Saku Koivu night in Montreal

Philly85*

I Ain't Even Mad
Mar 28, 2009
Pretty family.

Just always had a really positive, calm demeanour/temperment about himself that was commendable in such a chaotic sport. Always like him and wish him and his family all the best.

Phousse

Jul 28, 2005
Toronto, Ontario
Do you proofread what you write, or do you just type and then it's batter up?

The night was for Koivu, who played for both teams. if Montreal wanted to honor Saku for the sake of the Canadiens, they could have picked any team. Polarizing half his career is silly because he was both a Canadien AND a Duck - which is probably why they picked tonight of nights.

Also those statements about fans loving him more and him loving the Canadiens more is asinine at best, and full blown Pejorative Slur at it's worst. "Dad loves me more because I was born first HURRRRRRRRRR"

Just ignore that type of post, nothing but idiocy.

Koivu is a Canadien and a Duck. It's not like he just spent a season in Anaheim.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012
Just ignore that type of post, nothing but idiocy.

Koivu is a Canadien and a Duck. It's not like he just spent a season in Anaheim.

il_570xN.280621066.jpg

EverybodyLovesRay

Sep 21, 2008
Koivu is just awesome. Did big things, on and off the ice. Pretty sad to see these kind of players retiring.. One of my favorites ever.

BB1133

Apr 4, 2010
Great tribute.

One of my favorite players growing up. Pure class and everything you want in a captain.

illpucks

May 26, 2011
Saku is one of the nicest and classiest players ever. He spoke with his heart and got love from both teams and the fans of course.

"I honestly believe that I should be the one standing here and applauding to you" wow that was an awesome line.

habscup*

He's mentioned before how much that meant to him relative to all his time in Montreal. Some things are just way more important than sports. The man is pure class.

Dude of course he's gonna say stuff like that, at the end of the day he's a millionaire living the good life. What's a few hundred thousand bucks charity going to do.

snarktacular

Aug 2, 2005
Elaborate good sir or madame.
TBH I wasn't paying full attention. But one of the thank yous in the video was from a doctor.

It goes something like this. When Koivu was getting diagnosed with cancer, he had to travel to get a PET scan because the Montreal area didn't have one. Later on, he spearheaded fundraising to get a Montreal hospital a PET scanner (many millions of dollars) so that future cancer patients can be better diagnosed.

Big Guy

Aug 1, 2013
Dude of course he's gonna say stuff like that, at the end of the day he's a millionaire living the good life. What's a few hundred thousand bucks charity going to do.

It was a $7 million machine, apparently the first of its kind in Quebec or maybe Canada, not sure. He should be proud.

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
Despite that, I think it's safe to say he's winning life. Great guy, had a great career, loved by millions. A cup would've been a cherry on top.

Edit: and beat cancer of course.

And he's got an adorable wife.

Watched the documentary made by RDS, what a wonderful family.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast

You do realize he didn't just write a check? And how important having a machine like that is? And the fact the city didn't have even one before his situation came along? And he has said how much that means to him before tonight. He didn't just throw that in to tonight's speech because it sounded good.

I didn't think a Habs fan would be that cynical about what he did/said.

George Binks

#MakeAnaheimGr8Again
Jul 28, 2012

the machine and rebuilding the room at the hospital cost 8 million dollars.......

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad