Salary Cap Discussion

Vegas07

Dec 6, 2018
At least now we don't have to listen to clowns who believed we would be able to sign Erik Karlsson. He would have added at least $2.5 million more to the cap than Stone. GMGM has a plan. It may hurt (as in losing a beloved player such as Pebbles), but he knows what needs to be done.

I prefer Stone but was also pretty unhappy about seeing Karlsson go to the Sharks. That might be the worst team he could have gone to. By not getting him that led to the Sharks getting him.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Eakin for a 2nd would make me quite pleased and pretty much solve all problems. Nothing against Cody because he's shown last year was just an anomaly and can serve a lot of roles, but VGK just doesn't need that type of player at that cost. I'm thinking though maybe a third or fourth is all he can fetch. I don't see Reaves as having any value for a trade at his cost, even with just a year to go.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Eakin for a 2nd would make me quite pleased and pretty much solve all problems. Nothing against Cody because he's shown last year was just an anomaly and can serve a lot of roles, but VGK just doesn't need that type of player at that cost. I'm thinking though maybe a third or fourth is all he can fetch. I don't see Reaves as having any value for a trade at his cost, even with just a year to go.

Reaves is almost at 10 goals and 20 points I think it wouldn't be negative value.

And Eakin for a second doesn't sound far fetched.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
Reaves is almost at 10 goals and 20 points I think it wouldn't be negative value.

And Eakin for a second doesn't sound far fetched.

I don't think I'd trade Reaves. Flies off the honey and all that....And I'd rather trade Marchessault than Eakin. More salary off the roles, better trade value. Eakin is our bright spot on L3.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
not interested in trading two very good center/wings for a couple skaters that don't belong in the NHL and a couple uninspiring draft picks.

What are your expectations for a return for both players? It seems to be the general consensus that most VGK fans expect around a third for him. Both AJ Greer and Kamenev have had very good success in the AHL, both are 22/23 (a need for VGK from what I can gather) and both should be NHL players next season. Include a 2nd round pick I think that's a pretty solid hall for to players that will likely have to shipped out in the off-season. I guess agree to disagree.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I don't think I'd trade Reaves. Flies off the honey and all that....And I'd rather trade Marchessault than Eakin. More salary off the roles, better trade value. Eakin is our bright spot on L3.

I vacillate on who I think we should trade, I am not sure it's an easy decision. It might be decided by the offers we get.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
I think GMGM is honestly in "get through the playoffs" mode and is hardly even thinking about it atm.

Oh yeah, I think more around draft time.

I think we could get an extra few second rounders or even a first and a good prospect depending on who we trade.

It makes our future look more secure without weakening the team.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
Oh yeah, I think more around draft time.

I think we could get an extra few second rounders or even a first and a good prospect depending on who we trade.

It makes our future look more secure without weakening the team.

Can't trade anyways, all teams can do right now is go after college and CHL free agents, plus sign draft picks to pro deals. None of those involve salary cap relief.

willy702

Jul 3, 2016
What are your expectations for a return for both players? It seems to be the general consensus that most VGK fans expect around a third for him. Both AJ Greer and Kamenev have had very good success in the AHL, both are 22/23 (a need for VGK from what I can gather) and both should be NHL players next season. Include a 2nd round pick I think that's a pretty solid hall for to players that will likely have to shipped out in the off-season. I guess agree to disagree.

To be honest I think neither look that interesting. I have watched them some up in Loveland (live in Denver now) and neither seem likely to be anything more than lower roster players. Another issue, fair or not, is few have thought much of Avs pipeline players because they have been so lousy for the most part outside of the high first round picks. I know its changed and these guys could be the first wave of talent to prove themselves, but I'm not sure GMs are willing to do that. You have to admit it was a long stretch of horrendous drafting and development for the team, can't blame fans of other teams, let alone GMs, from waiting to see what you really have to offer beyond a can't miss draftee.

Reactions: Perratrooper

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
To be honest I think neither look that interesting. I have watched them some up in Loveland (live in Denver now) and neither seem likely to be anything more than lower roster players. Another issue, fair or not, is few have thought much of Avs pipeline players because they have been so lousy for the most part outside of the high first round picks. I know its changed and these guys could be the first wave of talent to prove themselves, but I'm not sure GMs are willing to do that. You have to admit it was a long stretch of horrendous drafting and development for the team, can't blame fans of other teams, let alone GMs, from waiting to see what you really have to offer beyond a can't miss draftee.

I think next season will be a good test to see if either are legitamtely NHL caliber. I think both should be regular fourth liners next season, with he potential to play up a line. Now young third/fourth liners might not be an ideal return, but couple that with some decent mid/high picks and the cap space you’d receive and I believe it’s close to fair.

Now in terms of the pipeline we have a very poor track record for developing, but I think our drafting has improved. We now how players like Kaut, Timmins, Kovalenko and Meloche as well as acquired players such as Bowers should help supplement the pool. Not to mention solid mid/high first rounders in Rantanen and Jost. With that being said we’re giving you two picks to draft whomever you like and a Nashville draft pick (Kam) so not 100% sure what you’re getting at with that part.

Pirate Deadpool

Mar 3, 2011
Las Vegas, NV

Timmons or Makar and a 2nd. A 3rd if it's Makar. Haula could be better than Soderberg and is more versatile. Haula and Eakin gives the Avs 2 good centers and Haula can play wing if needed. The Avalanche desperately needs above average players right now. If the Avs do this trade, they now have 1 elite line and 2 other lines that could be above average. Not to mwnrmen that they will get Hughes.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
Timmons or Makar and a 2nd. A 3rd if it's Makar. Haula could be better than Soderberg and is more versatile. Haula and Eakin gives the Avs 2 good centers and Haula can play wing if needed. The Avalanche desperately needs above average players right now. If the Avs do this trade, they now have 1 elite line and 2 other lines that could be above average. Not to mwnrmen that they will get Hughes.

Yeah Haule and Eakin combined are not worth Makar and Timmins hasn’t played all season so really doubt you want to trade for a player who has had concusion symptoms for almost a year. If that’s seriously what Vegas fans believe that combo is worth you’ll have to look to another team for their top prospect.

Vegan Knight

Feb 16, 2018
Yeah Haule and Eakin combined are not worth Makar and Timmins hasn’t played all season so really doubt you want to trade for a player who has had concusion symptoms for almost a year. If that’s seriously what Vegas fans believe that combo is worth you’ll have to look to another team for their top prospect.

I would advise caution when saying Vegas fans expect a certain return based on one poster's comments especially from a fan known for pretty hot takes, even against the Knights themselves.

Perratrooper

May 26, 2016
Alberta
I would advise caution when saying Vegas fans expect a certain return based on one poster's comments especially from a fan known for pretty hot takes, even against the Knights themselves.

Key words being "if" "seriously" I figured it wasn't either the general consensus or it was in jest, but hard to gauge by some fans.

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017

Fair enough. We'll take Makar, Girard, and two firsts.

Brazen331

Jul 18, 2018
How about Haula, Eakin, a 1st and 2nd for Makar?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad