Saku Koivu night in Montreal

Chfan

Apr 16, 2004
Montreal
Dude of course he's gonna say stuff like that, at the end of the day he's a millionaire living the good life. What's a few hundred thousand bucks charity going to do.

[MOD]

It costed 8 millions, and he's not a typical millionaire living the good life lol... far from it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
Very good player!

I think you are really under ratings him. Prior to his injuries, he was one of of the most dynamic b players in the league IMO. If he had been able to stay healthy, I think he would have made the HOF.

He is just the prototypical example of a guy who played a long time at 70-80% of his peak and will likely be under rated by people who m just look at stats.

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
The guy is the epitome of 'Sisu'. A little sad that he didn't get a cup or a gold medal. Then again, what are those when compared to the really important things...

Terry Yake

Aug 5, 2013
beautiful tribute for one of the classiest guys to ever play the game

still wish the ducks could have won him a cup last season

Papaspud

Vatman
Dec 19, 2008
To the rescue
Very sad that his last campaign was hindered by what was obviously post concussion symptoms. Played far above his weight class each and every shift. Warrior in every sense of the word.

StanAjax

Jul 30, 2003
Nantes
Visit site
The guy is the epitome of 'Sisu'. A little sad that he didn't get a cup or a gold medal. Then again, what are those when compared to the really important things...

That broken stick in Turin. :(
Kinda sums up his career. He didn't have much "hockey" luck with the bad teams in Montreal for most of his tenure, injuries and illness.

He'll forever be my hockey hero.

You could see yesterday that Markov was moved by the ceremony. Of course, with Plekanec, he's the only one left on the Habs that played a significant part of his career with Saku. Saku and Andrei. They're both responsible for Jumbo Joes's "playoff choker" label. Those 2002 and 2004 playoffs were something...

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Is there any doubt that would it be any other franchise Koivu's number would be retired?

SwissLeaf

Feb 6, 2012
I don't like the Habs and I don't like Finland (in hockey only, obviously:)), but Saku Koivu is pure class!

Jerk Store*

Loved Saku as a player and he's a tremendous and genuine person.

That being said, the ceremony was ridiculously long. 40 minutes before the puck dropped... Come on...

ThaDevilGirl

Every day is a day off
Oct 1, 2006
YUL
Loved Saku as a player and he's a tremendous and genuine person.

That being said, the ceremony was ridiculously long. 40 minutes before the puck dropped... Come on...

It probably took 10 minutes for the photographer to get the picture he wanted. FFS.

FinnLightning26

Death and no taxes
Sep 16, 2007
Lapland
It still sucks to see two Finnish legends in Koivu and Selänne retire during one summer. He deserved a Cup after all he has went through but he had great career nonetheless. Enjoy your well deserved retirement, Saku!

MXD

Original #4
Oct 27, 2005
Habs proceeded to not win the game in honor of Koivu, which is TOTALLY fitting.

optimus2861

Aug 29, 2005
Bedford NS
Is there any doubt that would it be any other franchise Koivu's number would be retired?
1993 serves as something of a dividing line for Montreal Canadiens history. Prior to that, dominant team, constant threat to win Stanley Cups, legendary players. After that, sometimes good, sometimes mediocre club that has rarely set itself apart from the rest of the pack, hampered for years by middling to bad management.

In that post-1993 period, Koivu stands above all for what he means to the Canadiens. By modern-day NHL standards, his number absolutely would be retired.

Oh captain, my captain, it was so good to see you wearing the CH again last night.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006

As a Habs fan, I want his number to be retired. But it might take a few decades.

ForsbergForever

May 19, 2004
No doubt. I want to see it retired too, but it might take a while before it happens.

I think it depends on if the team plans on retiring any more numbers from the 50s-70s teams. The one I`d like to see is Toe Blake`s #6 any maybe #24 for Chelios... If they don`t plan on doing that then I think they need to reset their criteria for banner worthiness, as no one from the last 20 years comes close to any of those guys in accomplishments. Thus Saku should be the first in a possible new generation of number retirements, who knows, maybe Price or Subban could be up there one day with him...

Jerk Store*

It probably took 10 minutes for the photographer to get the picture he wanted. FFS.

I know :laugh: had to kick out Markov and Getzlaf smh... Don't get me wrong, Saku deserves a nice send off, but it just ran too long. That video where every living soul in montreal says thank you, like, not necessary.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad