Salary Cap: Salary Cap and Roster Building... just start the draft dammit

Status
Not open for further replies.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
But then you still need the player to go along with it. Very few would unless the issue was actually very legitimate.

My problem with it has more to do with the fact that any injury on earth is allowed to qualify for cap relief, and it’s less about the gamesmanship...you’re right that few players (and most love the game) would go along a farce...it just seems really really convenient for TB that the one player they have to LTIR happens to be the only player whose salary they’ve been trying to get rid of for two years...I’m sure this has been going on for years (his back) and Callahan just now was convinced with one year left to retire because, as you say, he wants to play...it’s a standard injury for nhl players, so I just don’t think NHL teams should be able to claim LTIR relief for a wear and tear injuries from playing the sport...it’s part of the hazard of owning a team...that’s my main problem with accepting cap relief for something like this

froods

I blame Paul Martin and Jack Johnson
Aug 28, 2009
Fort Erie, ON
And you learned this from watching film? Because it seems like you changed your mind in a matter of minutes based on HF users? Or did you check out fancy stats?

I'm not trying to be a smart ass but how can a person change their mind on a player w/o watching any film and coming up with an idea on their own?
Honestly, my children have isolated me to primarily watching the pens. I know he had a ton of points his first year and was thinking he is still that player. When someone mentioned he sucks, I checked the stats and he is not producing even close to what he did/they thought he would.

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
if Letang played in MTL or TOR in 2013,2016, he would have two norris trophies. Its amazing how underrated he is. (subban robbed him in 2013).

If Letang have played for any orginal 6 team, he would be considered an all time great.

Reactions: domaug

SouthGeorge

May 2, 2018
Question for you. While we all know (or mostly anyway) how good Letang actually is on a nightly basis... how do you quantify how different the team plays when he's in vs out? And do you have any thoughts/opinions on why he (and the team) rarely plays that much more conservative style when he's in?

Because that requires everybody to be defensively sound. Letang has proven time and time again he can't do it. Perfect example is against the Caps in Game 5 in 2018. One goal lead in the 3rd and he gives up a breakaway and they tie the game. You can't be conservative when you know you have a bonehead player who can't do it for a full game and is bound to give up a high quality chance for no reason.

Then he said in the off-season he's going to get back to his game. Basically not playing how the coaches want him to play. We saw how that worked out against the Islanders this year :rolleyes:

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Because the team banded together without him and then played like **** when he came back, which is somehow his fault.

guess we should somehow blame malkin for losing to Washington in 18'. Played great in game 1. Went all down hill when that bum malkin came back for game 2.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Honestly, my children have isolated me to primarily watching the pens. I know he had a ton of points his first year and was thinking he is still that player. When someone mentioned he sucks, I checked the stats and he is not producing even close to what he did/they thought he would.

Fair enough. Family is more important. But don't let people change your opinion. Just watch the game and analyze yourself. He had a rough go but he's not the last defender who had a shit year that turns it around. That's why it is imperative to watch and analyze.

But to be honest - spend time with your family and watch the Pens for entertainment. Family >>>> anything. Enjoy the kiddos. Being a good father is better than being able to analyze a Toronto dman. :laugh:

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
Trading Letang is madness. Trading Malkin is madness.

Please don't resort to madness, JR.
From my perspective it would depend on the return. I'm more about the team than I am any individual player. That said it better be one hell of a deal for either or both of them to move on. Geno in particular.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
guess we should somehow blame malkin for losing to Washington in 18'. Played great in game 1. Went all down hill when that bum malkin came back for game 2.

I think we should still be mad at Sid for 2012. That team thought it was the globetrotters after he came back so he’s a bad influence and makes the team too risky.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
Pure insanity going on right now with regards to Letang. All because he has been with the franchise his entire career people treats trading him like losing a family member.
He's 32 years and has MAYBE 3 years left at a high level. That's it. And he is wildly inconsistent, with fantastic spells mixed with horrible spells where he is a awful. And he misses 10-20 games on average any season as he is extremely injury prone. And still people are discussing young superstar players like Marner and Klingberg in the trade conversation. Please, reality is calling....
In a couple of seasons his value is zero.

Reactions: SouthGeorge

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Pure insanity going on right now with regards to Letang. All because he has been with the franchise his entire career people treats trading him like losing a family member.
He's 32 years and has MAYBE 3 years left at a high level. That's it. And he is wildly inconsistent, with fantastic spells mixed with horrible spells where he is a awful. And he misses 10-20 games on average any season as he is extremely injury prone. And still people are discussing young superstar players like Marner and Klingberg in the trade conversation. Please, reality is calling....

Horrible spells in the last decade:
2018 where he was recovering from a horrible injury. Still scored 50 points and had really strong effects on the Pens offense.

That’s it. Yea so inconsistent.

Reactions: Dennis Reynolds

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
I think we should still be mad at Sid for 2012. That team thought it was the globetrotters after he came back so he’s a bad influence and makes the team too risky.

Its crazy that Crosby,Malkin and Staal all played fantastic...and we still lost.

Usaully you are unbeatable if all 3 of your Cs play at an elite level...

PensandCaps

Beddy Tlueger
May 22, 2015
Horrible spells in the last decade:
2018 where he was recovering from a horrible injury. Still scored 50 points and had really strong effects on the Pens offense.

That’s it. Yea so inconsistent.

The standard for letang is held soooo much higher than opposed to other #1 Dmen in the league. All because letang haters dont watch other #1Dmen as closley as they do letang.

No #1Dman who plays 25 mins night is going to be a perfect robot who makes no mistakes or has no bad years or playoff runs.

Also, lol Klingberg being a superstar.

If you think letang is inconsistent and "bad defensively" watch klingberg all 82 games.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
This was discussed just at insane lengths for years and years. I've always said the same thing and @Empoleon8771 put it well a couple threads ago. There are pros/cons to discuss Letang's game. Those are fair. His bad games are bad. But they aren't every night. His good games are good. And he's great/top 5 on a lot of occasions. His pros/cons spark amazing debate.

But the line is trading him. That is stepping over the art of discussion regarding his game. And I think 80%, if not more, of us have always agreed it wouldn't be worth the risk. The risk is fun to assess and analyze at times, but at the end of the day - it just makes perfect sense to keep 58 through his contract.

Pengu

Jun 24, 2016
At this time I think it's best if we kept him as we'll never get what we want for him. No other team is going to throw young cost controlled valuable players for 32 year old players, almost no matter who they are....

Ryder71

Nov 24, 2017
At this time I think it's best if we kept him as we'll never get what we want for him. No other team is going to throw young cost controlled valuable players for 32 year old players, almost no matter who they are....
It only takes one GM to make a miscalculation and poof, crazy scenarios arise and deals can come together. Our own GM is a culprit himself. But generally speaking his trades have helped this team more than hurt it. Hopefully that'll continue.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad