seven times in the last ten years and out of the second round once.

Toronto has made the playoffs three times in the last ten years.

Wonder how they ever could have got high end wingers..

Also, what high end wingers does Nash have over the last ten years outside of Forsberg?

I’m not sure any of those teams were even truly competitive since maybe 2013-14?

Reactions: Shady Machine

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
So, Tampa has made the playoffs five time in the last ten years.

Nashville has made the playoffs seven times in the last ten years and out of the second round once.

Toronto has made the playoffs three times in the last ten years.

Wonder how they ever could have got high end wingers..

Also, what high end wingers does Nash have over the last ten years outside of Forsberg?

I’m not sure any of those teams were even truly competitive since maybe 2013-14?

Since 2008.
1st round picks: 6
2nd round picks: 3

Maybe if we don't trade our 1sts?
Maybe if we don't put prospects in a position to fail and then cast them off and then blame them?

Arvidsson and Fiala are crap to you? Tolvanen looks like he might be one too by all accounts.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
The Blues are an intriguing team.

They only made the move of firing Yeo, but they haven't really "shaken" up their roster at all yet. But it looks like they might be getting close to opening up for business.

Sanford is a solid player that has size, can skate, has a decent shot...could be intriguing in the bottom 6 on the LW. IT really depends on how JR sees the bottom 6 right now.

Is he happy with Aston-Reese as a 3rd line LW? Are they just looking for a 4th line RW? Do you just upgrade on Rust and then add a 4th line LW with moving one of the D?

If we were healthy...

Guentzel, Crosby, Kessel
Simon, Brassard, Rust
Grant/Cullen, Sheahan, Aston-Reese

Really the only upgrade I see then, is on Rust. If you can pair Rust + one of the D to land a bigger/better fish for that 3rd line RW, what could you get?

I wish we could get Virtanen + Tanev from the Canucks for a package of Rust + Maatta + 2nd.

Alot of the interesting teams are out West which is good in terms of ones that possibly need a shake up/beef up where JR can win the deal.

STL, ANA, LA, WPG, NSH, DAL, ARI, EDM, etc. etc.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
@pixiesfanyo save your reply, I am done with that conversation. I am not interested in engaging in that discussion/argument/debate as I know how that is going to end.

Alot of the interesting teams are out West which is good in terms of ones that possibly need a shake up/beef up where JR can win the deal.

STL, ANA, LA, WPG, NSH, DAL, ARI, EDM, etc. etc.

Yeah, just have to see which teams need what we can offer up.

Just saw your edit...guys I'd be interested by team...

Anaheim: Silverberg
Los Angeles: Kempe
Winnipeg: Roslovic
Nashville: Man...depends on what we can offer them, they might not be willing to deal unless its Kessel.
Dallas: Nichushkin, Janmark, Dickinson...
Arizona: I think our chance to get something from them is gone.
Edmonton: I don't think they have much to want that they'd be willing to give. I like Caggiula, but would they ever take Rust for him and give us Caggiula and a pick?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Honestly, if we can even just get Roslovic, throw him on the 4th line and let him be the 4C and get comfortable on this team...next year he could be a great candidate within for a 3C role.

Jets are a bunch of size queens too and their defense is ravaged, Oleksiak makes the right cap number....

Oleksiak for Roslovic?
Then you move Rust for Caggiula + Oilers 3rd or 2nd? (DO NOT TRADE OUR 1ST!).

Guentzel, Crosby, Kessel
Sheahan, Brassard, Caggiula
Cullen/Grant, Roslovic, Aston-Reese

Jake Guentzel is the answer to all draft discussion.

Pens drafted him 5yrs ago, in the last 5yrs, outside of Jake, the last player since then that has made an impact from the draft is Dom Simon.

Kapanen was in the Kessel deal, doing great things in Toronto.
Sprong looked good in the first game for the Ducks, time will tell for him.
Rest are in the AHL, Europe, or College or just gone. - Really hoping Bjorkqvist and Hallander turn out to be solid top 9 wingers.

Our scouting department has always worried me some.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
@pixiesfanyo save your reply, I am done with that conversation. I am not interested in engaging in that discussion/argument/debate as I know how that is going to end.

Yeah, just have to see which teams need what we can offer up.

Just saw your edit...guys I'd be interested by team...

Anaheim: Silverberg
Los Angeles: Kempe
Winnipeg: Roslovic
Nashville: Man...depends on what we can offer them, they might not be willing to deal unless its Kessel.
Dallas: Nichushkin, Janmark, Dickinson...
Arizona: I think our chance to get something from them is gone.
Edmonton: I don't think they have much to want that they'd be willing to give. I like Caggiula, but would they ever take Rust for him and give us Caggiula and a pick?

You're right about EDM. Not much there.
Theres also CHI, CGY, MIN.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
You're right about EDM. Not much there.
Theres also CHI, CGY, MIN.

IF JR is going to turn a blind eye to Sully's crap and think we're going to turn a corner and be a contender still (we might be?), I think the Flames don't work, they might want Brassard from us, but other than that, I don't know what we have that might interest them.

Like do they want Rust? I noticed they have bottom 6 depth issues just like us. I wold bet they'd try to pawn off Neal to anyone that is willing. They won't deal Jankowski, he's their 3C.

So I don't know what the option would be. Unless JR sees an opportunity to get Bennett and is ok taking Frolik from them for Rust + and then moves one of the D to not screw the cap?

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I think you need a RW from outside the organization to properly leverage Pearson-Geno.

You also need a LW from outside the organization to properly leverage Geno-Horny.

Not a popular opinion, but you could always move Guentzel down to Malkin's line. Try Pearson with Crosby and Kessel - if the plan is to keep trying Kessel with Crosby.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Not a popular opinion, but you could always move Guentzel down to Malkin's line. Try Pearson with Crosby and Kessel - if the plan is to keep trying Kessel with Crosby.

Or to spread the depth out a little...

Simon, Crosby, Kessel
Guentzel, Malkin, Hornqvist
Pearson, Brassard, Rust

Reactions: Riptide

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Anaheim is pretty cap strapped, not sure they'd go for sending out a pending UFA for a guy making 4 mil/year for several more years.

Maatta isn't playing above Fowler or Lindholm when healthy, and they have issues scoring goals so they might just keep Silf as an own rental.

Personally, I'd be fine with Cogliano, a pick and 750k of cap space. You get your Hagelin type LWer back at Rust money.

For a blueliner they just might. If they were to do that 1-1, that would put them at 78m with 17 players signed - none of which need any substantial raises. It's not until after the 19/20 season that they have anyone worth anything getting raises. But by then, because the cap continuing to go up and just general moves, I don't think they'll run into any major issues.

I'm not normally a fan of moving someone valuable for a pending UFA... but God, if there was a way to sign Silfverberg and it only cost us Maatta to get him... that's a win in my books.

Guentzel - Crosby - Hornqvist
Pearson - Malkin - Silfverberg
Rust/ZAR - Brassard - Kessel
Rust/ZAR - Sheahan - Grant

Dumoulin - Letang
Pettersson - Schultz
Johnson - Riikola
Oleksiak

Going into next season would make things interesting... as we'd have little to spend on a 3c.

Guentzel (6.5m)- Crosby - Hornqvist (20.5m)
Pearson - Malkin - Silfverberg (5m) (18.25m)
Rust - XXXXX - Kessel (10.3m)
ZAR - Blueger - XXXXX (2.25m)

Dumoulin - Letang (11.35m)
Pettersson - Schultz (6.5m)
Johnson - Riikola (4.25m)

MM/X (3.75m)
Total: 77.15m

Gives you 5/6m to get: 3C, 4 depth players (~3m) and a backup. Which means you're pretty much being forced to move Rust for cap reasons. And personally I've already dumped Oleksiak.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad