Salary Cap: Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building X | Contract chart in post #1 | CAP SET AT $73M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
Just to point out the obvious, but Talbot did have a 2.55 GAA and .917 SV% behind a pretty poor Oilers team last season.

Just like Buffalo - why would they want Fleury when Lehner put up a 2.47 GAA and .924 SV% behind that team last season?

Not to mention that they're both younger and cheaper.

Plus they have that promising Swedish kid they seem to like. It could end up being a decent 1-2 combo.

Last edited:

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Hall isnt getting traded for anything other than a defencemen. A top pair one at that. We dont exactly have any spare ones lying around.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
A lot of people seem to think that just because Fleury *might* be a better goaltender than some current starters in the league, that those teams would be interested in acquiring Fleury and relegating their $4-6 million starter to a back-up role. Come on.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
I though he had one year left. Niemi has 2. That changes things. If they retained 50% it'd be ok but they wouldn't. Nuke will be good. He had some injury problems that slowed his progression but moving forward he should work out pretty well.

I'm extremely skeptical that Nuke will ever be able to process the game quickly enough to make the most of his talent. He's not as clueless as Yakupov, but he doesn't have Yakupov's work ethic either.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
If we don't like Nichushkin, or he's not available, Janmark is like the closest thing in the NHL to another Hagelin.

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh
Bummer that Macaroni dude never really developed. He had crazy speed. Would be lights out on the 4th line call ups.

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009
All this talk about moving Flower, and I'm just over here hoping we can offload Kunitz.

If we move Fleury and there's any truth to us coveting Brian Elliott as a backup. I hope we can do a 1 for 1 swap of him and Kunitz. Would rather just move Kunitz for picks but that's better than nothing I guess.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
What.... the **** Florida.

Yeah, I dunno man. That's some "Brian Campbell contract" level stupidity. Absolutely absurd deal for the Panthers.

If we don't like Nichushkin, or he's not available, Janmark is like the closest thing in the NHL to another Hagelin.

Yeah. Janmark is ****ing awesome. If we're getting a significant piece back from Dallas, he's the guy I'd want first. Nuke's got higher potential, but he's also a decent risk.

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
What.... the **** Florida.

Yeah, I dunno man. That's some "Brian Campbell contract" level stupidity. Absolutely absurd deal for the Panthers.

Really? He's only produced (or been on pace to in the LO season) 40+ points in each of the last 7 seasons. Oh and never missed a game in any of those seasons.

542 games, 63 goals, 325 points. That's on average 0.11 GPG (9.5) and 0.599 PPG (49.1) while being durable. There's two knocks that come to mind. 1) he turns 30 in Sept. That said, he's yet to miss a game in 7 years and he's a pretty good skater. 2) His defensive game is suspect.

The bottom line is guys who can move the puck and produce (and he does both) are always in demand. Honestly, this doesn't really surprise me at all. I find your shock and outrage more surprising than FLA giving him that contract.

The price itself is about market for that type of player, but that's a bit of a scary term. I believe they're stuck with him until he's 38 years old.

37. He turns 30 in Sept, and the contract will end while he's still 37. Again though, great skater, and never missed a game in 7 years. I'm certain that that played a pretty large part in FLA giving him that term.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
I don't see the problem with the Yandle deal. It's pretty clear how important PMDs are is in this league, Campbell was moving on, and they don't have any pressing cap issues on the horizon.

If the Panthers hadn't signed anyone, their next-highest scoring defensemen would've been Petrovic/Kulikov, with 17 points each.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
I don't see the problem with the Yandle deal. It's pretty clear how important PMDs are is in this league, Campbell was moving on, and they don't have any pressing cap issues on the horizon.

If the Panthers hadn't signed anyone, their next-highest scoring defensemen would've been Petrovic/Kulikov, with 17 points each.

Did Ekblad get traded?

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Sep 5, 2008
I mean, I guesssssss it's the going rate for a potential top-pairing, offensive minded defenseman younger than 30, but that's an absurd deal for Yandle. I've never been impressed with him.

Florida was desperate enough to throw a stupid deal on a guy I'd hazard to say is pretty overrated. /shrug

Zero Pucks

Size matters
May 17, 2009

I guess it doesn't hurt as much when you're replacing Campbell and that contract with this one. Yandle may still have a few good years left, but I'm really not sure if his career is in the upswing anymore. Maybe he turns it around in Florida and is a good fit, but this seems like a big risk.

Dipsy Doodle

Rent A Barn
May 28, 2006
Did Ekblad get traded?

My bad. Meant to say after Ekblad.

A team can't expect to contend in 2016 with a blueline that has a 36/17/17 statline for its 3 most productive defensemen. I'm not sure who else people think would be a better use of Florida's cap space.

They have a goalie, they have forward depth, they have size, they have youth...they needed an offensive defenseman.

deakka

Nov 6, 2009
With those contracts currently given out for D, it wouldnt suprise me if a team actually would qualify Schultz...

Get to work JR, time to get that 3rd back :)

ColePens

RIP Fugu Buffaloed & parabola
Mar 27, 2008
Pittsburgh

And they have no cap issues at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad