Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I'm not conspiring against him (as far as you know), but I can see legitimate reasons as to why such a deal wouldn't work. I don't know that this team necessarily needs to get older. And that cap hit is too cumbersome IMO. Now, if say Maatta goes the other way, then I'd consider it because I don't believe he fits our system well. Beyond that it seems like a long shot.

All the best conspiracies have unwitting pawns.

Unfortunately, now that EightyOne's blown the whistle on us, its time to clean this up with extreme prejudice. Fortunately, we have brainwashed minions with Hollywood looks and ninjas skills waiting for this purpose. Just need to wait for them to return from disposing of a rogue element. I'm sure nothing can go wrong with this plan.

I think everyone wants those kind of guys. I really question how we can get that kind of player though. I would be shocked if it happens without trading away someone we really don't want to trade away.

I think a good young high end 3C is going to cost Maatta. Which is no longer such a big deal, but still significant.

edit: I see I've been ninja'ed!

I don't think us having the price is necessarily the big issue here. Availability is. How many orgs have a surplus here that they're willing to deal from?

Also

Re Bozak - I brought up his name as an example of the talent Kessel got to play with that we can't provide here, not as an active trade desire. I thought that was pretty clear tbh.

Re Jarry - Correct me if wrong, but don't all NHL contracted players have to go through waivers every season to play in the AHL?

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I think a good young high end 3C is going to cost Maatta. Which is no longer such a big deal, but still significant.

I don't think us having the price is necessarily the big issue here. Availability is. How many orgs have a surplus here that they're willing to deal from?
If that is doable, I don't see either team wanting to do it mid-season. That's a bigger deal than teams tend to make at the deadline.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If that is doable, I don't see either team wanting to do it mid-season. That's a bigger deal than teams tend to make at the deadline.

Agreed. Unless a team has a big injury that leaves them wanting a player like Maatta in a hurry, this isn't the time of year for this sort of thing.

I think the most likely way we'd get this sort of centre at this point is if a team panicked and offloaded a player they shouldn't in an attempt to reach the playoffs. I am thinking very specifically of Dallas' struggles to get anything going behind their 1st line, with Faksa having a rotten season and us having a cheap 2C who could help.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Agreed. Unless a team has a big injury that leaves them wanting a player like Maatta in a hurry, this isn't the time of year for this sort of thing.

I think the most likely way we'd get this sort of centre at this point is if a team panicked and offloaded a player they shouldn't in an attempt to reach the playoffs. I am thinking very specifically of Dallas' struggles to get anything going behind their 1st line, with Faksa having a rotten season and us having a cheap 2C who could help.
man something around Brassard for Faksa would be an awesome fleecing

Last edited:

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
main something around Brassard for Faksa would be an awesome fleecing

Right? I think Dallas would have to be very foolish to do that, but foolish things happen when subpar GMs are under pressure. Just a shame that neither Edmonton or Montreal have a need for him. But I think that's what we'd be hoping for here. A mistake.

Not sure how else it happens. I daresay an overpay would work. But other than that...

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Right? I think Dallas would have to be very foolish to do that, but foolish things happen when subpar GMs are under pressure. Just a shame that neither Edmonton or Montreal have a need for him. But I think that's what we'd be hoping for here. A mistake.

Not sure how else it happens. I daresay an overpay would work. But other than that...
JR has taken advantage of mistakes before, so fingers crossed :laugh: Is there another Trevor Daley out there we can get for Oleksiak maybe?

Reactions: Peat

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I agree that it’s time to clean up roster, but who is going to play center when you trade Sheahan and Brass? I like Sheahan as a 4C.

Are we going to play Derek effing Grant full time at center??? Matt Cullen???

We likely wouldn’t get a center back in any deal for Brass and a Sheahan. We would get a very poor center if we just trade Maatta.

Like i said. '16 like swaps.
JR turned Perron into Hags and Scuds into Daley.
Other teams around the league probably aren't gonna be so happy to hand over JR whatever he wants now vs 2016 but gotta try.

DegenX

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Aug 14, 2011
All the best conspiracies have unwitting pawns.

Unfortunately, now that EightyOne's blown the whistle on us, its time to clean this up with extreme prejudice. Fortunately, we have brainwashed minions with Hollywood looks and ninjas skills waiting for this purpose. Just need to wait for them to return from disposing of a rogue element. I'm sure nothing can go wrong with this plan.

Also

Re Bozak - I brought up his name as an example of the talent Kessel got to play with that we can't provide here, not as an active trade desire. I thought that was pretty clear tbh.

Re Jarry - Correct me if wrong, but don't all NHL contracted players have to go through waivers every season to play in the AHL?
Some players are exempt. Link

Reactions: EightyOne

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Some players are exempt. Link

Basically, based on age, position and NHL games played, players are exempt from having to pass through Waivers from NHL to AHL for a max of five years (six for goalies) after signing ELC.

Because Jarry was signed so young and didn't play TOO many NHL games, he had a lot of exempt years. That ends next year. We can call him up without issue next year, but re-assigning to minor league would open him up to being poached.

Last edited:
Reactions: DegenX

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Sorry, wasn't clear. I meant all waiver eligible players had to go through. That the Pens couldn't try and say "Well we've never recalled Jarry from WBS since last season so he doesn't have to go through waivers".

Lol that'd be an awesome loophole. Lol.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
What about Tierney?

I’d definitely go after Tierney.

Issue is he has Sheahan syndrome with Brassard offensive chops.

He somehow skipped my mind when i made my list looking at rosters. I wouldn't mind him.

I think everyone wants those kind of guys. I really question how we can get that kind of player though. I would be shocked if it happens without trading away someone we really don't want to trade away.

One thing you have to consider is other teams needs.
DAL could really use a Brassard for next season.
Ultimately with the way Brass is playing probably not many teams would be willing to do a sign and trade but there may be a couple out there with holes to fill for next season.

On the topic of Jarry. I'd only move him if it means getting a really neat piece.
Other than that keep him, then look to move either CDS or during the summer or right up to the day you have to waive either one.

I'd take Bones back in a heartbeat vs paying Sheahan, Brassard and Rig's salaries.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
On the topic of Jarry. I'd only move him if it means getting a really neat piece.
Other than that keep him, then look to move either CDS or during the summer or right up to the day you have to waive either one.

How often do GMs resign an UFA then moving him before he's even played a game? I feel like this is a really unlikely scenario.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
How often do GMs resign an UFA then moving him before he's even played a game? I feel like this is a really unlikely scenario.

Unlikely sure, but that contract did more than help the Pens affordably secure goaltending depth.

It increased DeSmith's trade value.

A decent, cheap, multi year goalie could tempt other GMs.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009

There's still almost half a season to play.
Things can change quickly if CDS regresses and Jarry is still here and playing well in WB or PIT.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Unlikely sure, but that contract did more than help the Pens affordably secure goaltending depth.

It increased DeSmith's trade value.

A decent, cheap, multi year goalie could tempt other GMs.

And the prospect of getting traded before ever playing a game on a new UFA contract could really drive away other UFAs.

If people can point at examples of this actually happening, then cool. But right now this feels like the sort of theoretical stuff that GMs don't do. Like offersheets, but worse.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I also don't rule out the option to beef up LW vs C that allows you to play that player/Simon/Rust/Pearson or Horny on the 4th line.

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
And the prospect of getting traded before ever playing a game on a new UFA contract could really drive away other UFAs.

If people can point at examples of this actually happening, then cool. But right now this feels like the sort of theoretical stuff that GMs don't do. Like offersheets, but worse.

Think of it like a VERY delayed sign and trade at the trade deadline lol lol

I would ONLY think he'd be traded NEXT year in season/summer of 2020 based on play relative to Jarry and ONLY if Jarry re-signs here during 2019/summer of 2020 season (he's RFA but maybe they don't have smooth negotiations and pens try to cut bait with Jarry).

That'd give other GMs 2 years of CDS.

I can't see any of our goalies being dealt until summer 2020 at earliest. Unless unforeseen circumstances arise.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Think of it like a VERY delayed sign and trade at the trade deadline lol lol

I would ONLY think he'd be traded NEXT year in season/summer of 2020 based on play relative to Jarry and ONLY if Jarry re-signs here during 2019/summer of 2020 season (he's RFA but maybe they don't have smooth negotiations and pens try to cut bait with Jarry).

That'd give other GMs 2 years of CDS.

I can't see any of our goalies being dealt until summer 2020 at earliest. Unless unforeseen circumstances arise.

Is your last sentence including Jarry? He’s not waiver exempt after this season (which he’d be claimed)

EightyOne

Nov 23, 2016
Is your last sentence including Jarry? He’s not waiver exempt after this season (which he’d be claimed)

Yes. Jarry will live in AHL all next year if they can make that work.....but you're correct, they need someone exempt to call up for annual NHL goalie injuries.

It's an a train wreck coming. A perfect storm of f***ed up contract mess. Maybe they trade him for another goalie. Maybe pens will sign some exempt guy who can sit on NHL bench. We'll see. I think they'd rather not call Jarry up if they can avoid it.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
Yes. Jarry will live in AHL all next year if they can make that work.....but you're correct, they need someone exempt to call up for annual NHL goalie injuries.

It's an a train wreck coming. A perfect storm of ****ed up contract mess. Maybe they trade him for another goalie. Maybe pens will sign some exempt guy who can sit on NHL bench. We'll see. I think they'd rather not call Jarry up if they can avoid it.

Jarry has to go through waivers at the start of the season so he won’t be here. Plenty of teams with goalie troubles that will want some young potential.

He’ll be traded either this season or in the summer.

Tom Hanks

Nov 10, 2017
I don’t see Jarry being claimed. He’s not special.

100% he will. He was alright in the NHL last season over 23 starts and is still pretty young in terms of goalie development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad