Saku Koivu night in Montreal

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
It's different with him though... I'm 29 years old, and Saku was a Hab from when I was a kid all the way up to my mid 20's. He's what comes to mind for me when I think of my childhood and teens watching hockey. All my favorite memories of those days were of him. There is a whole generation of fans like me who are incredibly attached to him because we truly had nothing else. I loved Roy as a kid but in all honesty, aside from remembering him when my dad would take me to games, my memories of him were mostly with the Avs.

Saku WAS THE HABS for my generation.

He wasn't the best in the league, didn't have any records, no cups or performance awards, but he defined the team and he was the only good player we had for such a long time.

He's not on the same level as the legends in Montreal history, but when you think about impact on the fanbase... There's Rocket Richard, Jean Beliveau, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy, and there's Saku Koivu. Not comparing him as a player to these legends, but I contend that his impact on the fanbase was up there with those guys, especially if you factor in how much the league had changed from the old days.

I understand and I,m not gonna try to diminish your admiration for Koivu cause he surely deserves it. He was the bright spot for so long, and we almost lost him. That was hard and it developed something unique with its fans. But (yeah here comes the ''but'' sorry I know you could see that one coming) retiring his number would only have its full meaning for a small portion of the team's fans, the one including you. Saku is one of my favourite player ever, I rank him easily in my top 5 ever. I'm nearly 40, seen 2 cups (well, 3, but babies don't count). I've lived the glory days of Roy. I've been on Ste-Catherine screaming my joy of getting a cup. Koivu is one of my favourite because he was the little warrior that was trying so hard to keep the team relevant, which sadly, didn't happen most of the time. Because of this, he doesn't have a legacy in hockey, which I think is what makes a player ''great''. And I think, like I said, greatness should be required to get his number out of the market in Montreal.

Tulipunaruusu*

Apr 27, 2014
Because of this, he doesn't have a legacy in hockey, which I think is what makes a player ''great''. And I think, like I said, greatness should be required to get his number out of the market in Montreal.

He doesn't have a legacy in hockey from an era where Soviets have not even yet started to outplay Canadians in their own little game. For some reason ancient English top division football records ain't usually held in such high regard when compared to bit more relevant times...

In modern day record Koivu in his prime was the best ice hockey forward Finland has ever given passport to, counting in Kurri and Selänne. That may not have been a long period of time — overall — but it happened.

If Kurri in 80's would end Canadiens future skater number retirement for good... how good was Saku Koivu.

Analyzer*

Habs did this well.

There was an hour long documentary of sorts on RDS with Saku. It's very good, too. I'm not sure if it's on YouTube.

It's mostly English, a little French and a little Finnish.

Matti_A

Sep 21, 2005
I didn't get a chance to see this until now. I have to say that was a great and emotional speech by Saku.

My favorite line was: "I will always be a hab at my heart"

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad