Salary Cap: Salary Cap and Roster Building... just start the draft dammit

Status
Not open for further replies.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
How are we gonna afford Marner when hes looking for 11m/year?

Toronto needs money to sign Marner. So any deal with then would have us taking back cash

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I had a discussion with Kirk in the NHL thread about this...imo the nhl could and should limit the type of “injuries” that should qualify for LTIR to help curb abuses...it’s another issue, but I don’t think something like a degenerative condition from hockey wear and tear, or some weird asthma, should qualify for cap relief...would help limit gaming the system

If his doctor's are recommending that he doesn't play... what do you want him to do? Do I think the teams game the system? Absolutely. But if the player's were not complicit with this, it wouldn't/couldn't happen. And I do not think that the players would be complicit with 'not playing' or 'pretending to be hurt' if they could actually play. Like with Dupuis, or Kesler as a more recent example... the desire and the drive is just 'there', along with the ego's. If it wasn't, they would never make the NHL and get the contracts that we're bitching about now.

So for someone like Callahan, there's little chance that he'd be sitting at home laughing it up at 32/33 (w/e) about how he's getting paid millions just to sit on his ass. It's probably going to kill him to do that. But the alternative is to potentially f*** up the rest of his life... I can't think of any multi millionaire that would take that chance. To get the millions, sure... but once you already have them? I don't think so. So while at times I don't really like it... I also do not really have a problem with the players policing themselves. About the only change I'd like to see is more verification from the NHL. I know they've verified a few players, but I'd like there to be a little more with more publicity about it.

Last edited:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
... funny how that kings team had a player that plays very similar to letang eating up big minutes

Drew doughty is no Scuderi!

Like honestly its so funny seeing people want stay at home Dmen.

If you are not good at offense, you are NOT good at defense.

THE BEST DEFENSE IS OFFENSE!

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
and thats a deal that dallas laughs at. Those two are locked down for many years and both at good hits.

(klingberg at 4.25 for 7 years is amazing)

Klingberg may actually have more value than Tanger with his contract. Though, Klingberg is no letang when it comes to being a overall Dman, but hes still very very good.
I think saying Klingberg has more value than the guy who just finished sixth in Norris voting is a little bit of a stretch, but I do see your point. His is a very attractive contract.

My proposal deliberately favors the Penguins. By how much, I'm not sure. Maybe too much. But I do know that this isn't like the Kessel situation. The team isn't backed into a corner needing to trade him. Want one of the league's premier defensemen? You're going to have to pay for him.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Nevermind, Zeitsev is awful. I lost track of him. Was thinking he was much better.

And you learned this from watching film? Because it seems like you changed your mind in a matter of minutes based on HF users? Or did you check out fancy stats?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but how can a person change their mind on a player w/o watching any film and coming up with an idea on their own?

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Doughty? He's light years better defensively than Letang.

uh...lol not at all if you actually watched Kings games.

Doughty and Letang are almost carbon copies of each other. Yea, Doughty is a bit better at defense in his prime. But not currently. Also letangs offense is way better. Letang was waaaaay better than doughty this past season.

Both are hotheads, who make dumb plays at times.

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
THE BEST DEFENSE IS OFFENSE!

Except in the playoffs when you need to actually play defense here and there. I've always said Letang is a great skater who eats up minutes in the regular season but he's liability come playoff time.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
I’ve seen them risk a lot more for $$...but if it’s worded as “jeopardizes his playing career” almost every doctor could say that and it wouldn’t necessarily be a lie....yes, the player would have to go along, and the league is a joke, so I doubt they’re very vigorous at going beyond the paperwork submitted...

But then you still need the player to go along with it. Very few would unless the issue was actually very legitimate.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Except in the playoffs when you need to actually play defense here and there. I've always said Letang is a great skater who eats up minutes in the regular season but he's liability come playoff time.

Letang is literally awesome come playoffs. Youre talking out your ass.

Was by far our best player in that 2014 year. Make a case for being our best player in 2013, too.

2016 was other worldly. He was perfect. Shoulda won the CS.

So what are you talking about??

Dennis Reynolds

I have to have my tools!
Jun 10, 2011
Paddy's Pub
Severelli said theres a decent chance Panarin gets 12, at the lowest he'll be around 11.5
I just don't see how he's worth that.

There could be some interesting contracts coming up, though.

With the cap stagnating in exchange for the promise that it will be significantly higher once the new TV deal is in place, and with a lot of teams up against the cap, I could see a lot of players heading to FA being forced to settle.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon

@Jesse

Question for you. While we all know (or mostly anyway) how good Letang actually is on a nightly basis... how do you quantify how different the team plays when he's in vs out? And do you have any thoughts/opinions on why he (and the team) rarely plays that much more conservative style when he's in?

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Letang is literally awesome come playoffs. Youre talking out your ass.

Was by far our best player in that 2014 year. Make a case for being our best player in 2013, too.

2016 was other worldly. He was perfect. Shoulda won the CS.

So what are you talking about??

Uhh 2017, 2018, and 2019???

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Uhh 2017, 2018, and 2019???

2017, he was obviously hurt and didn't play.

2018, near PPG. least of their problems, but was mediocre.

2019..again...least of their problems. But underperformed.

You can do this with any player who has a ton of playoff runs. Crosby...malkin..kane. Anyone. Theyre not bad playoff players because of a few subpar runs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad