Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Born in a hurricane with a snake in both fists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
Is Hoffman something we really need for his style, cost to acquire and cap hit?

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I’m very thankful for you KIRK. Last thing: Could it happen before the trade freeze?

It is my understanding that one shouldn't expect a deal before the freeze. Nothing seems imminent as of early AM.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The issues with saying "why didn't we add Pouliot in the offseason?"

1. It pretends Pouliot would have picked the Penguins over the Sabres "just because". It pretends that player role has no factor here. On Buffalo, Pouliot could be a top-6 forward for them because Buffalo sucks on LW. On Pittsburgh, there was a very real possibility for him to be a 4th liner here. He had a worse season last year than Hagelin did.
2. It pretends the Penguins had a need on LW in the first place. The Penguins would have been better off just re-signing Kunitz if they thought they needed another LWer. Instead, they were confident enough in their team at LW that they let Kunitz walk and later traded Wilson for Sheahan.
3. It pretends that people here wouldn't have been mad that JR was wasting over $1 million dollars on a reclamation player he didn't need.

Called hindsight. People that argue or complain based on hindsight aren't arguing from a position of logic or knowledge.

Want the ultimate hindsight discussion? Let's look at current VGK performance vs expansion draft lists from July. You think there's a team or two that would do things different? My god...Flordia and Columbus fans should be on riot or suicide watch. I don't know which.

I cant remember who said it, but there was a report that Bergevin didnt want to deal Galchenyuk to the Pens. He didnt want to deal with criticism from the media and fans. Stuff like, If the defending champs trust/play Galchenyuk at centre then what was the problem in Montreal. Not sure I believe it but worth knowing.

I mean, that's a big part of the "game within the game" for GMs. How do I make my team better without making another team better? I mean, look at the Letang to Toronto trade proposals...why would JR want to send a #1D to Toronto...I team that is currently one of the top teams in the league and a team we may have to play in the playoffs. So I get that some GMs won't trade certain players to certain teams. Why would anyone do us a favor? 2016, all three trades were from the western conference. 2017, it was Hainsey but it's not like that was a big addition at the time. Galchenyuk comes here and turns it around...Bergevin would be crucified, especially if the trade was for magic beans.

I think we are going to have to look at a team that's struggling mightily who may want to relieve themselves on a contract. Ottawa and Brassard or Oilers with RNH are both in that mold.

Does nothing but ***** about Rutherford's summer. Move on, my God.

You got to wonder at what point will the mods consider what any of them are doing as trolling or threadjacking. Hell, could even be spamming at this point. Even though I have several of (((them))) on ignore, I still have to wade through everyone else's replies to them. And it's the same shit over and over and over. I'm sick of it and I'm sure a lot of other people are too.

Was reading the comments on Ryan's latest blog and a couple people there said their friends in Ottawa texted them that the Pens are currently in discussions with OTT to acquire Bobby Ryan and Brassard. Apparently that's the scuttlebutt there.

Obviously that would mean salary would have to go out or be retained. Hags? I'm not a big fan of that deal...two older players with salary. I hope this is not true or doesn't materialize

Brassard for Hagelin+picks I could see happening. I can't even begin to fathom how Ryan fits into the equation. He was good against us in the playoffs but I can't see a fit for him here.

It wouldn't surprise me though if taking on at least part of Ryan's contract was the cost of doing business with OTT, at least for the Pens. They so want to move on from it....

Even at 50% retention...I still can't see a place here. Sheary+Sheahan+Hagelin for Brassard+Ryan (% retained to make caps even)...I mean...I'm not even sure I do that.

Reactions: ZeroPucksGiven

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Shall I call you Ishmael?

That's better than what most call me. :thumbu:

EDIT: I can't confirm any names because I was specifically asked. But, is Hoffman a LW or a RW, because he's listed as RW in the daily faceoff line combos? And, does he add some jam?

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
It is my understanding that one shouldn't expect a deal before the freeze. Nothing seems imminent as of early AM.

If Ottawa is selling someone like Hoffman we probably won't see that happen until the TDL. Or if it did happen now, the price would be gigantic and nobody here would like it.

The earlier JR wants to make a trade the more he is gonna have to pay because those teams could just as easily hold onto those assets until the TDL.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Okay. So many thanks KIRK.

My ideal deal for Hoffman:

Sprong
Hagelin
Filip Gustavsson(remember OTT want Oettinger at draft)
2018 1st/2nd

for

Hoffman

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
OTT is just very interesting to me and probably JR too if they're looking to unload to eventually pay EK. Sometimes slow rolling things can have it's benefit. We'll see what unfolds.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

EDIT: I can't confirm any names because I was specifically asked. But, is Hoffman a LW or a RW, because he's listed as RW in the daily faceoff line combos? And, does he add some jam?
He’s a LW.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011

Ugh please don't tell me we're getting Burrows.

The only other Sen listed as a LW that JR would even think about getting is Zack Smith and he's more of a center anyways I think.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Okay. So many thanks KIRK.

My ideal deal for Hoffman:

Sprong
Hagelin
Filip Gustavsson(remember OTT want Oettinger at draft)
2018 1st/2nd

for

Hoffman

Didn't say they're selling Hoffman. Didn't not say it. But, I didn't even know he was a LW . . . :laugh:

Big offer . . .

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017

I think you read that wrong mate. He’s on the LW.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Didn't say they're selling Hoffman. Didn't not say it. But, I didn't even know he was a LW . . . :laugh:

Big offer . . .
Big offer but an offer I believe JR would makes. Hoffman has a top 10 release in the league.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
I don't know if they'd go after Hoffman because Hoffman is basically a better version of what Sprong might become. Sure, it would be amazing to get a player like that, but the Penguins do already have Sheary and Guentzel on LW. I don't think Hoffman solves the issues with a lack of grit on the wings.

If we're going after a LWer from Ottawa, I'd want Smith to be honest. He's the guy that fills the biggest need for the Penguins in terms of LWers: a defensively responsible and physical winger for Malkin. Plus, he has the bonus of being really good at faceoffs, so he could take faceoffs for Malkin.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Also OTT has a ton of NMC/NTC guys and PIT is probably on most if not all of their OK lists. Sorta/kinda like the Phil situation. Anyhow, like i said. OTT is interesting atm. Especially if GMGM ain't gonna budge anytime soon.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I don't know if they'd go after Hoffman because Hoffman is basically a better version of what Sprong might become. Sure, it would be amazing to get a player like that, but the Penguins do already have Sheary and Guentzel on LW. I don't think Hoffman solves the issues with a lack of grit on the wings.

If we're going after a LWer from Ottawa, I'd want Smith to be honest. He's the guy that fills the biggest need for the Penguins in terms of LWers: a defensively responsible and physical winger for Malkin. Plus, he has the bonus of being really good at faceoffs, so he could take faceoffs for Malkin.

The Penguins don't have a LW to play with Malkin on the roster. A guy like Jake can have a little run where it sort of works, but there's no LW to maximize the ES scoring and possession potential you have with the Geno-Phil combo. I still think it needs to be someone with a little jam.

Pancakes

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2011
The Penguins don't have a LW to play with Malkin on the roster. A guy like Jake can have a little run where it sort of works, but there's no LW to maximize the ES scoring and possession potential you have with the Geno-Phil combo. I still think it needs to be someone with a little jam.

Nobody on Ottawa really fits that bill unless we're looking at a guy like Burrows or Smith and I don't consider either of them to be huge moves.

I guess if it was something like Brassard/Smith or Brass/Burrows for a big package that might be a different story. I could see Ott going for that, but I shudder at the price if it's done way before the TDL like JR prefers to do.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
Yet another interesing thing is OTT doesn't have a 1st or 2nd rd pick this upcoming draft. Yea, JR, get them on speed dial, bud...

ETA: Correction, they do have a 1st if it's top 10 but they'd lose their 2019 1st.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017

Smith would be good, too. I’d love him here. Let’s compare the two with stats.

Hoffman:
31GP
9G, 13A, -10
482 CF, 450 CA, 51.7 CF%, 4.6 CF% rel
364 FF, 324 FA, 52.9 FF%, 4.9 FF% rel
95.9 PDO
57OZ to 43DZ

Smith:
22GP
2G, 6A, -12
294 CF, 298 CA, 49.7 CF%, 1.3 CF% rel
231 FF, 220 FA, 51.2 FF%, 1.8 FF% rel
93.4 PDO
55OZ to 45 DZ

Rakell67

Sep 28, 2017
PA

Stone?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

You sir, are the fuel that keep this board going. Just have to determine if that is a good thing.

Reactions: KIRK
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad