Salary Cap: Salary Cap + Roster Building (Cap Details in First Post) | All Your Base Are Belong to Us

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Riiko is waiver exempt for this full season according to CF.

JR needs to put all the trash now up for sale.
Brass, Sheahan, Rig to name the headliners(my list would include Olli and JJ too but you know...)
See if you can pull off '16 style upgrades.
I agree that it’s time to clean up roster, but who is going to play center when you trade Sheahan and Brass? I like Sheahan as a 4C.

Are we going to play Derek effing Grant full time at center??? Matt Cullen???

We likely wouldn’t get a center back in any deal for Brass and a Sheahan. We would get a very poor center if we just trade Maatta.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Do we keep Jarry now that DeSmith has been signed? Maybe keep him as insurance for when Murray inevitably gets hurt? He probably isn’t worth much at this point; I guess we would need to include him in a package trade with someone else.

Jarry is signed through next year, still.

Problem is, he'll we waivers eligible next year. So unless they keep him down in AHL all year, the risk of losing him when he goes from NHL callup back to AHL during the season will be too great.

He will be a RFA at the end of the contract. Which may or may not be attractive to trade partners.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Because he's 34, on pace for one of his worst seasons in his career and signed until he's 37 at $5.25 million a year. That alone is a perfect justification to saying no to him.

Now balance that against talk about acquiring Bozak or Bonino.

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
I like Carter but his age and contract make it very difficult to do such a deal.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
No one wants to acquire Bozak or Bonino. People want a younger guy like Jarnkrok or Faksa for the most part.

Pretty sure there was talk about them on the last page.

I can't imagine why Nashville would want to do us any favours. Faksa would be great, but I don't know why Dallas would want to part with him either. Rebulding teams don't typically want to trade away good young 6'3" players who are performing well.

Reactions: Ogrezilla

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Dude. It's because you want him here.

Haven't you figured out we're all conspiring against you, yet?
I'm not conspiring against him (as far as you know), but I can see legitimate reasons as to why such a deal wouldn't work. I don't know that this team necessarily needs to get older. And that cap hit is too cumbersome IMO. Now, if say Maatta goes the other way, then I'd consider it because I don't believe he fits our system well. Beyond that it seems like a long shot.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
it's the age and contract for me. If his deal was up after this year or next, sign me up. But that's not a cheap deal for a guy his age for that long.

I guess I measure that against a guy like Malkin. He's only a year younger than Carter and nobody's talking about his contract or age being a problem. Bergeron and Burns are the same age.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I guess I measure that against a guy like Malkin. He's only a year younger than Carter and nobody's talking about his contract or age being a problem. Bergeron and Burns are the same age.
One of them is Evgeni Malkin and one of them isn't though. I honestly don't feel like any more needs to be said about that :laugh:

but for real, Carter is a weird option. He really doesn't seem to want to move again. It seems like he could be unhappy to be here. That's not worth the risk all things considered imo. It wouldn't be the worst move, and if he is happy to come he'd help us in the short term. But there's enough questions that I'd go another route if possible.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Pretty sure there was talk about them on the last page.

I can't imagine why Nashville would want to do us any favours. Faksa would be great, but I don't know why Dallas would want to part with him either. Rebulding teams don't typically want to trade away good young 6'3" players who are performing well.

Again, I'm pretty sure no one actually wants Bozak or Bonino. Talking about being able to acquire Bonino for Brassard isn't an endorsement of bringing in Bonino, or at least I certainly hope it's not.

I've been pretty adamant about wanting someone like Danault, Faksa or Jarnkrok. Tierney is another good example, if the Penguins could pull him off, I'd definitely be interested. Ditto Pageau. I definitely do not want more 30+ players signed long term for a lot of money.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
Again, I'm pretty sure no one actually wants Bozak or Bonino. Talking about being able to acquire Bonino for Brassard isn't an endorsement of bringing in Bonino, or at least I certainly hope it's not.

I've been pretty adamant about wanting someone like Danault, Faksa or Jarnkrok. Tierney is another good example, if the Penguins could pull him off, I'd definitely be interested. Ditto Pageau. I definitely do not want more 30+ players signed long term for a lot of money.
I think everyone wants those kind of guys. I really question how we can get that kind of player though. I would be shocked if it happens without trading away someone we really don't want to trade away.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com

Brent Burns contract is an atrocity and everyone has said that since it was signed.

Also, one good game by Carter doesn’t suddenly change his play this year.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I think everyone wants those kind of guys. I really question how we can get that kind of player though. I would be shocked if it happens without trading away someone we really don't want to trade away.

I'd ride out the year with Brassard as the 3C and then look to use Maatta as a trade chip for one of those kind of players after the year is over.

Reactions: EightyOne

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I will be surprised if Maatta can get us one of those guys. I'd love to be wrong.

I would be surprised if Maatta couldn't get one of those guys. Maatta's a middle pair 2-way defenseman that has a fantastic resume, I definitely think he is highly regarded around the league. I don't know that you can get someone like Danault (since he's probably a 2C at this point), but you can definitely get a Faksa type of player for him. I'm pretty confident you can get a fringe 2C/3C for Maatta if you actually wanted to move Maatta, top-4 puck movers are always in high demand.

Ogrezilla

Nerf Herder
Jul 5, 2009
Pittsburgh
I would be surprised if Maatta couldn't get one of those guys. Maatta's a middle pair 2-way defenseman that has a fantastic resume, I definitely think he is highly regarded around the league. I don't know that you can get someone like Danault (since he's probably a 2C at this point), but you can definitely get a Faksa type of player for him.
that'd be nice. Like I said, I hope you're right. And step 1 is I hope we'd be willing to move Maatta in the first place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad