Saku Koivu night in Montreal

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Habs proceeded to not win the game in honor of Koivu, which is TOTALLY fitting.
This one makes me laugh more then it should.

Loved Saku, one of my favourite ever.

As a Habs fan, I want his number to be retired. But it might take a few decades.

imo if it happens, it's because this current group will fail to win a cup.

I odn't think Koivu's number deserved to be retired.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
imo if it happens, it's because this current group will fail to win a cup.

I odn't think Koivu's number deserved to be retired.

Saku had 0 chance to win a cup in Montréal in the entire time he spent here. Gotta stop thinking about retiring numbers because of cups won. Saku's legacy is much more than that.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
Saku had 0 chance to win a cup in Montréal in the entire time he spent here. Gotta stop thinking about retiring numbers because of cups won. Saku's legacy is much more than that.
I'm not even saying it's because he didn't win a cup that his number shouldn't be retired. It's because he has never been a top 10 forwards during his time in the league. Best season is 75 points. Yes it goes beyond that for Koivu, community, charity, captain and long tenure is important too, but I think with the number of retired jerseys already hung from the rafters, greatness should be required from now on. Unless, the team continue to fail in the playoffs with this new core, hence the need to celebrate the past and bring some nostalgic emotions to please the crowd.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Wish he won a cup in Anaheim, no player deserved one more than him.

Great ceremony for such a great person and hockey player, wish he retired as a Hab though :(

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
Habs proceeded to not win the game in honor of Koivu, which is TOTALLY fitting.

But the Ducks won in honor of him. Judging by the ceremony the Canadiens believe Saku ceased existing for the past five years. But that's fine. I don't expect many Sharks or Avs highlights during Teemu's number retirement. Definitely some Jets highlights, though.

Seb

All we are is Dustin Byfuglien
Jul 15, 2006
But the Ducks won in honor of him. Judging by the ceremony the Canadiens believe Saku ceased existing for the past five years. But that's fine. I don't expect many Sharks or Avs highlights during Teemu's number retirement. Definitely some Jets highlights, though.

The ceremony was about Saku's tenure and legacy in Montréal, they had no reason to celebrate about his 5 years in Anaheim. The fact that they did it the night of a Ducks-Habs game was enough of a recongnition.

You sound bitter for something that's meaningless.

Acetylene

Every dog has it’s day
Jul 10, 2010
Sweden
Classy ceremony. It takes quite a lot for a Swedish Leafs fan to shed a tear watching the retirement of a Finnish former Habs Captain, I tell you. Nevertheless, this did it. Enjoy retirement, Saku! :handclap:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Dan favorite that deserves the praise he receives. Glad they did this for him as he totally is a part of Habs lore now.

DarthYenik

Sep 15, 2011
California
The ceremony was about Saku's tenure and legacy in Montréal, they had no reason to celebrate about his 5 years in Anaheim. The fact that they did it the night of a Ducks-Habs game was enough of a recongnition.

You sound bitter for something that's meaningless.

I bet you'd love for at least one Ducks fan to feel any ounce of negativity about last night. But it's less spurred of bitterness, and more a minor observation.

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
I'm not even saying it's because he didn't win a cup that his number shouldn't be retired. It's because he has never been a top 10 forwards during his time in the league. Best season is 75 points. Yes it goes beyond that for Koivu, community, charity, captain and long tenure is important too, but I think with the number of retired jerseys already hung from the rafters, greatness should be required from now on. Unless, the team continue to fail in the playoffs with this new core, hence the need to celebrate the past and bring some nostalgic emotions to please the crowd.

It's different with him though... I'm 29 years old, and Saku was a Hab from when I was a kid all the way up to my mid 20's. He's what comes to mind for me when I think of my childhood and teens watching hockey. All my favorite memories of those days were of him. There is a whole generation of fans like me who are incredibly attached to him because we truly had nothing else. I loved Roy as a kid but in all honesty, aside from remembering him when my dad would take me to games, my memories of him were mostly with the Avs.

Saku WAS THE HABS for my generation.

He wasn't the best in the league, didn't have any records, no cups or performance awards, but he defined the team and he was the only good player we had for such a long time.

He's not on the same level as the legends in Montreal history, but when you think about impact on the fanbase... There's Rocket Richard, Jean Beliveau, Guy Lafleur, Patrick Roy, and there's Saku Koivu. Not comparing him as a player to these legends, but I contend that his impact on the fanbase was up there with those guys, especially if you factor in how much the league had changed from the old days.

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Claude Giroux grew up a Habs fan in Hearst, Ontario.

He's the one in the Koivu jersey:

th

Weber's Better
Jul 7, 2008
Emotional night. His life on and off the ice touched many people.

Davebo*

You want to highlight those years - have your own ceremony. ****s sake... :rolleyes:

SubyDubyTML

May 13, 2013
As a huge leafs fan living in Montreal, Saku has always been one of those players I've had a tremendous amount of respect for. I lost of a friend of mine at a very young age because of Cancer around the same time Saku was fighting his own battle. The amount of work he's put into the community is hard to describe. Nothing but class.

The Habs organization and their fans did good today. The ceremony, the fans, the ovation was goosebump worthy. I definitely shed a few tears throughout it. I tip my hat to you Saku! You deserve it. :handclap:

thom

Mar 6, 2012
Are you guys serious Koivu is one of the most overated players ever-he did squat for habs not all his fault but facts are facts-He became a millionaire due to Montreal Canadians and NHL-Yes he is a cancer survivor made a great comeback but Im talking about Saku the player.Why not retire Naslund number he led team in scoring 4 times and made 2 finals and won a cup-Im not being serious but telling you the facts

BusQuets

Jul 16, 2010
Are you guys serious Koivu is one of the most overated players ever-he did squat for habs not all his fault but facts are facts-He became a millionaire due to Montreal Canadians and NHL-Yes he is a cancer survivor made a great comeback but Im talking about Saku the player.Why not retire Naslund number he led team in scoring 4 times and made 2 finals and won a cup-Im not being serious but telling you the facts

This is just sad post.. :amazed:

didimentionlarseller

Snipers are a dying bread in the NHL
Nov 23, 2014
St Henri

:facepalm:

GrantLemons

Church of FYOUS
Feb 3, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Should've done the Alfredsson and let him skate the warmup.

Always enjoyed the days when the Leafs/Habs/Sens had the three Euro captains Sundin/Koivu/Alfredsson.

All the best to him.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->