Salary Cap: Salary Cap: 2016-17 roster-building X | Contract chart in post #1 | CAP SET AT $73M

Status
Not open for further replies.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think there's a ton of decent people just floating around right now anyway for a job, so Vegas is lucky that they're the only expansion team and not part of a pair. They'll get a good shot at getting some decent execs in place for a team and I don't see them having a bad team at all, I'm actually very intrigued by that team, might be a WC team I can actually follow and not hate.

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
I hope we don't do something stupid like lose Botterill to LV or promote Guerin.

Guys like MacIver, Dubas, Tallon & Brisebois are probably the bigger names out there.

Corvidae

May 5, 2009
I think there's a ton of decent people just floating around right now anyway for a job, so Vegas is lucky that they're the only expansion team and not part of a pair. They'll get a good shot at getting some decent execs in place for a team and I don't see them having a bad team at all, I'm actually very intrigued by that team, might be a WC team I can actually follow and not hate.

I just hate that they expanded at all when the no-brainer move would have been to drop the Coyotes off there (and call them the Black Knights, if they really wanted).

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I just hate that they expanded at all when the no-brainer move would have been to drop the Coyotes off there (and call them the Black Knights, if they really wanted).

Yeah, the fact that the Yotes are still around cracks me up, how many years before they're in trouble again? I give it 2.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012

$500 million in expansion fees probably explains it. To quote an unidentified member of Delta House when they decided to let Flounder in:, "we need the dues".

clefty

Retrovertigo
Dec 24, 2003
Visit site
Botterill has to know the Penguins gig is his before too long. Does he want to take over the team he helped build into a winner, or start over from scratch? I guess I could see how the latter could be an attractive challenge.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
The problem with Anaheim is they will have the same exact situation we currently have if they take MAF.

I agree with you on Dallas. I'd want Niemi and Nuke for Fleury. They are rich as hell in wingers and can afford to let Nuke go to fill a position they've had trouble with for years.

Yeah Nuke and Niemi (1 mil retained) would be a really good deal. Most likely better than what Calgary could do.

Rust and Nuke with Malkin could be really good (especially if they get the third toughest match ups). We would still have some wiggle room to get a decent LW (certainly if Kunitz is moved although I don't see it happening)

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I think Kunitz is definitely movable, he has 1 year left, is a 3x cup winner, some team might assume his experience will "rub off" on the younger players. Especially teams weaker on the left side. LA is likely losing Lucic and Kunitz's price tag is probably closer to the ballpark of what they would want to spend. I just hope LA is the one that comes calling for him, otherwise the team will probably be happy just to keep his ass.

I'd happily do Kunitz for Kings 2nd/3rd rounder and some throw in prospect.

Brandinho

deng xiaoping gang
Aug 28, 2005
República de Cuba
Yeah Nuke and Niemi (1 mil retained) would be a really good deal. Most likely better than what Calgary could do.

Rust and Nuke with Malkin could be really good (especially if they get the third toughest match ups). We would still have some wiggle room to get a decent LW (certainly if Kunitz is moved although I don't see it happening)

And when Nuke doesn't pan out, we're stuck with a mediocre backup goalie making way too much money. That deal looks awful to me tbh, but then again I don't think Nuke is much of an asset.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh
I hope we don't do something stupid like lose Botterill to LV or promote Guerin.

Guys like MacIver, Dubas, Tallon & Brisebois are probably the bigger names out there.

Pens are unlikely to promote anyone, absent JR saying he wants to quit. Not with the sale still out there.

And my guess is that new ownership will be less enamored with Guerin than Country Club Mario was. My fear is less the promotion of Guerin than the unknown when new ownership is in place. Partially with management, but partially monetarily. I know that Burkle is supposedly keeping most of his share, but if Mario is mostly gone will he have the interest still? He is based across the country. And who knows what new ownership will be like financially? Today's (Yesterday's) Blackberry could be tomorrow's penny stock.

Penske

Kunitz wasn't there
Jan 13, 2016
And when Nuke doesn't pan out, we're stuck with a mediocre backup goalie making way too much money. That deal looks awful to me tbh, but then again I don't think Nuke is much of an asset.

I though he had one year left. Niemi has 2. That changes things. If they retained 50% it'd be ok but they wouldn't. Nuke will be good. He had some injury problems that slowed his progression but moving forward he should work out pretty well.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I though he had one year left. Niemi has 2. That changes things. If they retained 50% it'd be ok but they wouldn't. Nuke will be good. He had some injury problems that slowed his progression but moving forward he should work out pretty well.

Well he has one more year after this next season, I consider the next season as the current year now that the previous one is over.

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
With Taylor Halls name floating, its a real shame Flower would never go to Edmonton.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
With Taylor Halls name floating, its a real shame Flower would never go to Edmonton.

What does Hall have to do with Fluery? Oilers already have their goalie; Talbot and the reason they'd trade Hall is for a Dman.

Sideline

May 23, 2004

Even if he would:
1. The Oilers have a goalie
2. Fleury isn't worth anything close to Hall
3. We can't afford his salary long-term

M0NTY26

Force from Ma'gorsk
Feb 27, 2010
What does Hall have to do with Fluery? Oilers already have their goalie; Talbot and the reason they'd trade Hall is for a Dman.

You're right. I'd want Talbot as my goalie over MAF, too!

Even if he would:

1. Refer to DearDiary.
2.Fleury is worth more than you think; Hall is worth less than you think.
3. Yes we could. Be it through salary retention, rookie contracts, and salary dumps, also known as the Kunitz dump.

USMC607

Apr 4, 2013
All this talk about moving Flower, and I'm just over here hoping we can offload Kunitz.

radapex

Sep 21, 2012
Canada, Eh

Just to point out the obvious, but Talbot did have a 2.55 GAA and .917 SV% behind a pretty poor Oilers team last season.

Just like Buffalo - why would they want Fleury when Lehner put up a 2.47 GAA and .924 SV% behind that team last season?

Not to mention that they're both younger and cheaper.

EndlessBigMacs

Apr 27, 2016
Pittsburgh

1. Refer to DearDiary.
2.Fleury is worth more than you think; Hall is worth less than you think.
3. Yes we could. Be it through salary retention, rookie contracts, and salary dumps, also known as the Kunitz dump.

Edmonton'sbiggest issue is defense, they're gonna use their biggest asset that they'd be willing to part ways with to address their biggest need.
Talbot is young and on a really good contract, Fleury is better, but they are perfectly fine with talbot

Riptide

Dec 29, 2011
Yukon
Even if he would:

While I agree with the first two and would add a forth (Hall would only be moved for a RHD), we could absolutely afford another 6m winger. Would cost us some depth, but that's a contract you make room for. And honestly, it wouldn't be all that hard to accommodate.

tom_servo

Sep 27, 2002
Pittsburgh
It's great that after a Cup win, I'm only hoping to trade a valuable starting goalie, watch only a couple lower defensemen go into UFA, and look at maybe more wing talent and depth defense. This Cup doesn't come with much headache. Life is good.

Kinda hoping for Hudler at a bargain deal and maybe trading Fleury and/or Kunitz (I know) for decent picks/TJ Brodie.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
The Pens could absolutely afford to fit in Taylor Hall's contract. The problem is the only player the Oilers would want in return is Kris Letang (aside from the obvious 87 and 71).

Anyone who thinks the Pens can land Hall for friggin' Fleury is out to lunch and has no concept of value of players outside of Pittsburgh.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad