Haula
Eakin

To VGK:
Kamenev
Greer
2019 second
2020 third

This seems like a fair proposal.

The thing is, I can't see VGK unloading both Eakin and Haula. Center depth has been their strength, so it's not likely they move out 2 of them until Glass gets a lot of NHL games under his belt. I think the cap crunch is a bit overstated (depending on the final cap number) and VGK can easily get to around 82-83m by the season opener next September.
I think it all depends on who shows up in the playoffs, and who is willing to take discounts to stay.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
This seems like a fair proposal.

The thing is, I can't see VGK unloading both Eakin and Haula. Center depth has been their strength, so it's not likely they move out 2 of them until Glass gets a lot of NHL games under his belt. I think the cap crunch is a bit overstated (depending on the final cap number) and VGK can easily get to around 82-83m by the season opener next September.
I think it all depends on who shows up in the playoffs, and who is willing to take discounts to stay.

I as well as many people I talk to (I live in Calgary) believe that you guys are the team to look out for in the West, so assuming things go how I think they will (expecting Western conference finals) there could definitely be some increases in pay because of this. I think Eakin is the most likely to be moved and would still love for him to be moved to the Avs.

Aurinko

Apr 1, 2015
Finland
I would expect Oilers to have interest in Eakin and Hurricanes to Haula. Eakin would bring a lot of balance to the chaos and Haula fit into Canes fast paced game.

Both might offer really good deals, plus I don't see them as a threat to Knights.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
Why would VGK want Kamenev or Greer? Greer is looking like a sure fire bust. He may do better with a different team as Bednar seems to have lost faith in the kid. Greer doesn't fit in the VGK system. He is a hard worker, but his speed and skill is at best a 4th liner. He is a poor man's Ryan Carpenter.

Will Kamenev ever be healthy? At best he's a 4th liner for VGK. The draft picks are more valuable than those two guys.

Eakin and Haula are no worse than middle six forwards for the Avs and both could be 2nd liners. Eakin wins face offs, plays great defense, plays great on the pk, and is one goal away from 20 goals and if he had better linemates or just the same linemates every night, he'd easily have 25. His contract is fair and he'd likely sign an extension as Denver would be a great fit for his lifestyle. Haula can play wing and center and is great on the power play. His contract is phenomenal right now and his raise won't be that much. And at least he'll come back from this injury. Can they same be said about Kamenev? Granted he's had bad luck with injuries, but other prospects are passing him and on a team with no depth he still would be fighting for playing time and is one more bad season from going home to the khl.

And Vegas likely would rather have dman prospects than forwards unless they are actually top 6 potential and you want 2 sure fire middle 6 players that could be on the 2nd line and both special teams units would get a solid boost as well.

Does Vegas need to shed some cash? Yes, but they will likely find better offers than the trash prospects you're offering with picks that are more likely to end up as a bottom 6 forward or a bottom pairing dman at best.

I still watch quite a bit of Avs games and those two prospects are trash and both could be out of the Avs organization if they fail to stick next year.

Last edited:

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think we have to cash in on Eakin while his value goes up and keep Haula because he won't be any less value as a rental than he would be as a player who would be coming back from injury. I think we should trade each so we could get the most value but keep Haula going into the season so he can build his value.

Reactions: The Duck Knight

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to post it here since this is related to management. IMO it is nothing short of fantastic what your management team has been able to accomplish in 2 years. Naturally my team is looking for a new GM and hasn't had a good one in well, 20+ years. My question is, what in your opinion makes your teams management as solid as they are? McCrimmon is rumored to be a potential candidate for our GM position, what do you guys and gals know about him and his role in the org? GMGM not giving us permission to talk to him until after your season ends tells me that he is valued highly by upper management.

BattleBorn

50% to winning as many division titles as Toronto
Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Hey guys, I wasn't sure where to post this so I decided to post it here since this is related to management. IMO it is nothing short of fantastic what your management team has been able to accomplish in 2 years. Naturally my team is looking for a new GM and hasn't had a good one in well, 20+ years. My question is, what in your opinion makes your teams management as solid as they are? McCrimmon is rumored to be a potential candidate for our GM position, what do you guys and gals know about him and his role in the org? GMGM not giving us permission to talk to him until after your season ends tells me that he is valued highly by upper management.
McCrimmon is our low key secret weapon. The story that was told was that when VGK management was going through the expansion draft preparations, McPhee took half the teams and McCrimmon took the other half. Whenever something needs to happen, McPhee and McCrimmon have a powwow. When Foley is in the arena, McPhee is on side side and McCrimmon is right there.

I think he's very important to the organization. I've got a feeling Seattle is going to take a long look at him, and I'm not sure he's in the market to leave Las Vegas. I'm guessing McPhee's got a blank check to keep him around if it comes down to it.

So, the questions are... Does Kelly want to leave Las Vegas? He's passed on AGM positions with Canadian teams (Toronto being one) prior to taking the Vegas job. Was it not the right situation or did he just not want to stay in the cold?

Would Katz let McCrimmon keep ownership of the Wheat Kings while he's the GM of the Oilers? Apparently some owners have an issue with that. Would McCrimmon have the time to do his WHL Board of Governors stuff while being the GM of the Oil?

Would you outspend Seattle if Seattle is interested? McCrimmon is the only GM candidate (outside of McPhee) with modern-day organizational development and expansion draft experience, he's got to top their list unless they're going with a guy with a name for GM like Holland (which I think would be stupid.)

Plus, and no offense intended, Edmonton is kind of a dumpster fire. McDavid is great, but there's a lot of work involved it getting that organization back on track. Would you leave (what looks like) a wide open window with a team that's covered in your fingerprints to try for a turnaround in Edmonton? Especially when it seems like he's got plenty of dough and had full control of his own hockey team for a while in Brandon.

I hope he stays, but I'm really excited to see what he does.

Last edited:
Reactions: Bryanbryoil

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Correct me if I have it wrong, but arn’t the Wheat Kings his first priority? I don’t think he will ever sell the team for any GM job.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
McCrimmon is our low key secret weapon. The story that was told was that when VGK management was going through the expansion draft preparations, McPhee took half the teams and McCrimmon took the other half. Whenever something needs to happen, McPhee and McCrimmon have a powwow. When Foley is in the arena, McPhee is on side side and McCrimmon is right there.

I think he's very important to the organization. I've got a feeling Seattle is going to take a long look at him, and I'm not sure he's in the market to leave Las Vegas. I'm guessing McPhee's got a blank check to keep him around if it comes down to it.

So, the questions are... Does Kelly want to leave Las Vegas? He's passed on AGM positions with Canadian teams (Toronto being one) prior to taking the Vegas job. Was it not the right situation or did he just not want to stay in the cold?

Would Katz let McCrimmon keep ownership of the Wheat Kings while he's the GM of the Oilers? Apparently some owners have an issue with that. Would McCrimmon have the time to do his WHL Board of Governors stuff while being the GM of the Oil?

Would you outspend Seattle if Seattle is interested? McCrimmon is the only GM candidate (outside of McPhee) with modern-day organizational development and expansion draft experience, he's got to top their list unless they're going with a guy with a name for GM like Holland (which I think would be stupid.)

Plus, and no offense intended, Edmonton is kind of a dumpster fire. McDavid is great, but there's a lot of work involved it getting that organization back on track. Would you leave (what looks like) a wide open window with a team that's covered in your fingerprints to try for a turnaround in Edmonton? Especially when it seems like he's got plenty of dough and had full control of his own hockey team for a while in Brandon.

I hope he stays, but I'm really excited to see what he does.

Thanks for the info. It sounds like he has what it takes to be a GM in the league based on what you are saying. As for why he'd consider Edmonton, well if he did a great job he would have a chance to be seen in a very favorable light as a GM and most quality GM's can build cup winning or at least contending teams around guys like McDavid. Some people like having the title/notoriety, final say, etc. If he is content in his current position then outside of $, I don't see why he'd leave. As for the potential issue of him owning his own WHL team, that could be interesting seeing as our owner also owns a WHL team. I don't think that it'd be an issue, but who knows?

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
If I were him I'd go to seattle instead of edmonton. It looks like a terrible job. What if the rumors are true and McJesus wants out if they miss the playoffs next year? Then he's got the unenviable job of being the guy who has to trade him.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
Thanks for the info. It sounds like he has what it takes to be a GM in the league based on what you are saying. As for why he'd consider Edmonton, well if he did a great job he would have a chance to be seen in a very favorable light as a GM and most quality GM's can build cup winning or at least contending teams around guys like McDavid. Some people like having the title/notoriety, final say, etc. If he is content in his current position then outside of $, I don't see why he'd leave. As for the potential issue of him owning his own WHL team, that could be interesting seeing as our owner also owns a WHL team. I don't think that it'd be an issue, but who knows?
I agree with everything you've said.

Perhaps it's me being on the outside looking in, but Edmonton seems like a tough, tough job. Hockey mad city with a pretty huge rebuild coming on and (from what I've seen) a fanbase with little appetite for a rebuild while they're sitting there with the best player in hockey plugging away through his (likely) prime years. Hell, the new GM is going to have critics even outside of the Edmonton fanbase due to the McDavid factor. Crazy media, passionate fans, weather, and coming in somewhat late in the process for finding a new coach and preparing for the coming draft, etc.. That situation only gets worse by the day. It seems like whoever the next GM of the Oilers is, their first day in the head office starts with their seat already a little warm.

It's a tough sell to any potential GM. Let alone a current AGM like McCrimmon sitting in a warm weather, newly hockey mad city with an open cup window, friendly media, and an owner that's willing to do anything and everything to keep everyone involved with the organization happy.

While I think Seattle would be stupid to go with an experienced GM with a good name over someone like McCrimmon, I think the exact opposite for Edmonton. You guys need a guy that's been around the block a few times that can get a year or two of reprieve from the fans and media based on past success and experience alone. Who the candidate that fits that bill is, I don't know.

Again, I'm outside looking in. The situation may actually be completely different than I see it.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
I agree with everything you've said.

Perhaps it's me being on the outside looking in, but Edmonton seems like a tough, tough job. Hockey mad city with a pretty huge rebuild coming on and (from what I've seen) a fanbase with little appetite for a rebuild while they're sitting there with the best player in hockey plugging away through his (likely) prime years. Hell, the new GM is going to have critics even outside of the Edmonton fanbase due to the McDavid factor. Crazy media, passionate fans, weather, and coming in somewhat late in the process for finding a new coach and preparing for the coming draft, etc.. That situation only gets worse by the day. It seems like whoever the next GM of the Oilers is, their first day in the head office starts with their seat already a little warm.

It's a tough sell to any potential GM. Let alone a current AGM like McCrimmon sitting in a warm weather, newly hockey mad city with an open cup window, friendly media, and an owner that's willing to do anything and everything to keep everyone involved with the organization happy.

While I think Seattle would be stupid to go with an experienced GM with a good name over someone like McCrimmon, I think the exact opposite for Edmonton. You guys need a guy that's been around the block a few times that can get a year or two of reprieve from the fans and media based on past success and experience alone. Who the candidate that fits that bill is, I don't know.

Again, I'm outside looking in. The situation may actually be completely different than I see it.

We have Keith Gretzky that will be running the draft and for the most part he has done a good job since being put in that position here. So that is one less concern for the new GM at least immediately for the upcoming draft. I don't think that a rebuild is in order in the sense of stockpiling picks and pissing away the next 2-3 seasons to get to the playoffs. What we need is a GM that can identify NHL talent that can take the next step on our team, basically exactly what was done in Vegas with the expansion draft and since.

There will indeed be pressure, anyone saying otherwise would be naive. That said not many teams have a 1-2 punch like Connor and Leon locked up long term and our prospect cupboard is the best that it's been in a very long time specifically on defense.

Chiarelli was an established GM and for me I'd much rather a McCrimmon than a Holland. We need someone with recent success in the new NHL or at least someone that tracks that way if we decide to go with Hunter from London.

Reactions: BattleBorn

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
We have Keith Gretzky that will be running the draft and for the most part he has done a good job since being put in that position here. So that is one less concern for the new GM at least immediately for the upcoming draft. I don't think that a rebuild is in order in the sense of stockpiling picks and pissing away the next 2-3 seasons to get to the playoffs. What we need is a GM that can identify NHL talent that can take the next step on our team, basically exactly what was done in Vegas with the expansion draft and since.

There will indeed be pressure, anyone saying otherwise would be naive. That said not many teams have a 1-2 punch like Connor and Leon locked up long term and our prospect cupboard is the best that it's been in a very long time specifically on defense.

Chiarelli was an established GM and for me I'd much rather a McCrimmon than a Holland. We need someone with recent success in the new NHL or at least someone that tracks that way if we decide to go with Hunter from London.
For sure, I'm sure they've got wheels turning for the draft and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I'm just saying that the closer it gets, the more you're depending on a (potential) lame duck running the scouting and draft preparations. While it's not a lost draft to the organization, it's a lost draft for the new GM that's coming into a potentially tough situation. If I'm coming in, I don't want to waste a season's worth of drafts, especially since there's a timer from day one.

It seems tough to me, but you definitely know the situation better than I.

I also listen to too many hockey podcasts and have a pretty bleak view of the hockey world in Edmonton when it comes to the off the ice stuff, so I've got some definite bias that makes me think an up and comer would think twice about taking their shot there. First time GMs that stumble on their first shot tend to not get second shots.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
For sure, I'm sure they've got wheels turning for the draft and I didn't mean to imply otherwise. I'm just saying that the closer it gets, the more you're depending on a (potential) lame duck running the scouting and draft preparations. While it's not a lost draft to the organization, it's a lost draft for the new GM that's coming into a potentially tough situation. If I'm coming in, I don't want to waste a season's worth of drafts, especially since there's a timer from day one.

It seems tough to me, but you definitely know the situation better than I.

I also listen to too many hockey podcasts and have a pretty bleak view of the hockey world in Edmonton when it comes to the off the ice stuff, so I've got some definite bias that makes me think an up and comer would think twice about taking their shot there. First time GMs that stumble on their first shot tend to not get second shots.

I hear you. I also think that it's entirely possible that we trade off draft picks for immediate help if our new GM has "hidden gems" that he wants to target.

It isn't easy for sure, but a good GM could turn things around in a hurry.

The bottom line is that as long as we employ plugs like MacTavish in management just because he played for us 30 years ago we won't be the organization that we could be. IMO if I'm McCrimmon, I tell Katz that I only come on board if I get to decide who stays and who goes and who my new staff will be.

BattleBorn

Feb 6, 2015
Bellevue, WA
I hear you. I also think that it's entirely possible that we trade off draft picks for immediate help if our new GM has "hidden gems" that he wants to target.

It isn't easy for sure, but a good GM could turn things around in a hurry.

The bottom line is that as long as we employ plugs like MacTavish in management just because he played for us 30 years ago we won't be the organization that we could be. IMO if I'm McCrimmon, I tell Katz that I only come on board if I get to decide who stays and who goes and who my new staff will be.
And, take this with no disrespect, the fact that you'd even need to mention that is one of the major strikes against taking the position.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
And, take this with no disrespect, the fact that you'd even need to mention that is one of the major strikes against taking the position.

Naturally, the more GM candidates saying this needs to be the case MIGHT just get through our owners thick skull, if not I'd tell him to find another fall guy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad