Salary Cap Discussion

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I thought since we have a few new contracts that are on the cap that we could have a thread to discuss the salary cap and how it affects the team. Since I think this team is a cap team.

Contracts.
Reaves- 2.775M/ 1 year
Eakin- 3.85M/ 1 year
Haula- 2.75M/ 1 year
Stastny- 6.5M/ 2 years
Smith- 5M/ 3 years
Marchessault- 5M/ 5 years
Carrier- .725M/ 1 year
Zykov- .675M/ 1 year
Miller- 3.875M/ 3 years
Theodore- 5.2M/ 6 years
McNabb- 2.5M/ 3 years
Merrill- 1.38M/ 1 year
Holden- 2.2M/ 1 year
Dansk- .675M/ 1 year
Clarkson- 5.25M/ 1 year (LTIR)

Contracts kicking in.
Pacioretty- 7M/ 4 years
Stone- 9.5M/ 8 years
Tuch- 4.75M/ 7 years
Schmidt- 5.95M/ 6 years
Fleury- 7M/ 3 years

ELC.
Glass- .925M/ 3 years
Gusev- .925M/ 1 year
Hague- .823M/ 3 years
Whitecloud- .925M/ 2 years
Bischoff- .834M/ 1 year

Retained Salary.
Tatar- .530M/ 2 years

Needing Contracts.
Karlsson (RFA)
Pirri
Nosek (RFA)
Carpenter
Carr
Bellemare
Engelland
Subban (RFA)
Lagace (RFA)
Fucale (RFA)

Last edited:

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Don't forget Clarkson on IR. He can be placed on summer LTIR but there's a little more to it than that.

Patches is signed for 4 years after this. Tuch is signed for 7 more years.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Don't forget Clarkson on IR. He can be placed on summer LTIR but there's a little more to it than that.

Patches is signed for 4 years after this. Tuch is signed for 7 more years.

Sorry, did a little more research and I think it is more complete list but if anything else needs correcting feel free to chime in with a catch.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Sorry, did a little more research and I think it is more complete list but if anything else needs correcting feel free to chime in with a catch.

Just go to capfriendly.com and screenshot the team page next time. ;)

You can also post a lineup in the armchairGM section with player signings and trades.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Just go to capfriendly.com and screenshot the team page next time. ;)

You can also post a lineup in the armchairGM section with player signings and trades.

Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll look in to those websites.

Looking at it I have been thinking of Smith as the odd man out but I think it makes more sense to keep Smith and trade Pacioretty, as cold as that may be. Smith brings almost as many points, but fewer goals, but much more to the team all around 2M less than Pacioretty and unlikely to regress any more than Pacioretty might.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Thanks for the feedback, I think I'll look in to those websites.

Looking at it I have been thinking of Smith as the odd man out but I think it makes more sense to keep Smith and trade Pacioretty, as cold as that may be. Smith brings almost as many points, but fewer goals, but much more to the team all around 2M less than Pacioretty and unlikely to regress any more than Pacioretty might.

Holden and Smith gone would clear over 7m next year, and they wouldn't be giving up a guy who could potentially score 40 with Glass and Stone. Especially after the Tatar fiasco.

I think we'll all have a better take after the playoffs though.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Holden and Smith gone would clear over 7m next year, and they wouldn't be giving up a guy who could potentially score 40 with Glass and Stone. Especially after the Tatar fiasco.

I think we'll all have a better take after the playoffs though.

I think this is a good problem for the team to have, if Miller can establish himself as a top 4 defenseman then this team can really be in business.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Would it be worth the while to see if a rebuilding team would take on the Clarkson contract or would that cost too much?

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019
Would it be worth the while to see if a rebuilding team would take on the Clarkson contract or would that cost too much?

My other team (ugghh) - the Sens have an owner that will be hard pressed to meet the cap minimum and shipping off Clarkson + a pick to him would likely viewed positively. LTIR counts against the cap and is paid out by insurance - which is exactly what a cheap SOB like Eugene Melnyk wants. I suspect he will be taking on a number of contracts like this.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
After the Stone extension, they have a little over 5m to extend players until the new salary cap is made official in June (current salary cap + 10% is all they can commit to for next season as of now).

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
nodsJsl.jpg

Less than 82m with 3-4m in bonuses on top.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
nodsJsl.jpg

Less than 82m with 3-4m in bonuses on top.

Hague and Engelland as a top 4 pairing is weak point in this lineup. I am not sure that defense could make a Cup Final.

We could also get rid of Eakin and Haula/ Reaves and keep Nosek or use Glass.

Marchessault- Glass- Smith might be a great way to throw Glass in the NHL against other third lines.

Or you could go with Marchessault- Haula- Smith and Carrier- Bellemare- Carpenter/ Nosek.

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019
I thought since we have a few new contracts that are on the cap that we could have a thread to discuss the salary cap and how it affects the team. Since I think this team is a cap team.

Contracts.
Reaves- 2.775M/ 1 year
Eakin- 3.85M/ 1 year
Haula- 2.75M/ 1 year
Stastny- 6.5M/ 2 years
Smith- 5M/ 3 years
Marchessault- 5M/ 5 years
Carrier- .725M/ 1 year
Zykov- .675M/ 1 year
Miller- 3.875M/ 3 years
Theodore- 5.2M/ 6 years
McNabb- 2.5M/ 3 years
Merrill- 1.38M/ 1 year
Holden- 2.2M/ 1 year
Dansk- .675M/ 1 year
Clarkson- 5.25M/ 1 year (LTIR)

Contracts kicking in.
Pacioretty- 7M/ 4 years
Stone- 9.5M/ 8 years
Tuch- 4.75M/ 7 years
Schmidt- 5.95M/ 6 years
Fleury- 7M/ 3 years

ELC.
Glass- .925M/ 3 years
Gusev- .925M/ 1 year
Hague- .823M/ 3 years
Whitecloud- .925M/ 2 years
Bischoff- .834M/ 1 year

Retained Salary.
Tatar- .530M/ 2 years

Needing Contracts.
Karlsson (RFA)
Pirri
Nosek (RFA)
Carpenter
Carr
Bellemare
Engelland
Subban (RFA)
Lagace (RFA)
Fucale (RFA)

Cap is supposed to be around $86M and my math shows that they have $85M tied up in salaries (if we include IR players). That's with 5 forwards, 1 D and Subban left unsigned.

My guess is that someone with a decent sized contract is going to have to go. Sad facts in the cap world.

KeithfromCanada

Mar 3, 2019
As noted before - Clarkson could be shipped out to a team like the Sens that need salary $'s to reach the floor but don't want to spend the money for roster players. All it would cost is a draft pick to go along with him.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Hague and Engelland as a top 4 pairing is weak point in this lineup. I am not sure that defense could make a Cup Final.

We could also get rid of Eakin and Haula/ Reaves and keep Nosek or use Glass.

Marchessault- Glass- Smith might be a great way to throw Glass in the NHL against other third lines.

Or you could go with Marchessault- Haula- Smith and Carrier- Bellemare- Carpenter/ Nosek.

That's what they start with. Where they are next Feb is a different matter. I'd like to think Whitecloud or Hague could make the team, if not Bischoff.

Haula may not be happy with reduced minutes. He's a 29 goal scorer and next season is a contract year...but who knows, he might be fine as a 3rd liner once again, making around 3.75m. Certainly better to offer him that extension than to move him and stick with several 5m+ players. I think his future with this club is entirely up to him. The cap might continue to increase by 4-5m every year. They really only need to worry about next season.

As strange as it is to say, I can't see them moving out Reaves. God what a dumb contract. He's been great but...why give him more than 2m?

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
That's what they start with. Where they are next Feb is a different matter. I'd like to think Whitecloud or Hague could make the team, if not Bischoff.

Haula may not be happy with reduced minutes. He's a 29 goal scorer and next season is a contract year...but who knows, he might be fine as a 3rd liner once again, making around 3.75m. Certainly better to offer him that extension than to move him and stick with several 5m+ players. I think his future with this club is entirely up to him. The cap might continue to increase by 4-5m every year. They really only need to worry about next season.

As strange as it is to say, I can't see them moving out Reaves. God what a dumb contract. He's been great but...why give him more than 2m?

It seems enticing to me that if there is a possibility of having Smith protect Glass defensively and Marchessault there to help him offensively with third lines as the matchup and ample ice time on a good team, I can't see a better way to try to get Glass used to the NHL.

I think this could be a golden opportunity to develop our inaugural draft pick into a top 10 1C. How often do you get to put a high end potential talent into such a great situation.

I agree about Reaves, he works on the team but is paid too much. Hopefully he would be willing to stay with the team for a cut rate for a few more seasons.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
As noted before - Clarkson could be shipped out to a team like the Sens that need salary $'s to reach the floor but don't want to spend the money for roster players. All it would cost is a draft pick to go along with him.

I think we hold an additional 3rd and 5th this draft and an additional 2nd the next draft.

I think the contract is insured so that the actual dollars paid is only around 1M.

LadyStanley

Sep 22, 2004
Sin City
My other team (ugghh) - the Sens have an owner that will be hard pressed to meet the cap minimum and shipping off Clarkson + a pick to him would likely viewed positively. LTIR counts against the cap and is paid out by insurance - which is exactly what a cheap SOB like Eugene Melnyk wants. I suspect he will be taking on a number of contracts like this.

Yes, LTIR counts against cap. But may not be paid by insurance. NHL group insurance only covers five contracts per team (selected by team). Rarely hear which contracts a team selected to be covered.

It's a bit expensive for teams to cover all their contracts.

Insurance doesn't kick in until 10 games are missed.

Paywall

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018

Reaves received a better 3-year offer from some other team. So McPhee just gave him the money they were going to give him for 3 years than in 2.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
Reaves received a better 3-year offer from some other team. So McPhee just gave him the money they were going to give him for 3 years than in 2.

So just give him 1.85m x 4. Better yet, call his bluff because he never wanted to leave in the first place.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
Agreed. He would have played for Vegas for a little less money. Leaving Las Vegas would be beyond stupid for him and I don't think he is going to any time soon. Where else is he going to be as popular as here? What other city is going to allow him to cash in on his name more than this place? I doubt he has the same opportunities back home in Winnipeg.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV
I told all of you this would be a problem for next year. Reaves and Holden were dumb deals by GMGM. I really don't see how anyone can be a fan of Reaves. There's so many players that can do what he does for a million dollars.

I've seen a euro female hockey writer that lives here fight with sinbin Ken and Granger about who should stay and who should go and I believe that she easily has more hockey knowledge than both of them who have only covered hockey for one year each.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad