Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | Closed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think you need a RW from outside the organization to properly leverage Pearson-Geno.

You also need a LW from outside the organization to properly leverage Geno-Horny.

I think Rust in theory fits what a Pearson-Malkin line needs really well: a fast winger with good playmaking talents. I think that is exactly what that line needs if he'd only be playing well. Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist isn't perfectly ideal, but you're really going to struggle with putting Hornqvist in an ideal spot on this team with Kessel also on it. That has been a problem ever since the Penguins acquired Kessel, they have 2 guys who don't fit that well with either Crosby or Malkin.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think you need a RW from outside the organization to properly leverage Pearson-Geno.

You also need a LW from outside the organization to properly leverage Geno-Horny.
Meanwhile, the last time Pearson-Geno-Horny played a full game together (two days ago) they scored 4 goals.

Reactions: Trade

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Meanwhile, the last time Pearson-Geno-Horny played a full game together (two days ago) they scored 4 goals.

Was that the only time they played together?

You have a habit of sometimes projecting everything into one game while ignoring others.

I think Rust in theory fits what a Pearson-Malkin line needs really well: a fast winger with good playmaking talents. I think that is exactly what that line needs if he'd only be playing well. Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist isn't perfectly ideal, but you're really going to struggle with putting Hornqvist in an ideal spot on this team with Kessel also on it. That has been a problem ever since the Penguins acquired Kessel, they have 2 guys who don't fit that well with either Crosby or Malkin.

Old Rust? Yes, sort of. This Rust? No. It's like this year's Hagelin.

I think we're a better team finding a winger for Geno because it can help leverage Geno more fully and trickles down talent to give you a better bottom six.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
This is a public service announcement.

RWs who have more points than Kessel since '16-'17: Kucherov, Wheeler, and Kane.

Kane has 1 more point over that span in 1 more game. Their average combined cap hit is about 9.5 mil per. Phil's is 6.8.

That is all.

I'm all for using all of our options to build this team other than trading Phil.

If this defense can stabilize internally just by getting rid of at least one of Oleksiak/Maatta and keeping JJ's minutes down, then maybe we can forego the nuclear option.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

They're certainly not a bad combination, and I think people exaggerate the issues they have. I do think the duo lacks playmaking talent and speed, but it's still not a bad line combination for Malkin. I still think that Hornqvist isn't the ideal RWer to play opposite of Pearson, I think they need exactly what Rust is supposed to be opposite of Pearson.

Line Stats - Natural Stat Trick

The Pearson-Malkin-Hornqvist line has been super successful in terms of advanced stats, though. Good goal scoring numbers and fine defensive numbesr. They don't generate as many high danger chances as you'd like to see, which seems to be the only big complaint with them.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Was that the only time they played together?

You have a habit of sometimes projecting everything into one game while ignoring others.
and you have a habit of jumping to early conclusions. Like wanting to split up Geno and Phil early in the year while they were literally winning us games while the rest of the team sleepwalked.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
and you have a habit of jumping to early conclusions. Like wanting to split up Geno and Phil early in the year while they were literally winning us games while the rest of the team sleepwalked.

Of course, I was proven right over time.

EDIT: I'm not sure that helps your Pearson case. :laugh:

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Of course, I was proven right over time.

EDIT: I'm not sure that helps your Pearson case. :laugh:
well, sort of. You were proven that when they go cold you need to split them up. But they have also proven that they are VERY good together when they are on. Like that time we won a Cup with them together.

Also, PGH has been together for what, 3 games? And they dominated one of them.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
I got no problem moving Pearson down with Brassard when he has a rough game, but I like that he's at least smart and safe in the D-zone even when he's not clicking offensively.

This team goes idiot mode too much and having a guy like that next to one of your main culprits in Geno isn't the worst thing.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I got no problem moving Pearson down with Brassard when he has a rough game, but I like that he's at least smart and safe in the D-zone even when he's not clicking offensively.

This team goes idiot mode too much and having a guy like that next to one of your main culprits in Geno isn't the worst thing.
yeah, I have no issue with Pearson on the 3rd line really. But right now we just don't have a better top 6 LW option. Not really even close.

Reactions: KIRK

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
yeah, I have no issue with Pearson on the 3rd line really. But right now we just don't have a better top 6 LW option. Not really even close.

I still can't believe Sheahan was the first guy to replace PH with Malkin. Rust may not come back from whatever the hell is ailing him.

This came to mind when I saw that....

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Anaheim looking for a left hand shot d man (TSN Insiders segment). Surely they’ve talked about Maatta with JR. They have some forwards that’d fit in here.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Anaheim looking for a left hand shot d man (TSN Insiders segment). Surely they’ve talked about Maatta with JR. They have some forwards that’d fit in here.

I believe I read a rumor somewhere that Anaheim likes Maatta, too. I'm not exactly sure where I read that, though.

I don't really see much on Anaheim that gets my interest. Maybe Maatta for Silfverberg? He fits the mold of a guy who can play both LW and RW and fits well with both Pearson and Malkin on the 2nd line and Brassard and Kessel on the 3rd line.

Reactions: KIRK and Ogrezilla

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I believe I read a rumor somewhere that Anaheim likes Maatta, too. I'm not exactly sure where I read that, though.

I don't really see much on Anaheim that gets my interest. Maybe Maatta for Silfverberg? He fits the mold of a guy who can play both LW and RW and fits well with both Pearson and Malkin on the 2nd line and Brassard and Kessel on the 3rd line.

I’ve heard they liked Maatta too. Not sure to what extent though.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

Well, Rakell...but I doubt he’s available....

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010

Anaheim is pretty cap strapped, not sure they'd go for sending out a pending UFA for a guy making 4 mil/year for several more years.

Maatta isn't playing above Fowler or Lindholm when healthy, and they have issues scoring goals so they might just keep Silf as an own rental.

Personally, I'd be fine with Cogliano, a pick and 750k of cap space. You get your Hagelin type LWer back at Rust money.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
This team definitely needs to find more depth wingers.

It's clear we can't draft them and develop them, only sign undrafted ones and give them a shot since they are older and closer to being ready. Not sure which teams have anything that they would give up for the likes of Maatta, Johnson, or Oleksiak.

You're not getting Rakell for anything short of Kessel, Rakell is that good.
Yeah I think people need to look up some of these guys more.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
Anaheim is pretty cap strapped, not sure they'd go for sending out a pending UFA for a guy making 4 mil/year for several more years.

Maatta isn't playing above Fowler or Lindholm when healthy, and they have issues scoring goals so they might just keep Silf as an own rental.

Personally, I'd be fine with Cogliano, a pick and 750k of cap space. You get your Hagelin type LWer back at Rust money.
Eh, Cogliano is producing about as well as Bryan Rust right now and he's a smallish guy as well.

mpp9

Dec 5, 2010
Eh, Cogliano is producing about as well as Bryan Rust right now and he's a smallish guy as well.

I'd ideally prefer to move Maatta for futures and gain as much cap space as possible to be players at the deadline if it looks like we could go on another run.

But again, it's very rare a player with term gets moved anymore without salary coming back. And with Anaheim, I'm not seeing them giggling with anticipation to take Maatta's contract.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I'd ideally prefer to move Maatta for futures and gain as much cap space as possible to be players at the deadline if it looks like we could go on another run.

But again, it's very rare a player with term gets moved anymore without salary coming back. And with Anaheim, I'm not seeing them giggling with anticipation to take Maatta's contract.
I just don't see Anaheim as a team wanting anyone on our blueline unless its Dumo or Letang. Which makes it pointless.

So you have to look at other teams, in the west, that would want a guy like Maatta or Oleksiak that are weak on the left side.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad