Salary Cap: Salary Cap & Roster Building | Born in a hurricane with a snake in both fists

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
And I’m also assuming if we lose tonight it will speed things up drastically.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
And I’m also assuming if we lose tonight it will speed things up drastically.

Not really. What happened against the Avs last Monday was the trigger. JR stopped inquiring and started pursuing right there, but, the claims of one notwithstanding, it's not a video game . . . you still have to find the dance partners, and finding them isn't always a given simply because you're pursuing aggressively, right @Scandale du Jour? :sarcasm:

Shaffer

GuentzGoal
May 20, 2017
Not really. What happened against the Avs last Monday was the trigger. JR stopped inquiring and started pursuing right there, but, the claims of one notwithstanding, it's not a video game . . . you still have to find the dance partners, and finding them isn't always a given simply because you're pursuing aggressively, right @Scandale du Jour? :sarcasm:
Thank God JR cleaned off his glasses.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Well, when I pursue, it works. When JR pursues it can give you Kessel or it can give you Reaves. So yeah, right dancer partner and all.

Reactions: KIRK

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
Letang + , for Karlsson ;) in my dreams....

Mine too. Our cost-controlled guy to a team in financial flux in exchange for one of the greatest Dmen in a long time. I don't even know how much it would help in the end, but at least we'd go out with a bang this era, because it's starting to seem like that might be the best we can hope for from now until the cycle starts all over.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The Penguins don't have a LW to play with Malkin on the roster. A guy like Jake can have a little run where it sort of works, but there's no LW to maximize the ES scoring and possession potential you have with the Geno-Phil combo. I still think it needs to be someone with a little jam.

There's a lot of potential targets out there with "a little jam".

My thoughts:

Brassard as a 3C
Hoffman as a LW
Ryan as a RW/LW
Stone has jam
Smith is a do-all that has some speed and jam

Kane ABSOLUTELY has jam and adds to several areas of the roster.
Maroon
Pageau seems like a terrific target at 3C
Pouliot has some grit

There's a lot of guys who fit that criteria that would make a lot of sense for us. I don't see Ryan being a fit at all. I just can't fathom what the framework of a trade would be with him and I'm not sure I want to. Sorry but unless I see a confirmed rumor by Mac or someone, I'm not buying into Ryan. Several others, sure.

Check out this mega pipedream trade:

To OTT

Letang
RNH
Puljujavri
Sheary
Yamamoto
EDM 1st
PIT 1st cond (resiging of Ceci. Sign, 1st. No sign, 2nd)

To PIT

Hoffman
Ceci
Pageau

To EDM

Karlsson

OTT trade Karlsson, Hoffman, Ceci, Pageau for Letang, RNH, Puljujarvi, Sheary, and 2 1sts

PIT trades Letang, Sheary, 1st for Ceci, Pageau, and Hoffman

EDM trades RNH, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, 1st for Karlsson

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house
I don't think I see Ottawa doing much. Any team, barring a basement dweller trying to give their fans something watch, will not want Ryan. Then you start getting into guys like Hoffman and Stone. Are they really going to dismantle the entire team just because this season is effed? I highly doubt it. They have some legit pieces. They're pretty much already out of it, but if Duchene gets comfortable the team will end the year on an upward trajectory. No need to start going crazy with trades.

I would maybe take Oduya off of them for a 6th rounder.

WayneSid9987

Nov 24, 2009
I don't think I see Ottawa doing much. Any team, barring a basement dweller trying to give their fans something watch, will not want Ryan. Then you start getting into guys like Hoffman and Stone. Are they really going to dismantle the entire team just because this season is effed? I highly doubt it. They have some legit pieces. They're pretty much already out of it, but if Duchene gets comfortable the team will end the year on an upward trajectory. No need to start going crazy with trades.

I would maybe take Oduya off of them for a 6th rounder.

It seems like Melnyk isn't having much fun nowadays(recent outdoor game interview) and may look to unload $. Not only to afford EK but to lighten his costs overall. Friedman reported that they've asked all their NTC/NMC guys to re-submit their lists last weekend or something to that effect. They've done it before and sold off a bunch of guys back when Spezza was dealt, etc.

Like i said if ^ is the case, JR should have Dorion on speed dial. Other than LV and maybe FLA, OTT has the best of what JR would want/need, imo.

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
It seems like Melnyk isn't having much fun nowadays(recent outdoor game interview) and may look to unload $. Not only to afford EK but to lighten his costs overall. Friedman reported that they've asked all their NTC/NMC guys to re-submit their lists last weekend or something to that effect. They've done it before and sold off a bunch of guys back when Spezza was dealt, etc.

Like i said if ^ is the case, JR should have Dorion on speed dial. Other than LV and maybe FLA, OTT has the best of what JR would want/need, imo.

the only issue is that particular owner hates the Pens and probably wouldnt want to help them out... I feel like he is nuts enough to cut off his nose to spite our faces lol

cheesedanish87

Jun 27, 2012
Pittsburgh
If the Sens(or any other team) want to cut payroll then a trade with the Pens isn't going to work, if the pens are trading for a player making over a million it needs to be money in and money out.

It would make more sense for the Sens to trade with a team like CBJ who have cap space to take on salary without having to send money out.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I don’t really understand your hate on the ES totals. A lot of the players are looking to produce right around where they did last year if I’m reading your numbers right?

Obviously, the team is having issues with ES, but according to your totals the only significant differences are Sheary and Crosby.

Uhh what? If that's what you're getting out of that, then you're not reading the numbers right - the totals there are their raw totals. Malkin missed 20 games. Sheary missed time, and Guentzel only played half the season.

As for my hard on for their lack of ES production... when 70-80% of the game is played at ES... and a team with the offense we have (at least on paper) can't score at ES... that's a big f***ing deal. If it wasn't for our PP, we wouldn't even be near the rest of our division or still within range of a PO spot. If our PP was as "good" as Boston's (19.8%), that would mean 8 less PP goals. Considering how little we've been scoring, how many games wouldn't we have gotten points in if we had a worse PP? That's probably good for at least 4-5 points - if not more. 4-5 less points would put us at the bottom of the Metro.

Bottom line is this. If you cannot score at ES, you're not going to win anything.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Ottawa could make an interesting trade partner. I wonder if Andy might be right about the talks but wrong about one or both targets . . . :popcorn:

They certainly have some interesting players. Brassard, Pageau, Smith, Hoffman...

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Is Hoffman something we really need for his style, cost to acquire and cap hit?

Part of me says no. Part of me says with how our team can't score, almost everyone would help. The realist in me realizes that unless Crosby and Malkin get their shit together it won't matter who we acquire.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Brassard for Hagelin+picks I could see happening. I can't even begin to fathom how Ryan fits into the equation. He was good against us in the playoffs but I can't see a fit for him here.

The money is roughly the same... those picks would be like Sprong+1st at the bare minimum, considering the value difference between Brassard and Hagelin, and the fact that Brassard is the only other top 2 center that Ottawa has.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I brought this up earlier; I really think Hagelin for Ryan (with Ottawa eating ~25%) would be an interesting move that fits JR's style. Ryan is a bit of a reclamation project that we could buy for pennies on the dollar, but the guy has size and hands for days.

UnderratedBrooks44

Sep 13, 2005
Miranda's house

As cheesedanish explained, we can't really help a team unload salary since we have no cap room. I think what you're saying is spot on if we somehow clear $4-5 million in cap, but I don't see it personally. Of course, I think Hoffman is awesome so I'm willing to dream.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
As cheesedanish explained, we can't really help a team unload salary since we have no cap room. I think what you're saying is spot on if we somehow clear $4-5 million in cap, but I don't see it personally. Of course, I think Hoffman is awesome so I'm willing to dream.

We can do short term dollars out for long term dollars in. That's the flexibility they would need to sign EK.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
OTT trade Karlsson, Hoffman, Ceci, Pageau for Letang, RNH, Puljujarvi, Sheary, and 2 1sts

PIT trades Letang, Sheary, 1st for Ceci, Pageau, and Hoffman

EDM trades RNH, Puljujarvi, Yamamoto, 1st for Karlsson

Letang, Sheary and a 1st for Ceci, Pageau and Hoffamn... that's basically Letang and a 1st for Ceci and Hoffman. I don't think I'd do that. In fact I'm pretty sure I wouldn't. But then I'm not much of a Ceci fan.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
I brought this up earlier; I really think Hagelin for Ryan (with Ottawa eating ~25%) would be an interesting move that fits JR's style. Ryan is a bit of a reclamation project that we could buy for pennies on the dollar, but the guy has size and hands for days.

Stay away from that contract (even at 25% retention). Everything would have to work out perfect for it to be a good deal.

It’s more likely that we’d be stuck with a very bad contract than it working out for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad